Sponsored by:

K40 CALIBRE Install w/laser DEFUSER

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 11:10 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K40 CALIBRE Install w/laser DEFUSER

Due to the quiet nature of the LS430, I find myself speeding. This XMAS I got the K40 system and spent some time installing it. Pretty easy install with Bluetooth technology.
I started the install by examing the rear bumper area to find a suitable mounting location. I removed the 4 retaining clips holding the bumper cover. Using a special tool helps but can be done with small screwdriver and pliers.

With the bumper cover loose, you can flex it enough to attach the receiver with 2 self tapping screws (provided).

This unit needs either constant or switched power and ground. I decided to route the wires into the car on the passenger side. This way I would be able to tap into power wires at the nav. unit. You can run the wire through the existing grommet by slicing a small hole.

The grommet is where the blue tape is at.

Last edited by 1blkls430; 12-28-07 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-28-07, 05:05 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

Power was obtained at the large plug for the NAV unit. The top wire is constant 12vdc and the bottom one is switched 12vdc.

Be sure to solder and protect all connections.

Be sure to leave the fuse out of the supplied fusehold until all done.

Install of the front license defuser and front radar receiver NEXT.

Last edited by 1blkls430; 12-28-07 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-28-07, 05:27 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

I attempted to drop the lower valence cover to access the same aluminum crash bumper but found that another cover below the radiator would have to come out also. I was able to use a piece of aluminum to make a bracket and then attach the bracket to the crash bar from above with a Rt. Angle drill and self tapping screws.

I wanted to run both sets of wires together in loom so I moved on to the Laser Defuser located in the middle.

The factory plate holder had to be removed and plastic nuts were epoxied in place of the threaded nutserts, this allowed the plastic screws to be used (long enough to go through K40 frame)

Using the supplied level, I made sure to adjust the frame to aim properly.

With this part done I routed the wires to the drivers side fuse panel.
Old 12-28-07, 05:39 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

They make these cars tight. I removed the headlamp cover to find a way to the fuse box.

Using the supplied fuseholder and 1amp fuse I tapped into an ignition fuse and notched the fuse box.

Final grounding was done and I proceeded to the interior of the car for LED indicators and main unit mounting.

Old 12-28-07, 06:07 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

Moving to the inside I did not want to mess up any dash panels. I removed the smartkey panel and the trip meter panel before attempting to pull the instrument cluster shroud.

this panel pops straight off with small screwdriver or dental pick set.

pry on the right side first, there is only one clip and the left side is held in with a notch.

Pry tool is one on top. Dental pics sold at sears.

The Blue LEDs look best when mounted from behind and glued in place. This way you can flush them to the panel you are mounting to. I chose to mount them just behind the screw holes on top of the cluster bezel.

Flush mounting looks nice.

The system lights the left for front detection and the right for rear.

Ready for takeoff??

If backmounting the LED like I did you must use either a Brad Point bit (3/16") or a unibit (incremental step drill bit) this makes a clean hold with no blowout or melting of the surrounding plastic.
Old 12-28-07, 06:17 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

2 screws hold the lower plastic dashpanel on.

The main unit is ziptied to existing wireharness along with the small audible speaker. 3 wires are routed up to the LEDs and 1 wire goes to the fusepanel in the drivers kickpanel. I used the fuse for pwr outlet and fused with 1amp fuse. Upon grounding and installing remaining 2 fuses the system came to life with the ignition in the run position. K40 powers up with 3flashes and chirps. The system works flawlessly and picks up front and rear KA easily at about 2.5 miles. The only way to know you have the system in the car is the flashing dash lights and the small remote control that allows volume, chirps, or city hwy mode. My camera ran out of life but I will post anypics you need to do the install yourself. Total install time was around 2Hrs. Thanks for looking.
Old 12-31-07, 08:52 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice and clean install! Great DIY write up

how much is a k40 kit?