Sponsored by:

Trying to fix my audio system LS 400 90

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 08:04 PM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to fix my audio system LS 400 90

So I have a 1990 LS300, with the naka sound system. with a lot of years on it, 3/4 of the main speakers are non functional. the sub and the drivers side speaker still works, (which is all i need for myself) but obviously can get annoying with stereo songs and passengers. I want to know all i can about replacing the speakers and if i should get OEM ones or aftermarket. I really just want something nice and cheap that will sound ok.

On a side note, my CD changer in the trunk is old as well and is barely working. I dont use it much, but it would be nice to fix if it wasnt too much trouble or too much money.

the speakers are more important tho.

In regards to the speakers, could i replace them with any 4 inch aftermarket products? or do they have to be made for the vehicle?

is it hard to replace the speakers? i think i read somewhere there are 4 screws at the bottom of the doors.

any info would help a lot

I have found OEM speakers to replace for 30 each speaker, but i would like to know about any aftermarkets that might be cheaper or even better at the same price.

thanks a lot guys.
Old 01-13-08, 11:04 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you should need to make sure which parts have failed and need replacement, it sounds like the speckers are dead but maybe the head unit or if you are lucky enough, its because of loosen speaker connectors.

you should be proud of having nakamichi system which is the high end many are dreaming of. i suggest you go to this site: www.lexls.com read over how to remove the speakers, and you can use the still-alive one to test if head unit are bad or the speaker itself

my '90 ls400 has pioneer system so i cant tell you in details naka system setup. my in-door speakers are installed in a plastic housing in the door, i think naka would have similar setup

fixing the changer may cost you a lot of money, you may try a head cleaning CD first just in case you have a dirty optical head.

hope this helps
Old 01-14-08, 06:13 AM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, i know the nakamichi system is really good, and it even says on the logo that its a permium sound system, as well as lexus designing top notch audio systems. I will check my old speakers.

as far as the cd player, ive tried simple lens cleaning cd's and stuff, but it seems to not really help at all.