Sponsored by:

GPS Inaccuraccy

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 11:05 PM
mhnr@yahoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Inaccuraccy

I have a new RX400h and the GPS seems very inaccurate and is unreliable. Lexus says a 300 foot error is "operating as designed" . My $300 Garmin has a 2 meter error!!! Any similar problems or suggestions. It has been to the dealer and they say "live with it".
Old 07-11-07, 11:52 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you be a little more specific on the "errors" and "inaccuracies"?
Old 07-13-07, 08:07 AM
whokiid
Driver

how bad is it exactly? i was driving around in the LA area and my navigation on my sc430 once told me i was driving somewhere near las vegas, but it corrected itself the next morning.
Old 07-14-07, 11:10 AM
mhnr@yahoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 88supramki
can you be a little more specific on the "errors" and "inaccuracies"?
multitude of errors...example going to restaurant from POI directory when 1/8 mile on left instead of proceeding tells me to make a legal U turn taking me in opposite and wrong direction also so if I miss a turn to my house it takes me around and in error and tells me I have reached my destination ..not close and if I didn't know where I was I would be lost because there are no streets indicated on the screen. My
garmin for $2000 less took me exacltly where I have to go..Lexus corporate say this is OIK and a 300 foot error is acceptable..it is in the manual!!!!!
Old 07-14-07, 11:38 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing Garmin to the factory navi is no joke... Garmin only uses the GPS signal to compute, therefore if you are driving in a place with many streets and drive the normal speed and take a wrong turn, Garmin takes a while to readjust.

Read below on the stock navi system..

Originally Posted by whokiid
how bad is it exactly? i was driving around in the LA area and my navigation on my sc430 once told me i was driving somewhere near las vegas, but it corrected itself the next morning.
The navigation only receives the signal from the satellites once in a while. Most of the time it's operating on the facts that your wheels are moving.
Old 07-14-07, 12:51 PM
BeerWolf
Driver School Candidate

I hate Garmin!

We had a Lowrance 500c that we loved and worked great. Apparently, so did someone else who broke out our car window to steal it while we were in the movies... So we bought a Garmin Nuvi 660 thinking it was so much better since it was newer. We were so wrong. It would take us out of the way to get to places and have us take wrong turns. We blame a car wreck on Garmin for telling us to get off the interstate in MO onto the wrong turn off ramp. We were towing a Jeep behind our 4Runner and we jack knifed the Jeep because we couldn't slow down in time on the wrong ramp... Thank you Garmin...

I love my Navi on my Lexus RX350. I think it's easy to use and mine is accurate. I love the voice commands. I wouldn't have a Garmin again if you gave me one for free.
Old 07-14-07, 07:08 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You may have a bad antenna. You should have this checked. It sounds like your unit is not receiving enough of the satellite signals. You need at least 3, preferably 4 or more to properly gauge position. I don't have a Lexus Navi - if your unit has a typical screen where u can see how many & which satellites its receiving, you can tell what's going on. Short of that, you should force your dealer to replace both the navi headunit AND the antenna, until they get it working.
Be careful with assumptions using POIs. Some of the data is not accurate enough - lat/long pinpointing can be in the middle of a street or intersection (i.e. ambiguous), or addresses can be wrong - sometimes very wrong. However, as you are driving, the unit should be showing the exact position that you are in on the road.

Jerry