Sponsored by:

2nd Gen GS Boxes / IB Plate by request

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 07:48 PM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen GS Boxes / IB Plate by request

Had a bunch of requests to share these when we finished them. We've been begging everyone to get a 2nd gen GS in here.

Right.

Left.

And my personal favorite

The Left and Right boxes are both right in the .55cF range. They can be modified pretty easily and built forward with MDF or glass pretty easy to fit other speakers. 11Kv.2's were used in this one as they just fit in there so perfect. Grills weren't called for in this one but it's really easy to add in a flush mount fashion so it looks 'sunk' into the box.

As far as the stock replacement IB one went. Man I love it. Use the same mounting locations and no cutting. It could be done like that to fit in any 8" drivers and while I can't guarantee it will fit any 10" drivers as long as the cutout of the surround is no larger than a SQ10 / 11Kv.2 / 11Ov.2 it should fit in there just fine.

While we don't have them on the web site or anything right now I've responded to about half a dozen PM's about these so far and the only question I've run across is one regarding 15" subwoofer placement. For that I'd recommend a more typical enclosure. 12" drivers could fit into the corner with a glass build out but other than that fitments gets iffy.
Old 07-15-07, 08:06 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Very nice set-up! Thanks for sharing the pics
Old 07-16-07, 10:25 AM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Got a PM about front clearance on the IB plate.

Sorry for the big pics.

Has really good clearance. Don't need to modify the rear deck at all. I would suggest applying sound deadening to it though.
Old 07-16-07, 11:15 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like it was executed quite nicely
Old 07-16-07, 01:36 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very clean looking setup
Old 07-16-07, 02:42 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

I'm interested in getting the left and right enclosures made like that? How much do they cost?
Old 07-16-07, 02:44 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

nevermind. i checked the ED website and found the info

what's the difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 ib kit?

Last edited by maintrain; 07-16-07 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-16-07, 04:22 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very clean.
Old 07-17-07, 12:42 PM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Originally Posted by maintrain
nevermind. i checked the ED website and found the info

what's the difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 ib kit?
Stage 1 Comes with a 11Kv.2
Stage 2 Comes with a 11Ov.2

Working on getting more information online with the pics over the next few days. Right now it's pretty scattered and incomplete on the site.

Thanks for the comments guys. Really proud of how these turned out. That IB plate is so easy it's not even funny to get into the car.
Old 07-18-07, 05:23 PM
tam4G63
Driver

looks very clean, i'm curious on the sound qaulity and what kind of amplifier would you recommend running ??? Very interested and looking to purchase something soon ... Thanks for sharing

Nine.1 and nine.2x ????
Old 07-19-07, 03:29 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You should perhaps recess the wooden spacer by another 1", so that you can fit a 12" sub. sure some of the cone would be covered.. but it shouldn't really matter in terms of output. The 13Ov.2 would be much nicer to have in the rear deck

And want to do this for an LS400? First generation? Has a stock 8" sub in the rear deck. I know PLENTY of people will buy it! (We get newbies asking about sub replacement almost every week)..
Old 07-19-07, 04:52 AM
D.C.GS430
Pole Position

I'm loving that set-up. I want mine like that nice and clean
Old 07-19-07, 09:06 AM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Originally Posted by tam4G63
looks very clean, i'm curious on the sound qaulity and what kind of amplifier would you recommend running ??? Very interested and looking to purchase something soon ... Thanks for sharing

Nine.1 and nine.2x ????
Tam,

Believe it or not. Sound quality is the easy part. Getting the 11Kv.2 to sound good isn't tough really. Give it the right air space and let it rip.

As far as output goes you'll want to let that determine your amp.

Single 11Kv.2. Use a NINe.2
Pair of 11Kv.2's. Use a NINe.2X or NINe.1 (whichever fits budget) NINe.1 will give you more output.

As far as the IB configuration. NINe.2 matched to 11Kv.2 or 11Ov.2 works fantastic.

You should perhaps recess the wooden spacer by another 1", so that you can fit a 12" sub. sure some of the cone would be covered.. but it shouldn't really matter in terms of output.
The biggest issue here is depth. The boxes aren't all that deep. To fit a 12" driver that is about as deep as a 13Kv.2 (read : 5.75") the front just needs to be built out with fiberglass. Doing that isn't too tough. For this initial client who had this design it wasn't needed though.

Now that we can build on top of the back design we can build it out with grills or otherwise for any number of speakers. It can be customized to virtually any speaker. Just a matter of glassing it out far enough. Not a huge deal really. Cost wouldn't change a ton. A little yes. Not a ton though.

And want to do this for an LS400? First generation? Has a stock 8" sub in the rear deck. I know PLENTY of people will buy it! (We get newbies asking about sub replacement almost every week)..
I don't see why not. If I could get the stock speaker or a car here in our shop we could do it pretty quickly I'm sure.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Between these and some of the new fiberglass vette boxes is doing we're really excited about progress in VSi production last week.
Old 07-19-07, 12:25 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kaosmoon
Tam,

Believe it or not. Sound quality is the easy part. Getting the 11Kv.2 to sound good isn't tough really. Give it the right air space and let it rip.

As far as output goes you'll want to let that determine your amp.

Single 11Kv.2. Use a NINe.2
Pair of 11Kv.2's. Use a NINe.2X or NINe.1 (whichever fits budget) NINe.1 will give you more output.

As far as the IB configuration. NINe.2 matched to 11Kv.2 or 11Ov.2 works fantastic.

The biggest issue here is depth. The boxes aren't all that deep. To fit a 12" driver that is about as deep as a 13Kv.2 (read : 5.75") the front just needs to be built out with fiberglass. Doing that isn't too tough. For this initial client who had this design it wasn't needed though.

Now that we can build on top of the back design we can build it out with grills or otherwise for any number of speakers. It can be customized to virtually any speaker. Just a matter of glassing it out far enough. Not a huge deal really. Cost wouldn't change a ton. A little yes. Not a ton though.

I don't see why not. If I could get the stock speaker or a car here in our shop we could do it pretty quickly I'm sure.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Between these and some of the new fiberglass vette boxes is doing we're really excited about progress in VSi production last week.

If I lived in IL, you'd have my car right away. I can however send you my stock subwoofer. The mounting rings are broken, so maybe I can just buy one off eBay, and have it shipped directly to you, if you are interested in performing this project?

I would still like to have a 12 however, and for depth reasons, it would need to be glassed back a little bit, and because there are those tension rods in the trunk that help hold it up.

I think you would really need to have a car in the shop-- there are LS400's everywhere here, you've got to be able to find one out there too!

Let me know if I should send the stock sub.
Old 07-19-07, 03:22 PM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Suneet
If I lived in IL, you'd have my car right away. I can however send you my stock subwoofer. The mounting rings are broken, so maybe I can just buy one off eBay, and have it shipped directly to you, if you are interested in performing this project?

I would still like to have a 12 however, and for depth reasons, it would need to be glassed back a little bit, and because there are those tension rods in the trunk that help hold it up.

I think you would really need to have a car in the shop-- there are LS400's everywhere here, you've got to be able to find one out there too!

Let me know if I should send the stock sub.
Certainly! We'd love to do it.

If you can PM me your phone number I'll give you a ring sometime tomorrow so maybe I can get a better feel for what you guys are looking for.

Where we are right now. The LS stuff is harder to come by.

Advantage of Iowa is that all our money goes into manufacturing and inventory. Not real estate. Down fall of Iowa is sometimes the product is harder to R&D because there's no access to what we need.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen GS Boxes / IB Plate by request