Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Formula Hoosiers
Attached Thumbnails SC aftermarket speakers-compressed-formula-hoosiers.jpg  
Old 12-27-01, 08:23 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Alum head forged roller cam juice motor
Attached Thumbnails SC aftermarket speakers-compressed-formula-eng-on-stand.jpg  
Old 12-27-01, 08:25 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

IROC Mickey Thompsons Englishtown
Attached Thumbnails SC aftermarket speakers-compressed-iroc-englishtown-pits.jpg  
Old 12-27-01, 08:26 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

IROC all throttle
Attached Thumbnails SC aftermarket speakers-compressed-iroc-burnout-2.jpg.jpg  
Old 12-27-01, 08:28 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Funky paint, rippin' carbureted 302 and totally reworked suspension
Attached Thumbnails SC aftermarket speakers-compressed-stang-86.jpg  
Old 12-27-01, 08:29 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Tow vehicle
Attached Thumbnails SC aftermarket speakers-compressed-jgc.jpg  
Old 12-27-01, 08:33 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Always wanted a GNX. Love the T-type. Man those cars were fast. Had an oppurtunity to buy a Anniv TA with the GN motor at auction one day. Car had 12,000 original miles, loaded , but had a dent in pass rear quarter panel. Car sold for 9,000. Still had original window sticker on window. Dumb !!!!!!!!!! I think I'll leave the side panels alone. Rack is turning out well, you may want to do something similar. Would be really easy to remove. Only going to be held in with four L-brackets. I'll take pic's for you, and still have all dimensions. Not looking forward to recarpeting everything. Damn spray adhesive gets everywhere!!!
Are you still interested in the fours and tweeters??? There just taking up space in my office.

Shane
Old 12-27-01, 08:40 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Mustangs too, had three of those. 87 GT w/ built 306. Damn that car was fast. Wish I had all the money I've spent on all these damn cars. Probably could have retired already. Love the IROC. Gotta love a Tuned Port!!!

Shane
Old 12-27-01, 10:24 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

That IROC had a big plate system on it, used to launch real hard on the street, launching on the hit on a 275-50D Hoosier Quick Time I thought I saw god. That car, on one of it's last 'appearances,' beat a big block tunnel ram '66 Chevelle with a M22 4spd, ladder bars, and slicks+skinnies. No, i'm not on crack, it ran real nice. The car was driven by a local hotshoe, Danny Johnson. We agreed upon a set $$ amount and agreed to meet at Oak Street (quarter is marked off literally across the road with a spray can, cops keep removing it, it keeps getting repainted). We agree to run street tire to street tire (read DOT's), so I show up w/ my Hoosiers, and this guy has damn slicks n' skinnies bolted up! Needless to say, him and his crew couldn't come up with the agreed upon $$, so we settled on a measley wager (hardly worth the CAM2) and away we went. Freakin' guy pulled his left front wheel on the leave, I was in the left lane and remember thinking 'jeese, hope I can top end this guy' as I saw his fender whack into the air. Grrr, ladder bars, I got this big ol' torque arm under me... Anyways, guess he couldn't tune those two carburetors too well, got him upstairs by literally a marker light. Matter of fact, it was so close I thought I lost, but the 40 or so people at the finish line said I had him. The blk T-Type was an '84 that me and my friend Anthony swapped a complete '87 drivetrain into, LOTS of wiring, basically had to gut the car first, but man, was it worth it. That thing used to toast a 200-R4 trans for breakfast, lol. Had several Stangs also, a '67 Shelby replica, a gutted Capri, couple of convertibles, etc. How could you turn down that Pace Car TA?
Old 12-27-01, 10:55 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Bought a 92 Z28 305 TPI 5-speed instead. Talk about breaking rearends and transmissions. The Borg-Warner was rated at 285ft
pounds torque. I was spraying 200 on the motor with the second NOS progressive controler ever made. Car was making about 430 ft torque. Car would run 12.30's all day long. Seemed fast in 95. Out of all the cars i owned, it was my favorite. Kept trying to blow it up to put a 383 in it, but she kept taking it. Had South Side machine lift bar kit in rear. Damn thing would barely go over a speed bump. First wife caused me to sell it. Don't miss her. (Ha Ha) Can you imagine that GN motor in our SC with a five speed automatic and the independent rear suspension. There are times when I envy the SC 300 guys. Can't believe they can't make a vortech work on our motor. Computer can't be that complicated.

S
Old 12-27-01, 11:54 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

A Vortech WILL work on our motor, we are exploring the fabrication right now (shhhh, hehe). I'm so conflicted right now, sink a fistful of $$ into R&D making the 1UZ car fast, or just go the easy way and pick up a 2JZ car and turbo it. I think in the end it'll be worth it to stick with the V8. Sure, there's a proven formula for making close to 1000hp on the street with the 2JZ series engine, but if we straighten out the blower issues, I think we can have the edge in the end, what with an extra Pepsi bottle worth of displacement and all. Here's what worries me. This is not a flame towards SRT
Old 12-27-01, 12:09 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Sorry, hit the submit button by accident. I was saying, I have nothing but respect for Mo, but his GS4 has had MAJOR work done to the motor, bulletproof bottom end, tons of boost, etc, but the quickest i've seen him run (unless he's sandbagging) is 12.0 at a mph that was equivalent to an SC3 with a stage 1.5 turbo kit. This is an '800hp car', with potential for more, so these times scare me. Scott Hureau ran a 12.72 with little more than a basic kit, and the car was nowhere near potential, he's probably a solid 11 now, on a slick. Still, Todd Matsubura ran 12.30s with an SC4 with a monster hit and some management. I'm thinking it's possible, on the stock short block, to go well into the 11's, perhaps even a 10.99, with an sc4 running about 2bar worth of atmosphere, FMIC, 75-shot, stand-alone, full fuel system, LSD, built auto, and slicks. I know the SC3 can do it (Lance Ho Lung, 10.94 if I recall). When I need inspiration, I think of the Blast Racing SC4, i'd say that's a better reflection of the 1UZ's potential, not the TT SC4 that Mechtech built that produced 'only' 350hp, no offense to Jim McFarland, even though he quoted me $15,000 for the work.
Old 12-27-01, 12:25 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I am truly amazed that 305 took a 200shot. By the way, I never blew a single T5 in my formula, and that car pulled a wheel at the track, on slicks, with juice, gears, you name it, and that was with quite a few more cubes than 305. I just took it easy going into 3rd, avoided powershifting (especially on the hit), and prayed every time I side-stepped that clutch pedal at 4500rpm. Used to smoke clutches on the regular once I put the juice on it, but no one ever found the N2O in the car, even auto crime, who detained me on 'car night' for about 1 1/2 hrs, a true moneymaker. Did you have the second generation Southside kit, the one with the pseudo ladder bars? We built up a Formula with that kit, a manhole cover that stuck up too far caught that jumbo crossmember it comes with, and literally twisted the SLP alum driveshaft, among other things. I think that kit is more for a 9-sec car, seems you need to give it big time power for it to work properly. By the way, i'd much rather have a turbo'd JZ motor than a 3.8 GN motor, plus i'm sure you know that a Buick motor in a Lex would be sacriledge (and we've pushed the limits, we built a destroked 400 (377c.i.) and dropped it into an '80 Capri with a '91 GT body conversion, just so a friend of mine could enter a Ford in the Super Chevy Show (Chevy powered, after all), took a lot of fabrication, but it got daylight on it's first run, and shut lots of people up, plus it turned out to be a very consistent bracket car).
Old 12-27-01, 01:24 PM
SSmith
Instructor

It was the little 305 that could. You don't no how many people I had tell me that a 305 couldn't take what I was doing. I think a lot of the problem I had with transmission and rear end was when I had the SSM kit installed. I think the guy didn't set the pinion angle up right when he welded on the bars. I was eating up synchros in the transmision and spider gears in the rear end. I really wasn't that hard on the car, it was my baby at the time. Problem was after a few beers everyone wanted to see it break the tires loose at 70 on the bottle. Wish I had the money back from filling that tank all the time. It would be nice to see someone build up the motor. Does anyone even offer camshafts for the car. How stout is the bottom end. These cars run forged or cast cranks. Never really done a history on the motor. I'd really like to know the difference between the 250 hp motor I have and the 290 hp that the later models have. Any idea??

S
Old 12-27-01, 02:30 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Shane, do I sound like the kind of guy that wouldn't know? I'll try to keep this one short, since i'm pissed, my converter was never ordered (ordered some Iridium plugs to feel better, $15 a pop! ouch!). The 1UZ has alum block and heads, forged internals, big @ss oil pickup, nice webbed block, 6-bolt press-in cross-bolted mains (yesiree), it's like Prego, it's in there! Ready and willing. In the States, you'll have lots of fun finding cams for the 1UZ (and four of 'em, $$$), but in Japan C's makes cams for our car, plus there's a guy in Australia I can put you in touch with (if I post his name, all my secrets are out, grrr) that can custom grind cams for you. The '92-95 had 250 flywheel hp, the '96-97 had 10hp and 10lbs ft more torque (had the motor that debuted in the '95 LS), '98-2K had 290hp, these are the VVT-i motors, modern day musclecar. So, when do we start building our juice setups? After Focals? lol

Quick Reply: SC aftermarket speakers