Sponsored by:

LS400 - Headunit Deck size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 03:37 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS400 - Headunit Deck size?

I have a 1994 LS 400. Could anyone shed some light on DoubleDin aftermarket units?

I am wondering how they fit the 1994 LS400 doubledin sized hole after removal of factory head unit?

Is the Lexus unit a standard size, where the aftermarket units will fit exactly? Do some units fit better than others? If so which ones?

I'm basically just curious about the fit and look of these DoubleDin units because I don't want to lose that 'factory' flush look. Also the sizing of these units in contrast to the factory unit size will dictate whether I self install or get someone else to do it (ie: requires a fair amount of fabrication to make it look factory).

Thanks,
Old 02-13-08, 05:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

it isnt a standard size, if u put in a 2din there will be space all around the headunit.

you will have to have a faceplate custom made.
Old 02-13-08, 07:18 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
it isnt a standard size, if u put in a 2din there will be space all around the headunit.

you will have to have a faceplate custom made.

Ahh.. finally an answer to this question. So basically the factory slot isn't even close to a 'standard' Doubledin size. Surely they make a 'general' kit for the lexus ls400 for doubledins,.. or does every audio shop in town have to fabricate a custom plate for every lexus install?

If they have to do it everytime, I will fabricate it myself.. As I will spend the time to make it look right and rip it out and start over if it isn't perfect.

Given all of this is true:

Can you recommend any materials or shops/online to get plates that I could use to cut/dremel out around the area surrounding the aftermarket DoubleDin unit I decide to purchase?

Black/Matte plastic would probably look a little cheap -- So what would you guys recommend? And where have you found the material.

I am thinking I will go with your recommendations, as I don't know where to get something 'to start with' at the moment, and then use pliers/cutters, and a dremel tool to make sure there are no gaps between the dash/face plate (and in the middle the DD deck).

Not to offend anyone, but I've seen some pictures of Single DIN decks put in the DoubleDin huge slot the factory radio came out in Lexus's.. and the faceplates around those things make it look awful. Which is why I would obviously go Doubledin to fill as much area with the Deck as possible, then plate the edges with something nice.

Thanks for the answer, and I anticipate any replies.. I've gotten alot of information down now about the sound system components,.. all that is left is this fabrication, and wiring details that I haven't yet gotten answered compeltely.

Take care,
Old 02-13-08, 09:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Forum Moderator

gotta search buddy, this has been discussed NUMEROUS times......

nobody makes a 2din kit for the LS. the closest you're gunna get is buying a 1din and modifying it.
Old 02-13-08, 11:55 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
gotta search buddy, this has been discussed NUMEROUS times......

nobody makes a 2din kit for the LS. the closest you're gunna get is buying a 1din and modifying it.

Everything on this forum has been discussed numerous times, that is the nature of forums. I do search, and I get a bit here and a bit there, but it doesn't fill the entire equation.

Nonetheless:

Noone makes a 2din kit for the LS?

Is this not a 2din kit?

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10530
Old 02-14-08, 05:43 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that kit ^ looks like it will work fine. a double din fits perfectly top to bottom, butit just leaves a gap on each side. it even bolts right into the stock bracket and fits flush like stock. if you get that kit, i think it will work fine.
i still have gaps on either sideo f mine, as i haven't had time to make the small pieces to fill in. i have some type of plastic board i pickedu p somewhere that will work great, i just need to get to work on it!
Old 02-14-08, 02:22 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks 19 -- I hadn't seen a kit for doubledin lexus until I searched around for it. This claims to be THE only kit for our cars. The pricetag shows it too. Most all other kits were half or less the cost.

But,.. 50$ is worth a flush mount imo.

It is looking like I will be doing this myself ,.. which I love because I can order whatever I want, no limitations.

With a 600$ budget I can get a fairly decent sounding system.

The only components I worry about are the door speakers being too underpowered in constrast to the sub I put in.

Do you think the Aftermarket doors will sound decent with that IB Sub? Or will it be obvious that I have a massive 2-300Watt sub and relatively cheap door coaxials?
Old 02-14-08, 03:16 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

actually the door speakers, if they are still in good shape, will be plenty loud powered by the deck. you have tweeters up in the sail panels which help brighten it up in the front. of course they could sound better if you upgraded but you may not find it necessary.
Old 02-14-08, 06:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Forum Moderator

sorry, i tend to be 2LS centered a lot of the time.

the autotoys kit has been posted before but when one of my friends tried to order it they told him they were out of stock/discont? (they werent sure if/when more were coming )
Old 02-14-08, 11:32 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Your to "2LS" Centered? That is short for?

Second Gen?

Anyhow, I have a new proposition that I am prepared to do.. which should be even easier, and sound just fine for me.

I am going to make a new thread for it -- called "installing aftermarket headunit in LS400"

Check it out if you want to help...

Yes I have searched!

Thanks
Old 02-15-08, 04:50 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

go for it. the info is on here, but spending hours searching for that one last piece of info can get really frustrating. if you need help, let me know, i've had everything apart in the ucf10 for stereo installs.
Old 02-15-08, 09:33 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

You got it -- I've got the bulk of the it, but it is very 'generalized' -- I need to work out specifics.

Anyhow I'll start slow.

I have the 94 LS 400. It has the Pioneer Deck (Tape/Radio). (I peeked at the amp in the trunk and it says pioneer on it.

My question: Does my car have one or two amps?

IE: does it have just the one amp for the sub, and the deck powers the door speakers.. or does it have 2 amps, 1 for sub, and 1 for door speakers?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-08, 10:24 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

check ur pm.
Old 02-15-08, 11:05 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Did, mucho gracious.