Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Need to Replace Mark Levinson 6x9s..Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 04:52 PM
djmccoy77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to Replace Mark Levinson 6x9s..Suggestions?

I have a 2002 SC430 and both the 6x9s that go in the doors are blown. Does anyone have any idea with the cheapest place to get replacement speakers or if there are any aftermarket 6x9s that would work?
Old 10-02-07, 04:01 PM
Cheerwino
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat and hope to get them refoamed at www.speakerdoctor.com. There are also kits out there that may allow you to do it yourself. However, I talked to the Speaker Doctor fellow and he cautioned that some 6x9s are odd and a standard foam kit may not work (or may not work well). It only cost a little more to send it to him anyway, so I'm going to try. He suggests you send an e-mail photo first, so he can see if it's a style he can repair. Now, if the coils are busted, that's another story and probably not fixable, according the Speaker Dr.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-07, 07:16 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Most people interested in sound quality make an adapter plate so they can install at least a 6.5" coaxial. Better yet a 6.5" or 7" mid-bass as part of a component set.

-Robert
Old 10-04-07, 06:19 PM
Cheerwino
Driver School Candidate

An excellent post from ZGone tells how to go about doing what Robert J suggests.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288367

He found 8 ohm 6 1/2" woofers from www.partsexpress.com, under home speakers, not car audio. But, as Robert J points out, you have to make an adapter to take the different size.
Old 10-06-07, 10:46 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would look at this as an opportunity to go for a high end speaker...and much improved sound quality.

Use the 6x9 space and make a 6.5 inch round adapter baffle. Then install some Dynaudio speakers. They'll sound MUCH better and last far longer than the ML stuff.

So far I've heard of ML amps, ML speakers and ML subs burning/blowing out. So much for the name "Mark Levinson" as being a quality piece for the automotive realm.
Old 10-08-07, 05:42 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
Then install some Dynaudio speakers. They'll sound MUCH better and last far longer than the ML stuff.
Besides Dynaudio, there are dozens of high end component speaker sets that will blow away the factory offerings. Check out DLS, CDT or even Elemental Designs. You can also create your own component set. Raw drivers and crossover components are available from Madisound and Parts Express (check out the Dayton RS series).

-Robert
Old 10-11-07, 07:14 PM
Cheerwino
Driver School Candidate

Robert J & Percy, are these 8 ohm speakers compatible with the factory amp?

Yep, can't say I'm too impressed with ML since I have NEVER had problems with factory speakers blowing in the many cars I have owned. I mean, they may sound like crap, but they are at least consistent about it.

In looking at my blown ML speaker, the foam was actually in good shape but was sheared off at the edge where the plastic bracket attaches. It's like the bracket was installed too tight and needed a foam spacer to allow for more movement. Usually the foam just breaks down and crumbles away in an old home audio speaker. The ML looked like a design problem.
Old 10-11-07, 08:33 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cheerwino
Robert J & Percy, are these 8 ohm speakers compatible with the factory amp?
8 ohm speakers are compatible with almost any amp - The "Real Deal" with 8 ohm drivers.

Originally Posted by Cheerwino
In looking at my blown ML speaker, the foam was actually in good shape but was sheared off at the edge where the plastic bracket attaches.
You probably pushed your speakers to their mechanical limit and tore the surround. Just like you tear a sheet of paper by putting half on a desk and ripping down.

-Robert
Old 10-15-07, 02:31 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

The 8 ohms will be fine. You'll lose on 1/2 the volume though due to the higher impedance.

Many of the offerings listed in the madisound catalogs are meant for mid to far field usage, that is, you're not right up to the speaker. The car interior replicates what is called a "near field" enviroment. Dispersion characteristics are quite different.

Some manufacturers just relabel their speakers and then slap it as "car audio". The Dyns have the cones reformulated and the dispersion characteristics retuned for near field enviroment.

Also, home speakers will use cheaper adhesives and suspension assemblies which are meant for room temperature. The better companies (dyn - there may be others) will use different suspensions (not as temperature sensitive) and adhesives which will perform better through a wider range of temperatures.

Your choice though!
Old 10-16-07, 06:59 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

The 8 ohms will be fine. You'll lose on 1/2 the volume though due to the higher impedance.
You lose 1/2 the power not 1/2 the volume. 1/2 the power is equivalent of 3db. 1/2 the volume is 10db.

Also, home speakers will use cheaper adhesives and suspension assemblies which are meant for room temperature. The better companies (dyn - there may be others) will use different suspensions (not as temperature sensitive) and adhesives which will perform better through a wider range of temperatures.

Your choice though!
The Dayton RS series has been used in cars since it was introduced. There are two year old threads over at DIYMA that tell you how to remove the bucking magnets so it will fit better in the doors. I haven't read of a single failure on this driver.

-Robert
Old 10-16-07, 01:55 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

1/2 power is right.

Good to hear that the Daytons have survived.

How are they on near field? Any plots or MLSSA?

The Focal tweeters (titanium, etc) have not survived so well in the car enviroment. Adhesives were, as a competitor puts it, "weaker than sugar water".

A real torture test is to have a car out in Arizona with aftermarket speakers. Then go up to Minnesota for the winter. Do this for a few years and it'll tell you how rugged the speakers are.
Old 10-16-07, 03:09 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Dan Wiggins of Adire Audio said it only takes a matter of seconds before the voice coil of a sub heats up to well over 200 degrees. I'm sure that is the same for all styles of drivers since all electromechanical transducers are less than 10% efficient (90% of the energy sent to a speaker turns into heat). My TC Sounds sub gets very hot during movie watching. It has an aluminum voice coil connected to a titanium cone. One massive moving heatsink.

Dayton has a 5 year warranty no matter what environment you install them in. No, I haven't seen any nearfield plots. The guys at the Madisound board or HT Guide may have these. I'll browse around this weekend.

-Robert
Old 10-18-07, 11:34 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

Interestingly enough, the Velodyne DF12SC used for car audio had a similar arrangement. 2.5 inch diameter voice coil on an aluminum former connected to an aluminum cone. Plenty of heat dissipation.

Too bad they don't make the subs anymore. They truly are the best of the best when it comes to sound quality.

I'm hoping that mine never gets damaged!