Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

INstalling a good sterep with screen and nav.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 02:39 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INstalling a good sterep with screen and nav.

It's me again.
I still have a problem with my stereo system it sound slike a surround system with only the 2 rear speaker working.
It;s the second factory Nakimichi system I put in my car and it failed me so I'm thinking of removing the whole stock system and placing an aftermarket.
But I don't want any aftermarket.
I want one that may look like it's the factory stereo so it has to fit perfectly.
It has to be a screen not necceserry touch screen but I want it to be a screen.
I also prefer to keep the amp and speakers from my stcok unit and do as little as possible to the cars electrical system.
I also want one I can program to display the Lexus logo when I turn it on.
Yeah I'm very picky so don't convince me otherwise I'm very critical when it comes to my car.
So what kind of Stereo should I buy?
Can Mark Levinson build a costum stereo system for these older cars?
I want something with high quality audio and a cd changer to put in the glove compartment and with nav.but that;s it.
I don't want something to vibrate the bass thru my whole neighbourhood.
Oh and it has to work with my stock power antenna too.
Old 01-22-08, 02:32 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

OK nobody knows.
I guess it's a stupid question.
But here's another stupid question:
Why do u have to change the whole wiring harness of the dash to make an aftermarket stereo work?
Is it the voltage?
Or polarity?
Or what?
Because I mean if it doesn't connect to the stereo you can just change the connectors t plug it in I still don't understand why an aftermarket radio doesn't work on a Lexus without changing the whole wiring harness.
What will the radio do if I connect it anyway?
Wil it explode?
Will it overload the circuit of the car causing a blackout in the whole car electrical system?
Will it make the battery explode?
Or won't ot work at all?
Please explain because this is the weirdest car I have ever owned
Old 01-22-08, 10:30 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well you are definitely all over the place so first I would do a few searches and see what people on this board have done on cars like yours for after market head units.

The problem with most of these cars is they have proprietary Stereo to AMP connectors and so it not easy just to swap out a head unit without also replacing the AMP.
It can be done but the results you want = good clean audio.

To do that you basically have to rip the whole system out.
Stereo, Amp and Speakers should be replaced to get the best sound.

Remember anything you swap out from stock will be a huge step up.

Most of these cars have crappy paper speakers like 4".

There is your first noticeable quality upgrade speakers.

The amps in these cars are no where in power to what a aftermarket amp can do. again best bang for the buck is usually a speaker and amp swap.

Now due to the integration of the Lexus stereo it is sometimes required to wire it from the Original Amp to a low line converter to a new aftermarket amp. This is how my GS400 is setup.

If you have an issue with your oem stereo or oem amp.

You might just want to go the whole 10 yards and put in a new head unit and a new amp and speakers.

There is a wide selection of aftermarket headunits and an Pioneer AVIC-D3 can do custom logos.

If you are new to stereo installations you might try to get a referral to a good shop near you.

Mickey mousing car stereo installs can be dangerous to your cars electrical system.
Old 01-23-08, 08:26 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Just about every car uses a harness for the factory stereo. This way if it fails you just unplug the harness, remove stereo and plug in a new one instead of having to cut the wires. The aftermarket stereo you buy will not have a matching harness that will plug directly into your stock one. There are companies that make these harness but even then not all cars have a harness made for them.

IIRC some model lexus don't have any harness made for them so you'll have to splice into the wires behind the harness. If you do this just make sure you wrap the connection securely with electrical tape.

As for using an aftermarket stereo with the stock amp and speakers, it's do-able but it's a lot harder and time consuming than going all aftermarket. I've been installing stereos and amps before I could drive and even I didn't want to attempt that. I highly suggest you take it to a good shop, explain what you want and see if it's feasible. Most likely they'll recommend you go all aftermarket because of the difficulty of intergrating aftermarket with stock.
Old 01-23-08, 02:13 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

OK I get it but the thing is I want the new aftermarket radio to look stock.
That's why I want to keep the same speakers but if you know any aftermarket speakers that looks the same or at least matches the color of the inside of the Sc400 let me know.
Because I don't want Black or silver looking speakers because as I say I'm way too picky.
I also would like too see that Pioneer avic d3 or something too see how it looks like because I don't want one woth only 1 cd slot or something like that I want a separate cd changer like the one that came with my stock but instead of putting it in the trunk I want to put it in the glove compartment.
And some ipod connector would be awesome 2.
And by the way what is the wattage from my stock amp.
Because if I'm going to buy a new amp I want it to be around the same wattage as my factory amp. or SLIGHTly higher but I put enphesis on the word SLIGHTLY because I don't want something to vibrate the whole car as most aftermarkets do.
I don;t listen to that crap called rap and my girlfriend she listens to music like Barbra Steisand and that kind of music so that's why I wanted to keep the stock amp or buy something with the same power as my stock so I can't have too much power.
The stock speakers are fine for me.
I'm sorry to ask for so much but as I'm say I'm to picky I'm problably crazy to do this on a car that old but I wanted to do this for a long long time.