Sponsored by:

Satellite radio...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-02, 11:36 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Satellite radio...

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the satellite head untis that i've been seeing advertised. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-06-02, 03:26 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sirius and XM are the two companies available. Kenwood uses Sirius, i think Alpine uses XM; cant remember the rest. There are head units that are ready for satelite, they cost about 350-800 depending on the features. You can also get an adapter for some older aftermarket head units. I think they cost about 10 bucks a month and have many stations, some without commercials. Sorry for the vague information, i havent dealt with them much.
Old 01-06-02, 08:26 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Default Re: Satellite radio...

Originally posted by mcelligott
I was wondering if anyone had any info on the satellite head untis that i've been seeing advertised. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
My Ex best friend has the XM. Since he's not talking to me I dont know to much about it. He did tell me somethings before. I guess it has tons of stations and some with out commercials. You can get a signal anyware (above ground). Also you can get a new head unit or get somthing that you tune ur radio to a station (like drive-ins). Hope this hellped you www.xm.com
Old 01-13-02, 09:49 AM
blevinson
Driver School Candidate

I have the Pioneer XM FM modulated unit in my 2000 GS400 and in my 2002 SC430. I have been very happy with it. The control unit is mounted in the ash trays of each car. The tuner is mounted in the trunk of the GS and behind the dash of the SC. I used the Terk trunk mount antenna on the GS and the Terk glass mount on the SC, Terk does not recommend the glass mount on convertables, but since the trunk on the SC opens 2 ways because of the top I had no other options. The glass mount works well. XM offers 100 channels of coast to coast coverage for $10 a month, you can find out more on their web sight XM.com.
Old 01-15-02, 05:52 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Pioneer unit as well with the Terk glass mount. Sirius is more per month but promises no commercials. Both these companies need to get the word (and repeaters) out in the public. Right now in Ohio, only line of site satellite is available. There are no repeaters in the city, yet.

On the glass mount: I was washing my car, and I guess some water got underneath the antenna and froze, because as I drove away from the car wash, the antenna flew off! The spoiler caught it, and I still have it, but I called Terk and they said they would send me a new exterior piece. Now the inside one is coming off! Maybe the glass mount's adhesive is still under refinement, and it is a bit big, but it has good signal strength.