Sponsored by:

Sirius Sat bad reception issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 10:12 AM
SoyMilk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Sat bad reception issue

Question: Anyone out there having bad reception with their factory installed Sirius Sat radio? And do you know how to fix this?

I just bought this:
07 IS250
Premium Package
Navi Package
Sirius Sat Radio

Thanks
Old 08-31-07, 10:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

You got it from Longo right?

If it is the unit that looks like a puck next to the rearview, it's the unit's fault. The reception it gets is just bad. Mine works fairly well on my commute, but whenever I hit an interchange on the free way (i.e. 405 and the 10) it cuts in and out constantly.
Old 08-31-07, 12:07 PM
SoyMilk
Driver School Candidate

Yep got it from Longo... exactly like you said puck antenna next to rearview mirror. Did you take it to them to get it fixed or just give up on it?
Old 08-31-07, 12:25 PM
gwong
Rookie

Just curious on what this "puck" antenna is? Are they not installing the factory/retailer installed system. The system kit comes with a windshield mounted antenna. but its a triangular shaped antenna.
Old 09-01-07, 01:53 PM
SoyMilk
Driver School Candidate

ya its mounted on the front winshield behind the rearview mirror.
Old 09-01-07, 06:06 PM
xsdbs
Driver School Candidate

Default bad reception

the antenna needs to go outside or sometimes on the rear deck will be ok. the problem is that is the front windshield has a factory tint and this tint contains led particles which makes it hard for the signal to get thru to te antenna. remember the last xray you had and they placed the lead blanket on you for protection. I have seen this before and found inside the dash the length of ant cable and reran it to the rear deck. worked fine. the systems that i have seen with the inside puck is actually an add on by an expeditor and they go for the shortcuts, i would get ahold of the dealer and have the ant relocated.
Old 09-03-07, 08:23 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Use External Antenna

YES, you need an external antenna. Your problems will then go away. It is not so much the window tint as it is just a basic matter of geometry. There are angles that the car can assume, relative to the satellite positions, that cause the roof itself to block signal. This will not happen with an external antenna.
The problem stems from the fact that Toyota/Lexus insisted on not having an external antenna that would be an eyesore in their estimation. Instead, they got an antenna that only works 75% of the time.

Use the round Sirius antenna with the silver dot in the middle. It provides excellent signal reception.
Old 09-04-07, 02:54 AM
xsdbs
Driver School Candidate

Default sirius ant

the geometry does have some to do with it, but yes the tint does have even more to do with it. if not ten why can you place an ant flat under the plastic dashpad as far forward toward the windshield on an 06 camary and have it work fine but place it in the same location on an 07 and have weaker signal? yes the mounting location for the factory ant is not optimum but throw the tint in there and it really sucks. this is why an ant on the rear deck works better than the front windshield.
Old 09-04-07, 01:46 PM
SoyMilk
Driver School Candidate

hmm is it possible to have the antenna in the rear window interior, instead of having a eyesore on the outside? I'm not sure why I paid $500 for a factory installed Sirius Satellite radio and have it working only 90% of the time. The other 10% really annoys the heck out of me, the music cuts in and out whenever i go under a bridge, or through intersections. I'll go back to the dealership and see how they fix this and let you guys know.
Old 09-04-07, 02:15 PM
xsdbs
Driver School Candidate

Default sirius signal

i have been able to get into a couple sirius & xm installs of 2007 camarys which had reception complaints and it seems more with sirius systems. When I got into them I found coiled up cable that did reach the trunk. however I did run into 1 that I had to sell an antenna to. I also placed it in the rear deck .The 3rd brakelight has enough of a plastic panel that I was able to place the ant under the plastic. I have not heard any complaints doing it this way.