Sponsored by:

SC300 Headunit Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 01:48 PM
Nick Lewis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Headunit Install

Alright, I searched on this subject and found a couple of threads but didn't really find exactly all the answers I was looking for..
Anyways, I was wondering what has everybody done to install a after market HU, as well I was told that I would have to rerun the wires to the speakers (true?). Also that I would loose the function of the factory sub (?) and the possibility of a static sound could arise.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-03-07, 02:51 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

You can get a metra harness that will run off of the factory amp. This will usually sound much better than the amp in a head unit. The factory sub can be hooked up by wiring in rca ends to the correct wires and using the head units low level outputs.
Old 07-03-07, 09:15 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dentpusher
You can get a metra harness that will run off of the factory amp. This will usually sound much better than the amp in a head unit. The factory sub can be hooked up by wiring in rca ends to the correct wires and using the head units low level outputs.
Thats a little misleading.
The Metra harness is useless behind the deck unless you want to convert the low level outputs all to RCAs which is a bit of a pain becuase they all share the same ground (center pin of the RCA). The Metra harness will work at the amp but why bother when running new wire directly to the speakers is easier and better in my opinion. Most decks have a reasonable enough amplifier to be pretty close (if not better) to the factory unit in the trunk. The best bet is to run an aftermarket amp anyways instead of the factory amp or deck amp.

To make the factory sub work you can either integrate the factory amp like dentpusher said, get a more powerful amp to run the factory sub or ditch the sub alltogether and go aftermarket for both sub and sub amp.
Old 07-04-07, 01:38 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

just run speaker wires from the deck to the rear passenger side of the trunk where the factory amp is. clip wires from amp, and connect to headunit. /thread
Old 07-04-07, 12:04 PM
Nick Lewis
Driver

Thanks for the information... How have you guys installed
the actual headunit, what install kit have you used?
Old 07-04-07, 12:52 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I bypassed the factory amps because I could not use them with the aftermarket unit. I believe the factory amps only allow the certain signal factory unit output. I just ran wires to each speaker. I did not use a install kit because I used a double din aftermarket unit.
Old 07-04-07, 06:15 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

there is no specific kit, you either need to use a 1/2 din or 1 1/2 din pocket depending on what radio you use. either that or make a custom one, or have a shop make one for you. I'll post more pics of my status with mine, I should be done with it in the next few days.
Old 07-04-07, 07:23 PM
kratos
Pole Position

I made my din and a half kit out of 1/4" hardboard glued together and painted with black texture paint. Turned out great and was very easy to make. jeez, I should make a whole bunch and sell them on here. LOL...
Old 07-06-07, 12:44 AM
Nick Lewis
Driver

Originally Posted by kratos
I made my din and a half kit out of 1/4" hardboard glued together and painted with black texture paint. Turned out great and was very easy to make. jeez, I should make a whole bunch and sell them on here. LOL...
Yeah I know it seems to be a common question.. but the prices of install shops seems to be a little ridiculous to me. I'm still debating on what I should do... I am thinkin' about buying a multichannel amp (5 ch.) I'm happy with the sound of my factory system for now; I assume that with a 5 channel amp that it should be pretty simple to deal with the install?
Old 07-06-07, 04:17 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

pic please or write up
Old 07-07-07, 12:03 AM
kratos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nick Lewis
Yeah I know it seems to be a common question.. but the prices of install shops seems to be a little ridiculous to me. I'm still debating on what I should do... I am thinkin' about buying a multichannel amp (5 ch.) I'm happy with the sound of my factory system for now; I assume that with a 5 channel amp that it should be pretty simple to deal with the install?
A 5 channel would be a great replacement for the stock 5 channel. Either that or a decent 4 channel and a larger mono amp to power a sub. Either option is a reasonable install.

Originally Posted by t70 supra
pic please or write up
Old 07-07-07, 06:44 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am gathering from this thread and others that if you try and just swap the headunit while reusing the factory amp and speakers, you are in for a headache. But, if you install an aftermarket headunit and amp, you can reuse the factory speakers, maintain sound quality, and keep installation straight forward. Am I correct in what I am reading (from this thread a few others I have read)?

Having already sold my CD Changer to make room for a relocated battery, I would like I swap out the factory headunit and amp to allow me to listen to CD's again while keeping the install straight forward. Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Old 07-07-07, 10:12 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

me i am running a dual channel pioneer amp and head unit but i dont not know how to swap them in i seen this guide on some site but i couldent remember but i hate drivin my sc (sticking with the audi now) cause thereno raido or AC
Old 07-07-07, 08:41 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blizzy
I am gathering from this thread and others that if you try and just swap the headunit while reusing the factory amp and speakers, you are in for a headache. But, if you install an aftermarket headunit and amp, you can reuse the factory speakers, maintain sound quality, and keep installation straight forward. Am I correct in what I am reading (from this thread a few others I have read)?

Having already sold my CD Changer to make room for a relocated battery, I would like I swap out the factory headunit and amp to allow me to listen to CD's again while keeping the install straight forward. Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Correct. From my experience this is the best result.
Obviously upgrading speakers and the Subwoofer is even better as the stock 4" component set up front is lacking in every way. Of course thats a little more involved (but very straight-forward).

Originally Posted by t70 supra
me i am running a dual channel pioneer amp and head unit but i dont not know how to swap them in i seen this guide on some site but i couldent remember but i hate drivin my sc (sticking with the audi now) cause thereno raido or AC
My suggestion for you is to find a reputable shop to do this for you. Honda Civics are pretty easy - SC300's and SC400's however require a bit more experience and knowledge than the average DIY guy has (in my opinion).

Its one thing to save a few bucks and try and learn but potentially damaging your car and its electronics can cost more than you think.