Sponsored by:

1st Gen. LS subwoofer question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-01, 07:42 PM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1st Gen. LS subwoofer question.

Is it possible to modify the rear deck to accomodate a 10" or a 12" sub free-air or preferably with an enclosure. I noticed that the gas tank is behind the back seat which eliminates the possibility of firing the sub through the armrest. So now the only choices is the rear deck...or does anyone have other ideas? I hate to just throw the subs in the trunk because so much bass is lost this way. Do any of you guys have nice subwoofer setups using the rear deck or any other creative ideas. My goal is to have the sub firing directly into the cabin so there would be no rattles, etc. I'm willing to fiberglass and go crazy on the box design. A 12" with an enclosure through the rear deck would perfect but will the torsion bars get in the way?

Thanks
Anton
Old 12-31-01, 05:10 AM
2UX31 YM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the problem you run into is that the factory sub location is designed for an 8". The 3rd brake light housing/speaker cover is not designed to fit over a 12" sub. One possibility could be to find an LS or an SC that came with the 10" sub and try to mount that 3rd brake light housing over the hole in the rear deck. Im sure a Junkyard has one....its probably not the most sought after item on an LS or SC. Post pics when your done!!
Old 01-02-02, 07:46 PM
spykedawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe, that light is the least of your worries. torsion bars are in the way, a ten can fit, but my cmp 12 surely wont. check the mounting depth because the gas tank hangs over just a little and might get in your way. i thought about cutting my rear deck (actually got started, a little) and 'glassin around but unless you modify your trunk lid or do something to that effect, a ten is about the biggest you'll get in there before letting the bars get in the way. im thinking about cutting small circular holes in the rear deck and the plate behind the seat to try to let more bass in, but not sure if im gonna venture that far. hell i dont know, keep me posted, i'd love to hear what you end up doing. good luck.