Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Free-air subs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07 | 11:43 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Default Free-air subs?

Does anyone besides Kicker make them anymore?
Old 07-19-07 | 07:47 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Not many use the marketing term "fee air" but most subs can be used in this alignment. Does the subwoofer have to be "free-air"?

-Robert
Old 07-19-07 | 09:07 AM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Originally Posted by nthach
Does anyone besides Kicker make them anymore?
Speakers that work IB can be had by numerous companies.

What are you looking to do?
Old 07-19-07 | 12:28 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kaosmoon
Speakers that work IB can be had by numerous companies.

What are you looking to do?
He's got an LS400 too, and probably wants to replace the factory free-air sub with another one. See what I mean? There's a huge market here
Old 07-19-07 | 03:15 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

I was planning to run a JL 8W2V3-D2 in a box for bass. I did a test run with a 10" Pioneer in a sealed box and the bass just rattles the trunk.
Old 07-19-07 | 03:20 PM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Check with JL about running the 8 IB. It may be able to do it. 9Kv.2's and 11Kv.2's are used like that all the time as well. I'm not sure about the JL suspension though. Give JL a ring on their tech line and I'm sure they'll let you know right off.
Old 07-19-07 | 03:42 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kaosmoon
Check with JL about running the 8 IB. It may be able to do it. 9Kv.2's and 11Kv.2's are used like that all the time as well. I'm not sure about the JL suspension though. Give JL a ring on their tech line and I'm sure they'll let you know right off.
aren't the IBs discontinued?
Old 07-19-07 | 05:09 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

aren't the IBs discontinued?
The thread I linked to earlier and kaosmoon (Ben, the owner of Elemental Designs) are both saying that a sub doesn't have to be labeled as IB or free-air to be used that way. His subs are used that way all of the time with a lot of success. Other subs that don't carry the IB marketing label are also used that way. In the linked thread, I tried to give examples of the parameters to look at when choosing an IB. If you are proficient with WinISD, Unibox or any other subwoofer modeling program, you can easily tell if a sub will work in an IB alignment. If you don't want to take the time to model it, at least call the manufacturer to find out if it will work.

-Robert
Old 07-19-07 | 06:13 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

I was planning to run a JL 8W2V3-D2 in a box for bass. I did a test run with a 10" Pioneer in a sealed box and the bass just rattles the trunk.
You NEED to use sound deadening. No matter what setup you go with.. your trunk is going to rattle. A free-air setup will rattle your rear deck like none other, unless you use sound deadening.

I use a combination of products. I've bought RAAMmat from www.raamaudio.com, as well as eDead from Elemental Designs.

Doing a good sound deadening installation will significantly increase the output from your sub, as well as flatten its frequency response.

Even when I had the tiny 8" Kicker free-air sub in my rear deck, it rattled the trunk. And the rear deck like a ****.

And like Ben said, I would definitely look into the 8" offerings from Elemental Designs, people have successfully used them in "free-air" setups. Don't pay attention to subs being branded free-air or not.

Last edited by Suneet; 07-19-07 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-19-07 | 07:30 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Suneet
You NEED to use sound deadening. No matter what setup you go with.. your trunk is going to rattle. A free-air setup will rattle your rear deck like none other, unless you use sound deadening.

I use a combination of products. I've bought RAAMmat from www.raamaudio.com, as well as eDead from Elemental Designs.

Doing a good sound deadening installation will significantly increase the output from your sub, as well as flatten its frequency response.

Even when I had the tiny 8" Kicker free-air sub in my rear deck, it rattled the trunk. And the rear deck like a ****.

And like Ben said, I would definitely look into the 8" offerings from Elemental Designs, people have successfully used them in "free-air" setups. Don't pay attention to subs being branded free-air or not.
How much RAAMmat/Second Skin do I need, the quarter panels are rattling like a ****...
Old 07-19-07 | 09:15 PM
phy
Driver

How much RAAMmat/Second Skin do I need, the quarter panels are rattling like a ****...
That's probably the air vent's area. When u pop the inside carpet out on the sides in the trunk u'll see a little plastic thing with rubber flaps. I think it's used to vent the air in the trunk. That's probably what's rattling, it sounds like the quarter panels cause it's right behind the quarter panels. I filled the holes with Great Stuff expansion foam u can find at home depot or lowes. As for IB sub woofers there's a company called Image Dynamics www.imagedynamicsusa.com , all their sub woofers can be used for IB applications.
Old 07-19-07 | 09:44 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phy
That's probably the air vent's area. When u pop the inside carpet out on the sides in the trunk u'll see a little plastic thing with rubber flaps. I think it's used to vent the air in the trunk. That's probably what's rattling, it sounds like the quarter panels cause it's right behind the quarter panels. I filled the holes with Great Stuff expansion foam u can find at home depot or lowes. As for IB sub woofers there's a company called Image Dynamics www.imagedynamicsusa.com , all their sub woofers can be used for IB applications.
I put my hand on the quarter panel with the Pioneer on full tilt, i could feel it vibrating.
Old 07-19-07 | 10:16 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Try putting some foam underneath it. The Great Stuff expanding foam works very well too as mentioned.
Old 07-19-07 | 10:24 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Suneet
Try putting some foam underneath it. The Great Stuff expanding foam works very well too as mentioned.
Underneath the vent? The test Pioneer was in a box and I had the system volume midway when the vibrations happened.
Old 07-19-07 | 11:05 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Are you in the south bay at all? Maybe we can meet up and discuss this further in person-- I can then see what issues you're having and show you my setup, which will be done in August sometime. Car is still in the shop for another 2 weeks