heated seats, trunk struts, stereo, ect

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 12:29 PM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heated seats, trunk struts, stereo, ect

Heated Seats!!!!!!
I own a 1993 lexus gs 300, and i bought the car in the summer. it wasnt until about october that i realized that the heated seats dont work. i took the car to the local lexus dealer and they varified that. i asked them how much it would be to replace the heated seat and they told me that in that car you couldnt just replace the heater in the seat, you would have to buy an entire new leather seat, and to replace the 2 front seats it would be $3000. I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem......... and if so is there and easier way to fix it. I am a little disapoitned that a car of this caliber would have a problem liek this. i thought that lexus's were supposed to be in the pursiut of perfection. I have had many other problems as well. such as : the 12 disc CD changer broke, and was skipping, i had to replace that for $1200. THe struts that make the trunk pop open are broken and will cost $200 to fix. The week after i bought the car, the starter motor went. i am disapointed to say the least that a lexus would have so many problems especialy seeing as it was only 7 years old when i all these things happend. Have any other gs300 owners had any of the problems, if so please tell me about them..........................Thank you very much.
Old 12-31-01, 06:25 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

hey sup, i have the first gen. GS also same year. i was wondering what you mean by trunk popping open. i know that my shocks on the trunk door is weak and it doesn't even help haveing them there. but when you replace them does it make the trunk actually pop OPEN??
Old 01-01-02, 02:31 PM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

I was told when i took it in to be checked out that it should pop open, and that the struts on either side of the trunk lid needed to be replaced. i was so pissed off wiht all that had happend with the car that i just said screw it, it takes some muscle to open the trunk, but no biggy. I wondered maybe if it was designed not to pop open, but if it was, then why is there no handle to grab it to open. in mine once it is released, you have to grab in between the crackbetween the trunk lid and the bumper.
Old 01-01-02, 03:25 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

same here i'm thinking the same thing. maybe it wasn't design to pop open. because the trunk lid is pretty heavy. and even if it was designed to pop open if the trunk lid were to stay shut letz just say 2 years after a while the spring or whatever makes the trunk open won't be as strong anymore because it is being compressed for so long
Old 01-01-02, 07:38 PM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

i was thinking that maybe it was a security feature???? becasue maybe if people pop there trunk accidentally, it doesnt fly open, so if you had it is a parking lot yor something you trunk wouldnt fly open??? but i doesnt make sense that if it isnt supposed to say down, that they wouldnt put a handle or something that you can grab it by, and not squeeze you fingers in the crack and lift???? have you had any problems with your heated seats at all???? do they still work. what other problems if any have you had with your GS???
Old 01-01-02, 08:00 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i just got my gs about a month ago i got a 93 with black exterior dark grey leather interior. i don't have the heated seat option so i can't tell you that. as far as problems go for the gs i have not ecounter one yet. only thing that i would even consider a problem is that i was flipping thrugh the gs300 93 manual and it says the car holds i think 21.1 gallons of gas but i will get like 275 miles and the light will come on and when i go pump i will only get like 17-18 gallons more in. does this seem about right. so many more miles should i be getting after light comes on. also when the light comes on is it still safe to drive up and down steep hill without having the fuel supply cut off thanks
Old 01-04-02, 01:44 PM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

oh so you only just got your lexus. i have had mine for over a year now, and have been trying to sell it for about 7 months. iwould you mind telling me how much you paid for it with the milage, i paid $22 for mine with 122,000 kms, (i dont know how many miles) i am now trying to sell it for significantly less than that. I talked to a guy that had a 1996 with 68,000 kms on his, and when he went to trade it in they only offered him $19 canadian. that would just make me sick. thanks
Old 01-04-02, 03:10 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i'm not sure of the ratio of cannadian dollar to a US dollar. but when i got my car it had 126,000 and it was a 93 gs300. it was advertised in the papers for 9,900. but i got it for 8,800. this is the best deal i found. most other cars with the exact same thing sell for about 10-13,000 each. good luck selling such a great car
Old 01-04-02, 07:21 PM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

so that is about 202,000 kms, and 8800 us converts into $14000 canadian, which is frankly amazing. When i took my lexus into the dealership that i bought it at last year, to trade it in, the offered me $12 canadian and it only has about 90,000 miles on it. So do you think that it would be a good idea for me to try and sell it in the states because it seems like they sell alot easier there and they go for a better price. With that kind of milage on it, have you found that anything has gone wrong, or is the car living up to its reputation. If you dont mind me asking, why did you buy the car, because i have been trying to sell mine as you know, and i dont even get calls on it most of the time, it just seems that nobody is in the market for a car of that age and milage. i bought it last year because it was a sunny day, loved the car, loved the colour, which i am begiing to think was a huge mistake. so i might think about trying to sell it on Ebay, but i doubt that anyone in the states will want to come and get the car from canada. i am thinking that i should just take the loss, suck it up, and get a new infiniti g35.
Old 01-04-02, 07:30 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

OK wait there man. if you dislike lexus you are TOTALLY going to dislike infinity A.K.A. Nissan. ask anyone who has a nissan. there electronic systems in there car suck a big one. one of my friend has a J30 and both of his headlights will go off in the middle of the night and it will come back on. his radio is no longer working. they took it to the lexus dealer and they couldn't find out what was wrong with it. don't get an infinity. i'm not sure if they g20 and g35 are the same or not but i know for a fact that the G2o is really weak and you won't be too happy with it. i was looking for a g20 before i got my gs300..

reason why i bought a Gs300. letz see i'm 17 and i wanted a sports car but i wrecked my last one and my insurance is sky high so the closest i'm getting to another sports car was a sports sedan. so i though sports luxury sedan i got it a lexus gs300. i love this car. really powerful and no problems at all.

i read some where that gs300 in canada has some cool options that the ones in the US don't have. you should definietly try and sell it in the US. good luck.
Old 01-04-02, 07:31 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

oh btw don't sell a older car on ebay because they usually won't buy older cars on e-bay. you are better off selling it in the states. reason why people don't buy older car over the internet is shipping cost too much and not worth paying shipping that cost as much as the car.
Old 01-05-02, 02:00 PM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

ya, i would never buy a used infiniit . although the new g35 is going to be an awesome car. not even comparable to the g20. its going to have 260 hp,tiptronic tranny, and an AWD option. i have been thinking over the last few days and i think what i will do now is just keep the lexus, drive it for another year, and then just give it to my son when he turns 16, then i can either buy a brand new g35, or maybe pick up a demo or something for a little less than new. but you help has been great.