PERCY!!! Need help!!1

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 11:39 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PERCY!!! Need help!!1

Hey percy,

I'm gonna actually gonna install my MKII240 set into my car this weekend for the fronts first. I'm not adding an amp. I'm just gonna put them in. I saw the pictures of banana's gs of his install or someone's install of the mkii240's. I already bought the MDF 5/8" wood ready to go. Just gotta see how to connect it? I have to use the crossovers right? Also, any specifics or steps you can help me with, I have a 99 GS400 with Navigation. Thanks
Old 12-28-01, 08:30 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

gsnav,

The only real trick is the speaker output from the amp. Just feed this output (that used to be hooked up to the stock speaker) into the Dyn crossover. Then take the rest of the signals from the Dyn crossover.

You'll have to modify the tweeter and take it out of it's housing completely. There's a small bolt that is in between the pos and neg terminals that you'll have to undo. MARK THE POLARITY ON THE TWEETER somehow. Then you'll need to desolder the tinsel leads and seperate the bottom section of the tweeter. What you're left with is the top half and the magnet assembly. Just be careful when handling the tweeter as the magnet may fall out and the coil is very easily damaged. The newer ones have the magnet glued in place. This is required since the mounting area within the A pillar is very restrictive. Use some double sided industrial strength foam tape for mounting the tweeter. Then take some additional speaker wire and route it from the crossover and then solder the other ends to the tweeter. Make sure to use some sort of strain relief as the tinsel leads are very fragile.

5/8th board? That's cutting it close. Let me know how it turns out. I've tried 3/4 and it definitely doesn't work but have had much better luck with 1/2 inch board. Maybe save the 5/8ths for another project?

Let me know how the install goes!

Percy
Old 12-28-01, 08:53 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how unfamiliar i am with car audio...what guage wires do we use to connect speakers in cars, also, are there specifically made speaker wires and can i buy them anywhere? Thanks Percy.
Old 12-28-01, 09:58 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

gsnav,

Any good audio/video shop should have a nice selection of speaker wire. I'm using Monster XPHP but you can use a smaller wire if you're worried about space. Look at the quality of insulation and the overall area of the wires. 16 guage is a minimum. 12 guage is more ideal.

Percy