Sponsored by:

I just got a new Lexus 2 days ago

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-02, 06:49 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I just got a new Lexus 2 days ago

It's a 1998 Lexus GS 300. Ok you guys, my first plan of attack is to upgrade the stereo in this car. MY '98 GS 300 has the premium (NOT Nakamichi) sound with the 6 disc changer. Don't get me wrong, it's the best factory sound I've ever had, but I'm more of a multiple sub/Multiple amp/Active crossover kind of guy.

So here's what I want to know:

1. I may decide to leave the factory head unit in this. Does anyone have any wiring documentation or know where I can find any? My objective is to find out if the factory head unit includes and RCA preamp outputs; that would be great.

2. Amplification- Is this all done in the head unit itself, or is there external amplifier(s) anywhere in the car?

3. Any recommendations as to the best point in the firewall to drill for running a 4 gauge or thicker wire back to the trunk for amps?

Thanks guys I'll have more questions, but this is my initial thoughts on getting the sound back to what I had in my Celica.

Shawn
98 GS 300 Cinnabar
Old 01-10-02, 11:56 AM
thebasher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to would like to know the answers to your questions. I have thought about putting a new sub and amp in my 98 400 but I would rather not replace the head unit. I didnt think the the stock radio had pre outs or sub outs so I kind of just put this idea on hold. I hope Im wrong.

Thanks, Chris
Old 01-17-02, 05:20 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Info

Shawn & Chris - I've been away from the Board for a week or so & apologize for not answering sooner. U're best bet would be to contact my fellow Moderator Percy Mui & pick up a copy of the GS installation manual that he put together. It consists of info concerning speaker locations & choices, amps, wiring diagrams, etc. We've been answering the same type of questions for years so I'm sure the answers U seek will be in there. FWIW - U can use a line level convertor to interface the stock head unit with aftermarket amps. Good luck!
Old 01-17-02, 12:35 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks-

Out of curiousity, is "DNYNOMATTING" in that guide? Not how to do it, but what areas Percy feels need it the most.

Shawn