Sponsored by:

GS Double Din Radio Faceplate

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 10:19 PM
cr00klyn71
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS Double Din Radio Faceplate

I just picked up a PIONEER 6.5" TOUCH SCREEN NAVIGATION AVIC-D1, and im sure i need a double din faceplate to go with it for the install. I seen one on Ltuned parts for $45, http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1726

I wanted to know are there any other companies that makes the double din faceplate? I checked scosche din kits, and it seems like they dont make the one for a GS.
Old 07-08-07, 10:39 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

You're probably better off going with the one from Carson. It's OEM and from what I've seen and heard it matches best with the dash.
Old 07-08-07, 10:44 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i liked the one i had in my last gs better then the oem one offered and its less then half the price. i had a thread a ways back where i posted the brand and part number... ill try and find it for you, while im searching, you search too.

Last edited by upstateGS4; 07-08-07 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 10:54 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the old thread i made showing the kit i had... i thought it was $20 its $30... well anyway you have a choice now.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=gs+double+din
Old 07-09-07, 05:56 AM
cr00klyn71
Pole Position

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
heres the old thread i made showing the kit i had... i thought it was $20 its $30... well anyway you have a choice now.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=gs+double+din
Goodlook
Old 07-09-07, 09:18 AM
cr00klyn71
Pole Position

Btw, also what wire harness can I use to integrated the factory Nakamichi system to the aftermarket unit? (99' GS400)
Old 07-09-07, 10:16 AM
cmc07e
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me tell you man. Im a Engineer and I did alot of reserach on this. Unless you are a wiring guru your not going to be able to use the stock amp. And a wire harness doesnt exist. I order two different ones against what people told me and neither worked. You are going to have to rewire your speakers, but you can cut your amp wire and wire into them. You are going to have to find a wiring diagram http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ard/Lexus.html and cut your wires at your amp. It is located in behind your glove box. Its the metal box with all the wires in it mounted on the right most side of your glove box.

Here you can splice into your speakers, but your head unit is only going to push them so I would get a amp. Trust me your going to want more power anyways cause I was like you when i started and ended up putting in a Full system. I still spliced into the stock speaker wires at the amp cause they are thick enough.

And the face plate. Man, spend $20.00 at circuit city or any other stereo install shop.

And if you reall ywant it to look right get a new wood grain face plate with no button holes cut out, make a metal template and cut out the 6.5 inch hole. I will posted pics of mine when I get home.
Old 07-09-07, 10:37 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cmc07e
Here you can splice into your speakers, but your head unit is only going to push them so I would get a amp. Trust me your going to want more power anyways cause I was like you when i started and ended up putting in a Full system. I still spliced into the stock speaker wires at the amp cause they are thick enough.
I am in engineering also but, I chose the much more **** route, I ran maybe 75ft of 12ga Stinger HPM twisted speaker wire to all speakers.
Old 07-09-07, 10:40 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There isn't a vehicle wiring harness adapter harness available for the GS's. The aftermarket headunit harness has to be hard-wired into the factory harness. I have the double din dash kit from Carson and I don't know why anyone would want something else?? It matches perfectly and is from Toyota.
Old 07-09-07, 10:59 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmc07e
You are going to have to rewire your speakers, but you can cut your amp wire and wire into them. You are going to have to find a wiring diagram and cut your wires at your amp. It is located in behind your glove box. Its the metal box with all the wires in it mounted on the right most side of your glove box.
So, what the heck is in my trunk on the right hand side?? Under the carpet there is what looks to be an amp, is that for my sub or something completely different?
Old 07-09-07, 11:41 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FlavesLex
So, what the heck is in my trunk on the right hand side?? Under the carpet there is what looks to be an amp, is that for my sub or something completely different?
Mine is on the right hand side in the trunk where you say yours is. I have the Nak sound system.
Old 07-09-07, 01:22 PM
cmc07e
Driver

Your amp may be in the trunk, mine is in the glovebox. As far as walking into any shop for the faceplate I did and it worked perfect. And I live in the middle of nowhere. As for the wire harness, if you have one that you have used and you know works with our cars, help the man out with the link or part number. Trust me their aint one, but maybe Im wrong.
Old 07-10-07, 04:55 AM
1upurs
Driver School Candidate

If you are still looking for a double din faceplate I have one I bought yesterday, brand new never open. 25 ship to you. I have the pioneer avic d1 and was going to put it in my car but i just found out i have some bills that i need to take care of.
Old 07-13-07, 01:27 PM
docrings
Rookie

Originally Posted by FlavesLex
In my 2000 GS400, that black box in the right trunkwell is my NAV hard-drive...

Old 07-14-07, 07:19 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cr00klyn71
Btw, also what wire harness can I use to integrated the factory Nakamichi system to the aftermarket unit? (99' GS400)
Don't Don't Don't even think about wiring an AVIC-D1 to the rest of a stock system. Save up for an amp if you have to, but DO NOT use the stock amp. You could use the stock speakers if you wanted, but that's really a waste too. For a few hundred bucks you can put an amp in your trunk, wire the headunit directly to it, and splice into the stock speaker wires. Then you can replace the speakers at your leisure at some later date.
You will pull your hair out for no reason trying to mate an aftermarket headunit to the stock system, and wind up with a crappy system to boot. And that's if you actually get it to work properly.

BTW, for $45, get the Carson/Toyota faceplate. The side pieces are METAL, and the front trim matches PERFECTLY.