Sponsored by:

Non Navi to Navi the beginning

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 07:14 PM
Giggzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diagram help please - Non Navi to Navi the beginning

Hello all, Just got my components to attempt to change my non navi 99 gs400 to a navi system. Here are the components I have to work with so far:

2001 ML navi head unit
DVD computer
ML amp
two factory wiring harness's

In your opinion do you think I should swap out the amp? I would have to add the center speaker.

Should I just wire the headunit to the exsisting amp setup?

Is there any rewiring needed on the AC controls?

I attached the pictue of the wiring harness layout.
Attached Thumbnails Non Navi to Navi the beginning-picture-009.jpg  

Last edited by Giggzz; 09-05-07 at 06:28 PM. Reason: diagram help
Old 08-13-07, 07:59 AM
krburell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you swap out your amp then you'll need to change ALL your speakers to ML including the sub. You don't necessarily have to add the center speaker if you do the speaker swap.

If your existing headunit is a pioneer then you can wire the ML headunit to your existing amp.

You do not need to rewire the AC controls.

-Keith
Old 08-13-07, 05:16 PM
Giggzz
Driver

How can I tell what type of headunit it is? Any type of markings?

I think I will try to just wire the headunit to the amp in place. If I come across ML speakers at a later date maybe I'll change the whole system out then.

Thanks
Old 08-13-07, 06:28 PM
krburell
Rookie

Originally Posted by Giggzz
How can I tell what type of headunit it is? Any type of markings?

I think I will try to just wire the headunit to the amp in place. If I come across ML speakers at a later date maybe I'll change the whole system out then.

Thanks
It's either a Nakamichi or a Pioneer. The Nakamichi's are marked with the word "Nakamichi". If it doesn't say Nakamichi then it is a Pioneer.

-Keith
Old 08-13-07, 06:45 PM
Giggzz
Driver

Keith-

Its a pioneer

Have you done the switch by chance?

Thanks
Old 08-14-07, 03:45 PM
Giggzz
Driver

piocdxNov 13 2004, 12:43 AM
hello from usa, i have installed many factory gs300 nav systems in non nav cars and can help answer some of your questions. the problem is the 99 gs300 had a different screen plugs and radio plugs than the 2001 which is the 2nd generation navigation system you are trying to install in a first generation unit. i have not attempted that switch yet but i am sure it is possible as the gs radio amp connectors stayed the same even though the radio connctors changed and that is where the power to the headunit comes from. .......................................................... i tried to splice in the 2nd generation dvd computer into first generation screen but it didnt work as the 2nd generation computer had a 3rd set of communication pinouts . lexus headunits and peripherals talk to each other through avc-lan and if the proper communication is not recieved the headunit wont recognize the periphreral . but if you find a 2nd generation lexus dvd computer it will conmmunicate with the head unit you have............................................................................
... the mystery black box is no mystery at all but is just the electronic part of the ac control that was above the radio. there is a 1 wire connection from the screen harness to the ac control haness (the blue wire in the bottom row of the big ac connector on the 99gs)wirng harness . also there is a 1 wire connction to the steering wheel control if so equiped. there is also a 1 wire connction to the speed sensor which is the botom row green wire on big connector the speedometer. these are all easily acsessed with a phillips screw driver. ................................................
it is a very nice conversion and makes it possible to add a tv tuner and a dvd player as well as satelite radio here in the usa. a company in usa just satarted making the compatible box that plugs into the cd changer port and can be controlled by the haed unit for all types of peripherals such as ipod and xm . so many things are going to be possible for lexus navigation system owners. the only difference for uk version is your computer is made by aishin aw a uk company and the usa version has a denso made computer. also uk version faceplates reveresed for usa use. but all the wiring at the headunit looks the same . you have a big project to get all the wires spliced but it can be done. i am doing a 99 ls400 non nav to nav conversion right now. and have all the parts to do a harrier(rx300) and a lx-470 100 a 100 in uk i believe. everyone has entirely different screen and wiring harness but once yu have done 1 install you learn all the things needed to be attached.
Would the bold have anything to do with the A/c controls?

The power for the headunit comes from the amp correct? Does the amp also supply the power for the DVD computer through the headunit?
THanks

Last edited by Giggzz; 08-14-07 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 06:12 PM
Giggzz
Driver

Couple pictures of the rear of the DVD computer with some questions
Red #1 - What is this pin used for?
Red #2 - What is this pin used for? I have found two of them on the wiring harness, but it doesnt seem to reach that plug as easily.
Attached Thumbnails Non Navi to Navi the beginning-100_0331.jpg  

Last edited by Giggzz; 08-14-07 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 06:24 PM
Giggzz
Driver

red#1 - What is this pin used for?
Red #2 - Are these three plugs associated with the DVD computer?
Red #3 - two plugs for the A/C controller
Red #4 - Two plugs to connect to the amp.

I have the full wiring harness so my thinking was rewire the two plugs for the headunit. #4

Does the Amp supply the power to the head unit? I think it does. If so does the head unit supply the power to the DVD computer?

If the power for the headunit comes from the amp and the head unit supplys the power to the DVD computer than.. couldnt I take the wiring harness connect the 3 plugs for #2 at the headunit, than connect the plugs at the DVD computer end for it to work?

All speculation at this point, learning as I go here.
Attached Thumbnails Non Navi to Navi the beginning-navi-back.jpg  
Old 08-16-07, 07:21 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Subscribed, I am trying to do the same thing 98 navigation swap into a 98 non navi car.
Old 08-16-07, 11:35 AM
krburell
Rookie

Keith-

Have you done the switch by chance?

Thanks
Giggzz,

I've done the switch of upgrading a 98-00 navi to a 01-05 navi. You need to get the wiring diagams and the connector layouts to understand what all the connectors on the back of the unit do (PM me and I can help with this). See this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219060 for what I did. You also need to buy a Gateway ECU (part number 89111-30010) to help control the AC. The 98-00 cars do not have this part.
Old 08-16-07, 11:39 AM
krburell
Rookie

Couple pictures of the rear of the DVD computer with some questions
Red #1 - What is this pin used for?
Red #2 - What is this pin used for? I have found two of them on the wiring harness, but it doesnt seem to reach that plug as easily.
#1 is for the GPS antenna. #2 is not used but you can connect the microphone and speaker here to do voice commands. I tried it but it does not work very well.

-Keith
Old 08-16-07, 11:45 AM
krburell
Rookie

red#1 - What is this pin used for?
Red #2 - Are these three plugs associated with the DVD computer?
Red #3 - two plugs for the A/C controller
Red #4 - Two plugs to connect to the amp.

I have the full wiring harness so my thinking was rewire the two plugs for the headunit. #4

Does the Amp supply the power to the head unit? I think it does. If so does the head unit supply the power to the DVD computer?

If the power for the headunit comes from the amp and the head unit supplys the power to the DVD computer than.. couldnt I take the wiring harness connect the 3 plugs for #2 at the headunit, than connect the plugs at the DVD computer end for it to work?

All speculation at this point, learning as I go here.
#1 is not used but this is the input for video if you had the DVD changer hooked up.
#2 are all the connectors for the navi ecu (DVD computer)
Each unit has its own power connection. None are shared. You need to look at the wiring diagrams to understand all of the interconnections.
Old 08-20-07, 02:13 AM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aliga
Subscribed, I am trying to do the same thing 98 navigation swap into a 98 non navi car.
subscribed, I am thinking of doing the opposite. Nav to non Nav but i want to keep the ML audio. Is this possible? My navigation unit broke and i would rather get an aftermarket unit rather than pay the high cost for a oem replacement. If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PS..sorry to hijack your thread Giggzz
Old 08-20-07, 04:33 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nolbi-Wan
subscribed, I am thinking of doing the opposite. Nav to non Nav but i want to keep the ML audio. Is this possible? My navigation unit broke and i would rather get an aftermarket unit rather than pay the high cost for a oem replacement. If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PS..sorry to hijack your thread Giggzz
I think the ml might be tough, i think you will have better luck finding the pioneer unit.

from my understanding you will need to change the climate control, radio, cd changer, the amp, and the dash harness.
Old 08-20-07, 07:07 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Subscribed! Very interesting thread.

Quick Reply: Non Navi to Navi the beginning