Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

I need some help with these JL amps....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 08:25 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some help with these JL amps....

so i picked 2 jl amps from a local seller(JL300/4 and Jl300/2) to replace my 5channel alpine V12. the reason was cos the alpine is not stable at 2ohms but i had been running it like that with my 2 subs and did not want to damage the amp later on. the quality of the sound from the amp to the subs and speakers was nice though. All was fine with the v12 amp.
okay, so i hook up the jl amps and they seem not to be "working properly".
i hooked up the jl300/4 and hooked up the speakers but they are not even loud at all. i dont know if its the settings on the amp or the amp is broken itself. i hooked up the jl300/2 to the subs and same thing. no bass is even coming out of the subs. Just the music with no bass can be faintly heard from the subs.
i dont know how better to explain this but if one hooks up an amp without the subs hooked up, the speakers should still be loud but lack bass. the sound here are not so loud or coordinated. sometimes the highs sound far away etc.
attached here is the back of the jl300/4 and thats exactly how i set it. can anyone with jl amps please give an insight this matter.
another thing i noticed is that there is static sound,not engine whine, static sound coming from the front speakers and tweeters when i plug in the RCAs. even with the audio off, the static is still there. constantly and noticeably. if the rcas are pulled out, there are gone, if car is shut off, they are gone.

are these amps defective or is my tuning wrong. can someon please advise me on how to tune this amp.
FYI, the equalizer and balancer, etc on the headunit were set to flat so as to achieve the best output without hinderance.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/SYS_1.pdf
attached above is a diagram of how i set mine up except my second amp is a jl300/2 while that in the diagram is a jl500/5.
ignore the picture showing the tuning of the jl500/1, the diagram showing how to set the jl300/4 is exactly how i set mine. (the picture at the very bottom)
i listen to mostly rap and r&b. someone please help. the sound is def. not what it should be evn without subs hooked up.

someone please advise
thanks in advance,
olddog
Old 07-23-07, 09:07 PM
GSlider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you purchase the amps from a credible seller? What was the power output on your Alpine, what mids/highs are u running and what subs? Type of enclosure?
Old 07-23-07, 09:25 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by GSlider
Did you purchase the amps from a credible seller? What was the power output on your Alpine, what mids/highs are u running and what subs? Type of enclosure?
got the amps from a local guy here. alpine was giving 50X4 rms + 150X1 rms.
my speakers are infinity ref components in front with 90rms each, infinity coaxials in rear with 60rms each and my subs are 2 kicker c10 comps in box with 150rms each.
i was just reading about the test-tone cd stuff and setting the input sensitivity(gain) of the amps.
even without this test cd to get the right tuning, shouldn't the volume vary from low to high by just turning the input sensitivity ****?
i will try this test cd thing tomorrow and if it does not work then i know the amps are bad cos my wiring was fine with the alpine v12 and even though it gave just half of what the speakers and subs needed, they pounded.
Old 07-24-07, 07:58 PM
olddog
Pole Position

well,
i returned the amps to the seller and got my money back.But am now knida scared to go with jl audio amps. maybe i'll just go back to the good old alpine v12.
Old 07-24-07, 10:58 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

what is your input voltage on? high or low? it should be on low. also check your settings and input sensitivity. Trust me, the 300/2 is NOT a quiet amplifier and neither is the 300/4. You have your settings messed up some how
Old 07-24-07, 11:21 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i returned the amps and we tested them in the sellers van. the jl300/2 was toast as it did not produce nothing and the jl3oo/4 brought sound but created a static crackling sound in my front speakers which could be heard at low volumes. this noise was not there when i had the v12. the seller said it could be my RCAs but the sound still did not impress me. not sure if i want to get another set of jl amps now with all that trouble.
my goal was just to get decent watts for my 90rmsX2 in fronts, 60rmsX2 in rear and 150rmsX2 for the subs.
annoying thing is i already sold the v12 and so have no amp which means no music until i get another amp or amps. only reason i did not want to keep the v12 was cos the sub channel was not stable at 2 ohms and i did not want to destroy the amp by running the sub channel at 2ohms for long(i already had been running it like that sincejanuary)
i was just looking at these two zapco amps from same seller on ebay.
do you think they will satusfy my set up?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Zapco-2-Chann...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Zapco-4-Chann...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by olddog; 07-24-07 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 08:10 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

well your first problem was you bought them from somewhere other than an authorized dealer. we sell JL amps every day and i've been running them in my cars for years. I would take them any day over many other amps in this industry
Old 07-25-07, 10:13 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but I wouldn't blame JL for the problems but the owner. No matter how well built a amp is, if the previous owner wired it incorrectly or abuses it, it will get damaged. I own a 500/5 myself and it's given me no problems at all (bought it used). I'm glad the seller refunded your money but don't let this incident keep you away from future JL products. I suggest that if you plan to buy another amp from a private seller to have him test the amp throughly before buying it to prevent something like that happening again. Good luck.
Old 07-25-07, 10:03 PM
olddog
Pole Position

thanks for the input guys.
i have a budget of $400.
what would you do with this to satisfy this set-up:90rmsX2 in front and 60rmsX2 in the rear and 150rmsX2 for the subs.
i could get a jl300/4 and a jl300/2 or jl250/1 for about 400 on craigslist but its hard cos most sellers are in the U.S and i would really like to test them before buying.
anybody got a hook-up on some JLs or other compatible amps?