Diamond Audio D3 VS. JL Audio W3

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 02:41 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond Audio D3 VS. JL Audio W3

i am looking to make a purchase
between these two speakers which hits harder?
Old 08-01-07, 03:17 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Output and frequency response have more to do with the enclosure than the driver. Model both in WinISD or Unibox and look at the response graphs. Do you want low bass (25 to 30hz) or chest thumping bass (50 to 60hz)? Do you want it to sound clean while doing this? Because sometimes low distortion subs don't sound as loud. People who aren't used to this level of accuracy think they sound weak when in fact they have been listening to crap for so long they don't know what a good sub sounds like.

If you wanted full out SPL, you just missed the TC Sounds sale. They had most of their subs available with a competition package (a light weight cone and loose suspension) that had a very high sensitivity.

-Robert
Old 08-01-07, 03:23 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

so which of the 2 subs are better in your opinion
Old 08-01-07, 04:29 PM
J:M
Pole Position

There is no better sub. You have to choose what attributes you are looking for, AND THEN find out which one is better. One is better in some aspects and the other is stronger in other aspects. I currently have 1 12W3 and it hits "hard". It's definately more SPL than anything else. You feel the bass but unfortunately it's not the most accurate sub. It also depends on what music you listen to. Are you trying to bump your system and be heard 2 blocks down the street? I mean, what are you trying to achieve?

Your question is like me saying, which one is better, a car or a truck?
Old 08-02-07, 07:29 AM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J:M
There is no better sub. You have to choose what attributes you are looking for, AND THEN find out which one is better. One is better in some aspects and the other is stronger in other aspects. I currently have 1 12W3 and it hits "hard". It's definately more SPL than anything else. You feel the bass but unfortunately it's not the most accurate sub. It also depends on what music you listen to. Are you trying to bump your system and be heard 2 blocks down the street? I mean, what are you trying to achieve?

Your question is like me saying, which one is better, a car or a truck?
i dont think its that vague
i was just asking for personal opinion
its more like asking which is better the Gs430 or M45
now if i stated the question another way saying which is better a 12 '' or 15 '' i can understand
Old 08-02-07, 08:11 AM
CDY
Pole Position

I like JL better because Diamond is more about power than clarity and I don't need a sub ruining my music with overbearing decibel levels. Get a W3v3 with the 500/1v2

Last edited by CDY; 08-02-07 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-02-07, 09:03 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

At least if you asked about 12's vs. 15's we could have listed enclosure size as a determining factor on what is "best".

Since you are wanting opinions, JL is a proven company with very high standards and great quality control. Because of their QC and R&D, the prices will be higher than most. Also, they have positioned themselves as a premium product and their price has to reflect that. You can get betters subs for less money from other manufacturers. But if you have the money then JL is a great choice.

For me, I'm partial to TC Sounds until their price increase goes into effect. Then I will probably look at companies like Fi Car Audio. I like knowing who was the engineer behind the product. If they are as passionate about the audio as I am. Not that they are out to cash in on a name. Again, no disrespect to JL. They can justify their prices. I just like the personal touch of a smaller company. I can't call Manville Smith at JL. But I can and have talked to Scott Atwell at Fi.

-Robert