Sponsored by:

Hardwiring a radar detector in a SC300/SC400

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-02, 10:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardwiring a radar detector in a SC300/SC400

I need to hardwire the Valentine One into my SC. Where do I find a good 12v lead to tap into? Any install tips? Thanks.
Old 01-07-02, 07:19 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: hardwiring a v1

Originally posted by lex400sc
I need to hardwire the Valentine One into my SC. Where do I find a good 12v lead to tap into? Any install tips? Thanks.
I've installed mine to the lighter cables. If you remove the plastic around the shifter and then lift up the plastic around the whole center console you can lift the ash tray and the lighter and you will see two wires coming off of it. I am not sure, but I think I used the red wire. It works out nicely beucase most of the wire is hidden.
Old 01-07-02, 12:20 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is a good, discrete place to hide the Detector and still get excellent reception?
Old 01-07-02, 12:39 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Erfan
Where is a good, discrete place to hide the Detector and still get excellent reception?
I don't know about that one. I really have no need to hide it, it's not like the cops will arrest you for possetion of one here. I have it right smack in the middle so it gets great reception. If cops want to know you have a radar detector they will know thanks to technology called VG-1. It's a radar detector detector. Hehehe.
Old 01-07-02, 01:47 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Im pretty sure the V1 jams the Radar detector detectors. Most good radar detectors do. And no, having radar detectors or radar jammers is not illegal (only in bigass trucks), but if a cop pulls you over and he sees it, theres no way in hell that your gonna get out of the ticket.

Jason
Old 01-07-02, 02:05 PM
cupete
Pole Position

I agree with you, there is no way you can get out if an officer sees you with a radar detector. Also, according to Valentine one, you need to place the detector in an open area, higher the better. Common sense right? The best place is right next to the rear mirror, make sure the detector is parallel to the ground (make sure it's not tilting) and also, make sure your rear mirror is not blocking the radar detector. I have Valentine one, it's passive system meaning, it only detects radar (X, K, Ka, Laser) however, it's not capable of jamming any radar.

Peter~
Old 01-07-02, 02:12 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by cupete
I agree with you, there is no way you can get out if an officer sees you with a radar detector. Also, according to Valentine one, you need to place the detector in an open area, higher the better. Common sense right? The best place is right next to the rear mirror, make sure the detector is parallel to the ground (make sure it's not tilting) and also, make sure your rear mirror is not blocking the radar detector. I have Valentine one, it's passive system meaning, it only detects radar (X, K, Ka, Laser) however, it's not capable of jamming any radar.

Peter~
... and jammers are illegal. You can get in trouble with FCC for transmiting on Police frequencies. That's what jammers do.
Old 01-07-02, 02:14 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino
Im pretty sure the V1 jams the Radar detector detectors. Most good radar detectors do. And no, having radar detectors or radar jammers is not illegal (only in bigass trucks), but if a cop pulls you over and he sees it, theres no way in hell that your gonna get out of the ticket.

Jason
Unfortunetly no, V1 does not jam VG-1 (radar detector detector). It says it all on V1 website.
Old 01-07-02, 02:42 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

jammers aren't illegal in my state.......
Old 01-07-02, 02:52 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by abutler696
jammers aren't illegal in my state.......
I am pretty sure they're illegal nation wide as FCC is a federal gov. organization.
Old 01-07-02, 03:03 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

there illegal in like 5 states, there legal in the rest. I belive they used to be illegal but have changed the law

Jason
Old 01-07-02, 03:18 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Ok i did a lil research. It seems there are 2 types of jammers. One emits a radio signal that disrupts the cops radar. These ARE as you said illegal, but are not being used very widely anymore. The second newer jammer simply takes the incoming signal sent by the radar gun, disrupts the signal once it reaches your car, and then beams it back for an innacurate reading. These ARE legal except for 5 states -- MN, OK, CA, NE, and Washington DC. (well 4 states and 1 city, or whatever dc is)

Jason
Old 01-07-02, 06:35 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks big Rhino

You have given us a wealth of info. Do they sell the jammers that send an electromagnetic pulse to disrupt the cop cars onboard electronics?
Old 01-07-02, 08:10 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

There reason for my comment was because I heard a commercial on the radio the other day for a jammer which jams police radar and it named like 7 states that it can't be used in.
Old 01-07-02, 08:16 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Erfan, no but I think they have that in starwars :P , and if u used emp to knockout there radar, it would likely damage there radar all together. I've seen sites on the net advertising emp (I think) guns that are supposed to disable cameras, so thats not a bad idea actually

Jason

Quick Reply: Hardwiring a radar detector in a SC300/SC400