Sponsored by:

LoJack

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-01, 04:24 PM
bbailey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoJack

My dealer offered LoJack to me when I picked up my vehicle this week. Cost: $495. Just wondering if people think this is worth the investment.
Old 12-26-01, 01:38 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends...

bbailey,

it depends on a few things:

1) do your local and neighboring police departments use lo-jack for tracking stolen vehicles?

2) do you think it's worth it?

3) is there something better you could look into?

#1 you need to find out on your own.

#2 personally I don't think it is worth it for Lo-Jack because #3 there are definitely alternatives.

Why you ask? What alternatives? Well for one thing Lo-Jack only works after you discover your car is missing - if you go to the train station and leave your car during a work day - a thief has potentially 8+ hours to get somewhere with your car and strip it bare. Second, it has a limited range for where cops need to be looking to find your car. It is expensive. Alpine, Kenwood, Clifford and others all offer stolen vehicle locator units all with different functionality, additionally a company called Elite Logistics uses satellite tracking to monitor your vehicle. It's called Page Track 2, you can add remote start, door lock/unlock, starter disable (won't start even with the correct transponder key) - works great for the would be joy riding valet...tell him to park it where he doesn't have to move it and shut it down. There is a live person that you can call to request functions, or a position update on your vehicle. Additionally, you can get push button service to Lexus Roadside Assist or AAA whichever phone number you program, dispatched to your exact location - ever have a dead zone on a cell phone, satellite has much greater range. Anyway - I have this in mine - drawbacks: more expensive but alot more offered and alot more peace of mind.