Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Left front speaker failing - amp problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 06:24 AM
DoWnAqT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you remeber what they charged you, and how long it took to do the whole process?
Old 01-30-08, 09:24 AM
nicknace
Driver

Still no updates on this? Help! My failing speaker is driving me crazy!
Old 01-30-08, 03:28 PM
DoWnAqT
Driver

im currently trying to gather enough money to try and get another radio. I think its the equalizer built into the radio that is messing up. so once i can grab a radio ill let you know
Old 01-30-08, 11:09 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nicknace
Still no updates on this? Help! My failing speaker is driving me crazy!
Well its quite clear that its the low level output at the deck for that channel. There is a fairly inexpensive fix for this but you do have to sacrifice some of the capabilities of your Fading control.

If you can find a wiring diagram for this car then you are half way there. Find the two wires that are the low level outputs to the deck. If they are anything like the SC400, they share a common centre pin (or ground) with the rest of the outputs (left, right, front and rear). Once you find which one is left front positive, cut that wire. Locate the left rear positive and 'tap' (as in solder) on to that wire. This will give you good left channel information going to the rear and front left low level input of the amplifier. because its low level, impedence should not be an issue and the volume levels should be pretty much equal. You will not have proper fader control after you do this though.

If that doesn't work, I may suggest a new head unit install and do a complete amplifier bypass (run new wires to your speakers). I've done this many times - its pretty straight-forward. You just need a kit to fit the deck in the dash.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-08, 03:41 PM
DoWnAqT
Driver

alight ive done some diaging...posted above would work great as long as the wiring isnt the problem. Ive pretty much narrowed everything down the radio. I myself have gone straight to the radio and swaped the left front speaker to the right front...the problem is now on the right front side. therefore the wiring and speakers are ok. its simply the output of the radio. So a new radio would be needed to fix this problem. For my car at least. I may end up doing what is stated above just so it doesnt cut out on me anymore.
Old 03-19-08, 04:40 AM
nicknace
Driver

I'm willing to do it, as well, if someone can help me figure out what wire to cut/splice... It's a very elegant fix!
Old 03-19-08, 10:25 AM
dl11
Driver

Hey I have a 98 GS4 with the Nakamichi system that has problems with the left front speaker. I recently discovered a method to restore audio to that speaker. What I did was turn the fader to the front speakers and then I turned the balance to the failing speaker. There would be barely any sound coming through the speaker. I turned up the volume to about halfway and the sound returned after a few seconds. After that, the speaker would not cut out anymore. Try it out, hope it helps!
Old 03-20-08, 08:39 AM
nicknace
Driver

Originally Posted by dl11
Hey I have a 98 GS4 with the Nakamichi system that has problems with the left front speaker. I recently discovered a method to restore audio to that speaker. What I did was turn the fader to the front speakers and then I turned the balance to the failing speaker. There would be barely any sound coming through the speaker. I turned up the volume to about halfway and the sound returned after a few seconds. After that, the speaker would not cut out anymore. Try it out, hope it helps!
You don't need to use the fader - just turn the volume way up briefly. But it doesn't last - sometimes it buys me a few minutes with the left front speaker on, other times only seconds. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-20-08, 12:15 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kratos
Well its quite clear that its the low level output at the deck for that channel. There is a fairly inexpensive fix for this but you do have to sacrifice some of the capabilities of your Fading control.

If you can find a wiring diagram for this car then you are half way there. Find the two wires that are the low level outputs to the deck. If they are anything like the SC400, they share a common centre pin (or ground) with the rest of the outputs (left, right, front and rear). Once you find which one is left front positive, cut that wire. Locate the left rear positive and 'tap' (as in solder) on to that wire. This will give you good left channel information going to the rear and front left low level input of the amplifier. because its low level, impedence should not be an issue and the volume levels should be pretty much equal. You will not have proper fader control after you do this though.

If that doesn't work, I may suggest a new head unit install and do a complete amplifier bypass (run new wires to your speakers). I've done this many times - its pretty straight-forward. You just need a kit to fit the deck in the dash.

Good luck!
...why did i not think of this!?
you're a genius!
Old 04-24-08, 04:29 PM
nicknace
Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
...why did i not think of this!?
you're a genius!
Which wires????!!!!! If you do this, can you post pix or describe? You would be helping an awful lot of us!
Old 04-24-08, 08:01 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Which wires????!!!!! If you do this, can you post pix or describe? You would be helping an awful lot of us!
Front speakers are:

FL+ ~ Pink
FL- ~ Purple

FR+ ~ Green
FR- ~ Light blue

Yay!
Old 04-26-08, 07:54 AM
nicknace
Driver

Front speakers are:

FL+ ~ Pink
FL- ~ Purple

FR+ ~ Green
FR- ~ Light blue

Yay!
You're awesome! How about the rear left speaker? I thought the idea was to splice the left front to the left rear... BTW, where do you get this info?
Old 04-26-08, 10:24 AM
kratos
Pole Position

You're awesome! How about the rear left speaker? I thought the idea was to splice the left front to the left rear... BTW, where do you get this info?
Rear speakers are as follows:

RR+ ~ Red
RR- ~ White

LR+ ~ Black
LR- ~ Yellow

I have various wiring resources which require passwords (paid accounts). If you need alarm info for free go to www.bulldogsecurity.com

Old 05-02-08, 01:21 PM
sixpac
Driver School Candidate

Default Stock Radio

I tried your suggestion on my gs400 98...and now I have both speakers going out on the RF speaker and RR speaker....What do you suggest that I do?
Old 05-04-08, 06:14 PM
nicknace
Driver

Rear speakers are as follows:

RR+ ~ Red
RR- ~ White

LR+ ~ Black
LR- ~ Yellow

I have various wiring resources which require passwords (paid accounts). If you need alarm info for free go to www.bulldogsecurity.com

I tried it too, at the amp inputs. The sound overall was choppy and clipped afterwards (out of all speakers) so no go. Here is what I did:

http://www.geocities.com/mdnace/1.html?1209949839902

So either I screwed up the wiring or the concept does not work. I think I want to try splicing the output wiring for the left front and rear speakers. I believe the wires are out of the white plug coming out of the amp. Do you happen to know which are the left front and rear output colors? This is a 98 GS400 with hte Nakamichi also. Thanks!

Last edited by nicknace; 05-04-08 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Link to image did not work

Quick Reply: Left front speaker failing - amp problem?