Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Is is a good spec for a speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02, 07:43 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is is a good spec for a speaker?

This is the Pioneer speaker I bought 2 years ago, the so called super tweeter is fried I took it out and the driver is all burned out. Now it's very impressive sounding for its value, but I think it could sound even better.

I am thinking about modding it to a 2 way or 3 way system, or should I just replace the tweeter? I am thinking about a Vifa xt25t-04 1" or maybe Esotec D-260 1" but that's gonna cost a bit... all with Axon capacitors wield to the driver like the stock tweets in the GS. Any recommandations on other good parts?

This is the spec sheet that came with the Pioneer speaker, what do you guys think good or so so?
Attached Thumbnails Is is a good spec for a speaker?-pioneer.jpg  
Old 01-14-02, 08:20 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter,

You're looking at 1.8 to 2.5 percent distortion across the band. The crossover point worries me. Take a look at the 2nd/3rd peak at around the 2k to 3k area. Not good. The "normal" ear is sensitive to 1khz but the extreme sensitivity point is right around 3khz.

Axon caps are ok. Not the greatest. Bennic is SO-SO at best. Lowest I can recommend and still sound good would be the Solen polyprop caps. If you want better then get the Hovland musicaps or for the ultimate, go for the Exotica caps. They only cover a certain range of values though. Hovland is your best bet. Plan on spending around 35 to 50 bucks per capacitor!

Esotec NOT recommended in the car, especially if it's the home speaker. Dispersion is different. If you want to use an ESOTEC based driver, then go with the MD130.

Percy
Old 01-15-02, 01:50 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Percy,

Can you recommand a place that sells Hovland caps? How do you figure out the distortion % from the graph, the spec sheet didn't say much and I've looked at it over and over with no clue.
Old 01-15-02, 07:28 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter,

http://www.sonicfrontiers.com/tpc I've ordered from them before and they've been great so far!

The distortion scale is based on a db scale. A difference of so many db's would translate into a percentage number. Since it's a db scale, the numbers aren't linear. Compare these with the Dyn spec sheets. You'll find a vast difference. Remember that the Dyn spec sheet have their distortion figures RAISED by 20db, otherwise it won't show up on the chart!!!

The difference in db will translate into a distortion number. Forgot where I put my chart though....

Percy