Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Sound Deadning/Dynamat/Baffle Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 09:00 PM
LexFather

Question Sound Deadning/Dynamat/Baffle Question

Hey gang,
I'm not an audiophile but I am requiring a better sound system than the stock craptastic Pioneer system in the GS. I've driven most every Lexus and heard pretty much every sound system and this one is in dire need of help.

So thanks to you all, I've been searching and reading since the summer on speakers, installs, DIY, etc etc.

Well I plan to install this Saturday. Now I am not going ***** out and replacing my 4" doors with 6.5" speakers. I am keeping my 4" speakers but will choose a quality speaker.

This is my question;

1. I will use Dynamat Extreme for all my doors.
2. I am keeping the stock enclosure for the 4" speaker.
3. Do I put the speaker in a baffle, then put it in the enclosure?
Or do I use Dynamat to surround the speaker?
Or do I put the speaker in the baffle and put dynamat around the speaker?

4. I have read and the particular speaker I am interested in works best if I cut the back of the baffle out to let air in/out.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 01-07-08, 09:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The dynamat should be placed on the plastic enclosure around the speaker. There shouldn't be any dynamat sticking to the speaker at all. The sole purpose of the sound deadening material is to add mass to an object to reduce vibration, which leads to loss of midbass and increased midrange muffles. It just happens that the the plastic part where the speaker is mounted will resonate the most.

If you have a roll of sound deadener, then apply it to the whole plastic enclosure, front and back. Plastic is definitely not an ideal material to use as a baffle so you'll need to cover as much as you can.

Essentially you're going to sound deaden the crap out of the enclosure, and then just mount in your new speakers.
Old 01-07-08, 09:17 PM
LexFather

Gotcha, so I need to fill the enclosure up, should I still put the speaker in a baffle or just use the dynamat, and fill the enclosure up?
Old 01-07-08, 11:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

If you're using 4" speakers, most likely it'll fit onto the OEM enclosure with no extra baffle. But I can't say it'll work 100% because I tossed out my baffle in favor of a wooden baffle to accommodate my 6.5" mids.

The baffle and enclosure is already integrated as one piece. The surface where the speaker mounts onto is the baffle. Not sure what you mean by filling up the enclosure, unless you mean sound deadening it. If that's the case, just take your enclosure and apply sound deadener to the front of the baffle and anywhere else there is plastic (inside and/or out). Once you have that done, just put the speaker back on and install it in your door.
Old 01-08-08, 01:48 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ good answer. if you are using dynamat may i suggest wearing gloves, so you dont end up with cuts all over ytour hands?
Old 01-08-08, 10:33 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use dynamat! You can get much better products for cheaper.

Check out www.raamaudio.com, run by a guy named Rick. I was first reccomended to him by retrodrive way back in the day. Rick competes in IASCA with his truck and decided to create his own sound deadening product. He's got great prices and great customer service to back it up. When my order was 2 days late he gave me 15% off.
Old 01-08-08, 12:16 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I dont think a 4" speaker is going to produce that much bass that the enclosure will need deadening. IIRC even though those enclosures are made of plastic they're pretty solid. You can still deadening them but I don't think there will be much difference.

You can still deadening the whole doors to help seal out noise and stop some of the vibrations but the difference won't be as much as someone actually using a larger speaker mounted to a custom made baffle board and using the whole inside of the door as the enclosure.
Old 01-08-08, 05:00 PM
LexFather

Thanks guys I appreciate it. So I would be overdoing it by putting the speaker in this, with the dynamat and the plastic Lexus enclosure. lol, I'm a speaker newb!!

Old 01-08-08, 05:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

So that's what you meant by baffle

I would skip the foam baffle. Most likely your new mids were made for free-air (infinite bafffle). Putting these baffles on will most likely rob midbass and congest the lower midrange frequency.
Old 01-08-08, 10:43 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 2.5 rolls of Raammat on my car (Floor, doors and rear desk), I can feel the different. Raammat got my vote for quality and price