Sponsored by:

Need speakers recommendation non-ML

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 06:29 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need speakers recommendation non-ML

I have a feeling my gf is getting me speakers for Xmas because she complained how terrible the stock speakers sounded compared to my Audi which had the bose upgrade. So I'm thinking either Infinity component or anything that has good clarity and midrange. Should I replace the rears as well?

Btw, I looked up on crutchfield for speakers spec and they dont show any on their website What do you guys recommend. TIA
Old 11-23-07, 07:01 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

JL Audio for HIGHs and Mids.
MB Quart for really HIGHs!!!

I like my highs, so MB Quarts are awesome. But JL Audio is pretty nice as well. If my GS350 didn't have ML then I would have installed my MB Quarts in it. If you are interested I am selling them.
Old 11-23-07, 07:05 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

go with Heartz speakers. they are abit expensive,but it woth it. Italian speakers,they are mainly made for really expensive Italian cars like the frarri and other
Old 11-23-07, 07:26 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

On crutchfield, they show speakers NOT researched. Can I find out the spec I needed for components and rears? Does anyone know off the top and is it in the manual?

ek9vboi: can you tell me what size are your MB and which speaker does it replace. thanks
Old 11-23-07, 08:41 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DiauR1
On crutchfield, they show speakers NOT researched. Can I find out the spec I needed for components and rears? Does anyone know off the top and is it in the manual?

ek9vboi: can you tell me what size are your MB and which speaker does it replace. thanks
The ones I have are 5.25" and I would recommend using them to replace in the front. Most of the music you hear is from the front, so with the MB tweeters, those highs will be crisp! I loved it when I would turn up the music and it would hurt just listening to highs. I eventually got deaf or use to it. lol
Old 11-23-07, 08:46 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Q=Where are the 8 speakers?
A= 2 in each front door, the rears are actually 2 stacked speakers which makes a total of 8.

Q= What size are the factory speakers
A= 6.5" front door, 1.25"tweeter on door, 6*9" woofer rear deck, 3" stackmounted on 6*9 woofer rear deck.

Q= I replaced my 6*9's and the new one s sound like shiet!?
A= Thats because the factory amp sends a total of 4 channels to the rear speakers. The woofer is 2 ohms and only gets a limited range of frequencies, the mids are 4 ohms and get the remainder of the frequencies. When hooking up a typical 6*9 you will only use 1 set of these amp channels and thus you get bass only or highs only.

Q= does the headunit have RCA9Pre-amp) outputs.
A=No

Q=Where is the factory amp located
A=Its located in the passenger kick panel above the fuse box.

Q=How do I install an afetrmarket amplifier to the factory radio?
A= You must use a line level convertor if your amplifier does not offer high-level inputs.

Q= Does the factory amp have RCA inputs?
A= No it does not

Q= where can I run the power wire to the trunk?
A= Their is a large groumet located just above and in front of both kick panels firewall side. The passenger groumet comes out right below the factory battery.

Q= How do I gain access to the rear speakers.
A= You need to remove the rear seat bottom and back. The rear deck comes off in 1 piece to allow access to the speakers which are mounted from the top.

Q= How do I remove the factory speaker grilles?
A= You must first remove the rear deck cover as the grilles are not made just to lift off.

Q= will these speakers fit right in?
A= Most likely not as the factory speakers do not use normal/common mounting holes. A simple ABS or wood mount is recommended.

Q= Can I change my factory radio and use the factory amp?
A= See a professional as it can be done, but it is not recommended for a novice.

Q= Can I sell my factory radio to a friend?
A= Yes you can, but its not recommended as the factory radio also needs the factory amp for some of its features and it offers no common outputs for integration into other vehicles.
Found this on google. It says 6.5" but most of the time the OEM speakers are bigger because of the bracket use to hold it in place. You have to keep in mind that aftermarket speakers have a larger magnet so that they can perform better.
Old 11-23-07, 09:40 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For ultimate in sound quality, look no further than Dynaudio products. They'll waste the MB Quarts by a long shot. I've had MBQ and they're an OK product. I'd rate them as 4 out of 10. That's for their best ones.

The members that have been on the board for a while - they know how picky I am when it comes to sound QUALITY.

Hard dome tweeters still have the RINGING problem, no matter how well "damped" they appear to be. Dyns are soft dome tweeters. MBQ can tout "strength" all they want, but when you ask them point blank about "ringing", they give you a blank stare. One of the high level techs at MBQ admitted to the ringing problem also.

One of the most accurate tweeters in the world, the ESOTAR T330D (and the new ESOTAR 2) are considered THE top of the chain, bar none. And yes, they're soft dome tweeters.

Give em a listen. If you're into SOUND QUALITY, you won't go back to anything else.
Old 11-24-07, 06:11 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Is there a DIY thread anywhere? I just hate to do trial and error when i start ripping panels apart.

Percy would you say this is correct : 6.5" front door, 1.25"tweeter on door, 6*9" woofer rear deck, 3" stackmounted on 6*9 woofer rear deck

ek9vboi: thanks for the info =)
Old 11-24-07, 06:17 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Why not try calling Crutchfield, they can be very helpful on the phone. Great sales and tech staff. Of course if they support the car they also have great literature on how to remove panels without damage to the car.
Old 11-24-07, 07:47 AM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried calling Crutchfield ....... good luck they dont know anything, they have not researched the car not even the 06's. you may find more help from a local shop that may have done a couple already
Old 11-24-07, 08:29 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Just google it in if you are not sure. There are numerous threads stating what size the speakers should be.

If it was up to me, I would not use 6 X 9s in the rear, instead make a plate to hold components. Sound quality will out do it any day.
Old 11-24-07, 10:38 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Sounds like a lot of gentlemen know their speakers on hear. It's usually the very expensive ones that you've never heard of (or hear little of) that are the best.

Never, never use Bose as a benchmark for sound comparison. Bose is a marketing company. The general public thinks Bose is "high end", nothing could be further from the truth.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 11-24-07, 10:39 AM
LexFather

We have an audio forum
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Seems most here agree Dynaudio is the way to go, money no object.
Old 11-24-07, 10:40 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

All you need to a REALLY good set of components up front leave the rears stock.

I really like MB Quartz.
Old 11-24-07, 10:41 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there a DIY thread anywhere? I just hate to do trial and error when i start ripping panels apart.

Percy would you say this is correct : 6.5" front door, 1.25"tweeter on door, 6*9" woofer rear deck, 3" stackmounted on 6*9 woofer rear deck

ek9vboi: thanks for the info =)
That seems about right, but the tweeters are usually 1 inch. I'd have to go to the Lexus dealership to find out.

Also, the better dealerships will let you copy pages off of their service manual. This will show you complete teardown procedures for the speakers. It's usually not that tough, maybe the subwoofer is the hardest.

Quick Reply: Need speakers recommendation non-ML