Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Amplifier help (switching to Avic-Z2)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 02:33 PM
Misha98GS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplifier help (switching to Avic-Z2)

hey guys I have looked, maybe my search skills are not the best, but I keep on wasting a lot of time and I am getting nowhere. Basically, I want to order an Avic-Z2 NAV unit. I currently have stock Nakamichi system. So my nav unit will replace the nakamichi head unit. I am definetly not changing my Nakamichi speakers I love the sound and to me it could not be better. Now here is where I get confused, the Nav head unit has an amp, and I also have my stock nakamichi amp. What I keep reading about is that the sub will be underpowered and also that I have to change the amp. Why can't the NAV's amp power some speakers and/or the sub and/or my stock nakamichi amp power the speakers and/or the sub. If I HAVE to get a new amp, can the combination of my stock amp and/or the amp in the Nav unit power the speakers so that I get an amp ONLY for the back sub? Also, if I have to get an amp for everything (speakers and sub), I read it is bad to get a 5-channel amp and that it is better to get a 4-chanel amp for speakers and monochannel for sub, is this correct? Maybe this is not the case for me since I am keeping my stock speakers which are I believe 20 watts, so I could just get the 5-channel amp if I really have to and not have to get 2 amps if it comes down to it. Please somebody let me know. I am really bad with this and I can't wait to figure it out and get my unit. Thanks.
Old 11-26-07, 04:27 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bro,
i answered all those for u over the phone already
anyways here goes:
-Yes, u can power your speakers with the internal amp from the Z1 but will need a separate amp if you want the stock sub to work.
-there is nothing wrong with getting a 5channel amp to run everything. but there is also nothing wrong using a 4channel for speakers and 1 channel for sub.i personally prefer a 5channel. most that suggest otherwise might be more audio crazy than u, therefore opinions will be very biased. Both no option is really that much better than the other. of course keep in mind the quality of your inputs:amps,speakers headunit etc will greatly determine the efficiency of your intended output;quality sound.
-Thirdly, start using the search if u don't want the "older grandpas and grandmas" on here to yell at you.
Everything u need to know has been discussed 10million times before now ; people have gone with almost any combo u can think of; stock+a/market amp, stock+headunit amp, a/market speakers, 5 channel amp, 4channel and 1 channel amp etc.

good luck
olddog
Old 11-28-07, 10:00 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Olddog, I notice in the F/S you're selling your whole system. You mentioned you have a ED nine.5 and I'm just wondering why you're selling it. Did it not meet your expectations? Too big? SQ not up to par? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old 11-29-07, 12:43 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey

Originally Posted by jtgs400
Hey Olddog, I notice in the F/S you're selling your whole system. You mentioned you have a ED nine.5 and I'm just wondering why you're selling it. Did it not meet your expectations? Too big? SQ not up to par? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.
the amp did meet my expectations.... i ordered one and installed it and was nice. i bought another after i sold(atually gave it to a relative) the first but never got to install it cos i took out the entire audio before it got delievered.
Main reason was cos i wasn't sure whether or not i was going to keep or sell the car.

olddog