Sponsored by:

Re doing set-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 03:08 PM
cjones4640
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re doing set-up

Robert J and to all the other audio guru's on here ( sorry but i forgot some of ur names MHC???..LOL)

I'm looking to redo my audio system...i have two MB Quarts 12's in a box now..looking to get rid of that cause i hate riding and having to take some of it out to get to my spare if I ever need to..but what do you guys and ladies think about 1 13w7 (or two if i really feel like doing it) in a custom 1.5 cubic box (fiberglass) in the factory location? If I do two, they will b on both sides of the deck.
Any feedback good or bad will be appriciated
Old 09-25-07, 06:55 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Thanks for the compliment but I'm just average on the car audio knowledge. I help where I can.

The W7 is nice as are all JL audio subs. Great quality control and research comes with a high price though. Unless you won the lottery or just got a bonus for signing with a pro team, there are other options that will sound just as good (if not better) for less money. Are you after pure sound quality (SQ)? LOUD (SPL)? Or a combination (SQL)?

-Robert
Old 09-25-07, 08:29 PM
phy
Driver

If u have money to pay for the labor than maybe look into subwoofers that can be ran IB (Infinite Baffle). Maybe an Image Dynamics IDMax (or 2 ). Just make sure whoever does the install reinforces the rear deck really well.
Old 09-26-07, 10:38 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

From your previous post you have stated that you have a first gen GS.A 12W7 wont fit in the stock location because its to deep of a woofer since the gas tank sits underneath the rear deck..You have to look at the dimensions of a 12w3 and use that as a reference.You will have great sound if you install a fiberglass enclosure under the deck with the 12" firing into the deck..You have to ask yourself if you want a great sounding system or just something loud..
Old 09-26-07, 11:20 AM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Johnee78: is this the JL 12w3 version 2 or the original? You suggested the same idea to me.

-Ken
Old 09-26-07, 11:51 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Karin'sGS3
Johnee78: is this the JL 12w3 version 2 or the original? You suggested the same idea to me.

-Ken
They are all the same depth if I remember correctly..
Old 09-26-07, 12:45 PM
cjones4640
Driver

Default ..........

I was thinking to reinforce the deck..to use a nice piece of wood..cut it to the shape of the rear deck, carpet it and drop the sub in. I figured that it would give me a little more depth for clearence for the basket and add reinforcment to the deck..but if not i can go with another type of sub. Im more into clean sound now..my "BOOM BOOM BOOM" days are over. The money for a fiberglass box is not a problem..house is paid for..only pay light/gas..phone (cell and house) cable(which is a rip off!!) and my girl buys the food and household items. So you all can shoot ya best sub ideas to me..since most of you have done the sysems in this fine automobile already. I have a extra set of door pods laying around front and rear)..even though the factory sounds good...i might try to use the extra set to fit some 5.25 in them seeing that i dont have the tools to make my own pods to force some 6.5 in the doors...lol

I seen a post on here when i first got my noobie status...someone had a black(i think) 1st Gen with 3 subs in the deck...ever since then that was how i wanted to do mines...and so i can get to my spare when i need to..lol...man that GS was crazy!!!!! I think one of his pictures he was rolling down the highway sitting on his sunroof (i think it was the same car...its been so long ago)

Last edited by cjones4640; 09-26-07 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 02:24 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cjones4640
I was thinking to reinforce the deck..to use a nice piece of wood..cut it to the shape of the rear deck, carpet it and drop the sub in. I figured that it would give me a little more depth for clearence for the basket and add reinforcment to the deck..but if not i can go with another type of sub. Im more into clean sound now..my "BOOM BOOM BOOM" days are over. The money for a fiberglass box is not a problem..house is paid for..only pay light/gas..phone (cell and house) cable(which is a rip off!!) and my girl buys the food and household items. So you all can shoot ya best sub ideas to me..since most of you have done the sysems in this fine automobile already. I have a extra set of door pods laying around front and rear)..even though the factory sounds good...i might try to use the extra set to fit some 5.25 in them seeing that i dont have the tools to make my own pods to force some 6.5 in the doors...lol

I seen a post on here when i first got my noobie status...someone had a black(i think) 1st Gen with 3 subs in the deck...ever since then that was how i wanted to do mines...and so i can get to my spare when i need to..lol...man that GS was crazy!!!!! I think one of his pictures he was rolling down the highway sitting on his sunroof (i think it was the same car...its been so long ago)
That car belongs to NYaristo and the previous owner built the car and system in that vehicle..The car has 3-10w6 jl subs mounted in the rear deck with a sealed plexiglass and wood enclosure..The W6 works very well in a small sealed enclosure and can take butt loads of power..This set-up requires extensive cutting and rebuilding of the rear deck to achieve this..You will have to add some pretty good mids and highs to keep up with a sub set-up like that..According to what your looking for it will be overkill and you should consider 1-12" in the rear deck with about 300 watts rms..
Old 09-26-07, 02:27 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

I also wanted to add that the factory pods can hold 5.25 mids that are not deeper than 2" and the rears I would just upgrade to better 4'' since its just rear fill..If you want to run 6" or bigger in the front you have to make plates to hold the mids and you should sound deaden the door if you go this route..