Sponsored by:

IS neon lighting too ricey?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-02, 06:08 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by retrodrive
This discussion has been around forever. Anyway, I would rather see a 86 Neon with body kit with no paint rather then a stock Neon. Just because its fun to look at
A Neon with a body kit? Uhhh... that would be a PT Cruiser!

Another vehicle that is a joke (only the yuppies that bought them don't realize it). Too bad they didn't put any real power under the sheetmetal.
Old 01-17-02, 11:41 AM
exdotcomer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neon lights are only good in two places- Techno Clubs and Strip Clubs.
IMPO.
Old 01-17-02, 10:04 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by exdotcomer
Neon lights are only good in two places- Techno Clubs and Strip Clubs.
IMPO.
My car is louder then a club and ladies are always ready to strip when its on

Yeah, PT Cruiser is one nasty car. Interior and power is horrible. Neon with a body kit is still more fun to look at though.
I am all for modding without any rice attitudes though. If you have a modded Civic LX and you know that the car is slower then Yugo, thats cool. When those peeps think that they are all badass racers it gets funny.
Old 01-18-02, 05:08 AM
exdotcomer
Driver School Candidate

My hooptie is a 1990 Honda Civic DX hatch. It doesn't get any basic than that! Plus - it's a 4 speeed! I am in the middle of rebuilding it -interior/exterio but to STOCK OEM specs (it is so much fun and cheap) it really is an awesome thing to park wherever you want and not worry about dings!...It will not get the RICE treatment . The only reason I bought t is so I can put the ES 300 away- It's in great condition,low miles it's a '98 with 30 k, and take care of it so that I can trade it in for a GS 400!!!!
I want 300 hp!!
Old 01-20-02, 06:56 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool I Have It!

I think ANYTHING is excess could be considered "ricey". I personally like the little bit of neon I have in my sub box but would NEVER run it under the car ala "Fast & Furious"! Maybe being middle aged has something to do with it?
BTW - Didn't he say "trunk" & not "truck"?
Old 01-20-02, 10:09 PM
sarkastro
Pole Position

have to agree with Gene and Retro on this one. To accent a tight audio install, I like neon, but not under or in the cabin of a car. I do have neon and a window in my puter case though...
Old 01-21-02, 11:55 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: IS neon lighting too ricey?

Originally posted by genearch

Since ou're asking for opinions

In the trunk with subs = No Rice
Under the Dash = Rice... extreme rice
Hey, is that a brand like Uncle Ben's?
Old 01-23-02, 08:51 PM
Lexpusher96
Driver

I have to say that's one thing I hate about this board. The typical Lexus owner I've seen on this board is a stereotyping ***** who thinks his car is better than any other car on the road. Personally, I have a Lexus and a Honda Civic, and believe me...IMO the Honda is much more fun to drive. Not to mention, it's faster than the Lexus. RX300TC is calling some cars 'jokes'. What is a real joke is having a TOYOTA and thinking you're somebody because it has a Lexus emblem on it. Big deal..yours is just a car, too. It just makes me ashamed to own a Lexus sometimes. I do, however, enjoy sharing and learning information on this board about our vehicles. Since some of you were being so rude and opinionated, I just thought I'd share mine with the flamers. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

Oh, and accent lighting can be ok if done in good taste. I personally hate underbody neons when you can see the tubes hanging under the car, or especially when people hang little tubes from the roof inside their car.

-1ULV2H8
Old 01-24-02, 07:10 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lexpusher96
I have to say that's one thing I hate about this board. The typical Lexus owner I've seen on this board is a stereotyping ***** who thinks his car is better than any other car on the road.
Wow... and this coming from a person who has the license plate "1ULV2H8"? What's wrong with this picture? But wait, it gets sillier...

Personally, I have a Lexus and a Honda Civic, and believe me...IMO the Honda is much more fun to drive. Not to mention, it's faster than the Lexus.
Faster than a '96 ES300? Big deal. While the ES is a fine car, it's no speed demon for it's size and class (which happens to weigh a lot more than a Civic). Next silly point...

RX300TC is calling some cars 'jokes'.
Wrong, I specifically pointed out the PT Cruiser. Why? Because it came up in conversation, and because the car is suppose to evoke a performance oriented vehicle type of image. With a engine rating of 150 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque, at a curb weight of 3107lbs, that's nothing to write home about and boring. Heck, my pretty boring Grand Am has 170hp and 195ft-lbs at the almost identical curb weight, at about the same cost.

What is a real joke is having a TOYOTA and thinking you're somebody because it has a Lexus emblem on it. Big deal..yours is just a car, too. It just makes me ashamed to own a Lexus sometimes.
Hmmm... if you are ashamed (or proud) of what car you drive because of what other people drive, say, or do, then you do indeed have a problem. I am neither proud or ashamed of what I drive, because afterall it's a piece of sheetmetal in the end. But as a consumer I appreciate the fact that Toyota has some of the best quality control procedures in place in the world, evident by the fact that the Japan plant where the RX is produced wins continual quality awards. I appreciate that the fit and finish is near perfect. I also appreciate that the vehicle has some of the best active and passive safety systems in the world, which is the main reason I bought the vehicle for my family. I'm proud of my family, so I bought a Lexus to protect them. I could care less about the vehicle.

I do, however, enjoy sharing and learning information on this board about our vehicles. Since some of you were being so rude and opinionated, I just thought I'd share mine with the flamers. Hope I haven't offended anyone.
I think the only person you really offended was yourself... only you don't realize it.

Please drop by again to enlighten us with more of your opinions

Have a nice day!
Old 01-29-02, 07:07 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO, there's two things you gotta remember to keep neon from being ricey or ghetto. Don't overdo it and hide the tubes. Use the neon to accent your stereo or something, but mount the tubes so they are hidden, but the glow accents something.

Lexpusher, I'm kinda surprised; my ES300 is noticeably quicker than the '94 Civic EX it replaced, as well as the '95 Accord EX 4 cylinder.