Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

my carpc install

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 01:06 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay..so i just bought some new speakers for my car over at cartoys..and they gave me the wrong sized speakers! and i had to find that out when i took apart my back seat to install my rear speakers, and they were too big! i thought i could have at least part of it installed..but nope!

i also just repainted the console a nice trim black. its actually very close to the stock pioneer head unit color and glossiness. i think this will do. this color's fine for me. everything's just about ready to be installed..just need to exchange the speakers for the right size tomorrow then rewire my whole speaker system to the amp for the computer.

question: on my amp, kenwood kac-7252, i have a thing for p. con. does anyone know what thats for? or what it is? right now, i have it hooked up to my stock unit, one wire, and it makes it so when my headunit is turned on, the amp turns on. and when i have it disconnected, it doesnt turn on at all. is there any way i can have my amp turned on when i turn on my car? is that just a ground? because when i tested it with a light tester, it didnt light up.
Old 12-23-07, 01:08 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

oh yea..and heres a link to what amp i have right now

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=detailed_info
Old 12-23-07, 07:36 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P. Con stands for power control, which is Kenwood's remote turn on wire. You need to connect it to either a 1) remote/external amp connection on an aftermarket head unit or 2) the accessory connection to your factory head unit. In laymen's terms, you need a switched 12V connection that will turn the amp on or off.
Old 12-23-07, 03:11 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

so since i wont have a head unit, is it possible that i could have it connected to a switch in the cabin so i can turn it on and off when needed? ill have the switch connected to the positive side of the cigarette lighter, and the negative to the amps p.con. that should work right?
Old 12-23-07, 03:13 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

wow..if anyone out there is looking to build a carpc..whatever you think you'll pay for the whole thing...double it! because a whole bunch of things just come up out of nowhere. so be prepared..VERY prepared
Old 12-23-07, 05:05 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

What type of power supply will you be using for your car pc? There are a few "car specific" supplies that will put the system in hibernation mode when power to the vehicle is turned off e.g. a remote wire. I would highly suggest utilizing one of these supplies as it will ease the discipline required when turning the sytem off and on. Check here for a "smart" power supply:
http://store.mp3car.com/OPUS_120_wat..._p/pwr-013.htm

I would recommend tapping the accessory wire that was running to the original head unit. Check here for the connections:
http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf
Old 12-23-07, 05:22 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

actually..for my power supply im getting, it the carnetix p1900 for the aopen pc. i will probably have it on there once i get my power supply, but for now, i think ill have it via a switch.
Old 12-24-07, 11:53 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
so since i wont have a head unit, is it possible that i could have it connected to a switch in the cabin so i can turn it on and off when needed? ill have the switch connected to the positive side of the cigarette lighter, and the negative to the amps p.con. that should work right?
yeh u can switch it urself, but i would trust me-i'd forget and end up with a dead battery. ur better off finding something with your tester that goes on and off with the ignition
Old 12-25-07, 08:11 PM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
yeh u can switch it urself, but i would trust me-i'd forget and end up with a dead battery. ur better off finding something with your tester that goes on and off with the ignition
you can tap the power for your remote from the antenna.
Old 12-26-07, 02:43 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

but what if i remove the antenna? the antenna only comes up if the radio is turned on
Old 12-26-07, 08:29 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Just tap the accessory wire coming into the original factory stereo.
Old 12-26-07, 08:33 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
probably the best idea, the harness is still there, just leech.
Old 12-26-07, 08:38 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice work! i had the same plan for my lilliput except i had the carpc in the trunk.

I never got around to molding the screen in, but i'll probably do it when i get my 300.
Old 12-26-07, 08:38 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
I have the P1900 and that is the way I have it hooked up, to the accessory wire.

You may also want to look into the SEM paints. You will find a better match in regards to the black your trying to achieve.

http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=205
Old 12-31-07, 03:48 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

okay..so its been a while since i posted..been kinda busy. but here are some shots of where im at now. im not yet completely done. right now im just running off of a power inverter and not the power supply i ordered yet. so everything right now is just a beta fit.

this is a shot of the glossy paint i got..before i repainted it again because it was too glossy.

and this is one of it not glossy anymore. this time i used some trim paint which matched a whole lot better and looked so much better than the glossy

another shot of it in the car

and one last shot.

i have to do a few minor touch ups when i reinstall it again. some things worked out better than i thought, and some not so well. i really need to get another amp for my sub, because the sound sucks with no sub..haha plus, for some reason, when i plug in my speakers to my comp, theres some static, and i dont know why. but when i plug them into my ipod, i get no static. any help there? i got new front speakers too, 4" alpine, as for the rears, i havnt changed them yet. they're still the 4" stock pioneers. i got some nice 6" jl audios for the rear i will install later.

Quick Reply: my carpc install