Sponsored by:

My 1992 LS 400- speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-01, 07:11 PM
Sedrick31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1992 LS 400- speakers

I have a 1992 LS 400. I would like to install some new speakers and a woofer. It seems to me that there is 1 factory woofer in the rear. Can I just replace that one with a good after-market woofer? I also have the factory cd changer in the trunk, this works very well but I want to upgrade to a new system. There doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from for reciever/cd head units. Can anyone help? Can I just use my factory unit and install some pre-amp outputs , then go with new speakers?

Sedrick
Evanston, IL
Old 12-22-01, 04:50 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have got to remember that the factory system in your LS was designed to push only those speakers. I believe the speakers are like 6 Ohms, whereas normal speakers at your local car audio store are going to be 4 Ohms. Some subwoofers can be wired to get a 6 Ohm load, but I don't think those subs are going to work with your application. Your best bet is to take your car to a reputable car audio shop and have them tell you what your options are. I know there are wiring adapter harnesses for even the most sophisticated audio system out there, so mating your factory deck to an aftermarket amp can be done, but I just don't have the resources to tell you what you need.

One word of advice, just because there are big flashy car audio chain stores around, they are not always the best. Sometimes those Mom & Pop car audio shops have the best installers. Before you mention your plans to the salesman ask to look at some of their work. My audio installer id phenomenal and clean work, but he was a pot head and it took the guy 2 weeks to install my system when it should have only taken 2 days. Also, look at the installation bay if you can. The cleaner the better, with screws left out wiring harnesses on the floor, it would be very easy to drive your car away not realizing that your missing nuts and bolts. Trust me this happens all the time, especially when you have a custom alarm system installed. Extra "Mystery Parts" always appear and you know they are not going to say to you, "Do you know where these belong?"

Just my .02. I have had a custom audio system in each of my three cars since 1994.

Jayson
Old 12-23-01, 08:07 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will need a separate amp in order for your new speakers to sound better then your stock system.

I suggest you go to a few stereo installers and ask them what they think and ask for a quote. Write it all down and we can tell you which the best deal was. And give you a few optins.