Aftermarket setup with 94 LS400 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 07:35 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aftermarket setup with 94 LS400 help

Hi guys/ladies,..

I have made quite a few posts on this subject and have gotten alot of great information, but it seems if a post dies for a day or so it is off to the land of 'nod' and never gets any more responses, so I am making this new one which is condensed a bit which will include some of what I know now vs. the older ones that had questions that have been answered or I have researched.

Car Owned: 1994 LS 400

Current System: Factory Pioneer Deck. (Has Tape/Radio only)

Specifications I have researched/been answered: 4 main speakers are 4" in size. It is that simple in the 94. The sub is a Freeair 8" woofer.

My expectations: A better sound than factory, but nothing extremely 'loud' or monster 'bass'. So just a few notches up from the factory system.

Current Plans: Purchase 4, 4ohm 4inch speakers to replace the 4 factory speakers. Purchase one 8inch IB/Freeair Subwoofer at 200-300RMS -- Purchase one amp at 200-300 Watts RMS (Sub at 2ohms). Purchase: Aftermarket Doubledin Size CD Player, with 20-25WattsRMS x 4 at 4ohms.

Need help with:

1) Wiring -- Every speaker is a direct replacement, same size, no modification needed. Plug and play. I wish to use factory wiring on the 4 regular 4inch speakers if this is possible. (Is it?) -- Can I use a Toyota wiring harness to connect my new CD player to the existing wiring and the 4 new 4inch speakers function off my new Deck that runs 20-25watts RMS? (The speakers will be bought to run off of 20-25Watts RMS).

2) Wiring of Sub: -- I am also hoping I can obtain the Signal for the sub from the factory wiring behind the deck. Where I can tap into the wiring either in front of or behind the factory amplifier going to the sub right now. (Basically so my wiring would consist of the following:

3) External Wiring Required: -- Power cable from batter to amplifier (fuse box for amplifier). -- Utilize factory wire going into the Amplifier that currently runs stock Sub, splice into it and run this wire into new aftermarket amp for the signal. Then from this aftermarket amp run Wires/RCA's to the Sub itself. (Again the sub will get its signal from the sub wire already in place that runs from factory deck to sub amp. (This wire will also be tapped into the Aftermarket Deck for the signal of course, but hopefully so I can control sub volume from the new Deck (not essential but would be nice).

4) -- So basically I am hoping it is possible to use factory wiring for everything,.. The only wiring I will have to do myself is after I bypass the stock amplifier going to sub and running a wire from there to Amp, and amp to Sub. (Plus power cable) and Harness wiring in dash behind deck).

5) -- Fabrication -- I've been told the doubledin units do not come close to fitting the slot that will be left behind with factory deck taken out. I will have to fabricate a custom plate for the new aftermarket DoubleDin unit despite what unit I purchase. (What are good materials for this? Any 'kits' that make the job easier than it has to be?)

That about sums it up.

I guess the only question mark is,.. besides the sub amp, are there any other amplifiers STOCK that I am unaware of? -- I asked above, but will the factory wiring will be fine for aftermarket replacement 4inch speakers that will run off the aftermarket 4-ohm 25wattx4 Deck? (Not even asking about quality of wire here, this is just to prevent having to run any additional wiring for these 4 speakers).

I ask all of this so I can be confident in knowing what lay before me, and that I can order the appropriate speakers/amps/deck and any kits (wiring/harnesses/cables) that I will need.

If you are an audio expert please read through this post carefully so you can address all of the questions, as I have tried to be a bit redundent here so nothing will go unnoticed. --If you are not an expert, anything you know will, of course, be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Neofate; 02-13-08 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 09:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

SEARCH. it has ALL been discussed/answered before.
Old 02-13-08, 09:58 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yokidoookiiii
Im back again haha, since im free from all that crazy school work. :]

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html
if you follow that i think you will be golden.
yes you can use the factory wiring for your new speakers. Im still iffy about the using the stock amp to send the signal. if your going to get an aftermarket deck. you should just an rca from the deck to the trunk you will get a way better result.

http://xplayazplayzonx.multiply.com/...album%2F27%237
http://xplayazplayzonx.multiply.com/...album%2F27%238
check out these wire diagrams i got for you. it should answer a lot of your questions.

they make a nak amp for your car same with my 95. but im not sure how good it is. i heard it didnt match up to well with the pioneer wire harness that are already intergrated. but i could be wrong.

hopefully i explained myself enough and all the information i gave you will help you.
Old 02-13-08, 10:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
Yokidoookiiii

yes you can use the factory wiring for your new speakers. Im still iffy about the using the stock amp to send the signal. if your going to get an aftermarket deck. you should just an rca from the deck to the trunk you will get a way better result.

check out these wire diagrams i got for you. it should answer a lot of your questions.

they make a nak amp for your car same with my 95. but im not sure how good it is. i heard it didnt match up to well with the pioneer wire harness that are already intergrated. but i could be wrong.

hopefully i explained myself enough and all the information i gave you will help you.
you cant switch out nak/non nak for 95+ since the nak cars dont use hte amp to control the cd changer and the non nak cars do.
Old 02-13-08, 10:40 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
Yokidoookiiii

PK great help as always.

I have searched and have read alot Drift,.. It still doesn't answer my questions directly. I apprecaite the heads up on the search button..

Anyhow --

PK,.. great, so I can use a wiring harness and utilize my stock wiring for 4 of 5 speakers. That saves alot of time.

If it has to be an RCA pre-out from the headunit to the amp, then so be it,.. I have to run a power cable anyhow, I guess I can run them together If I can get them to match up in the console in a similar place.

I don't think I want to replace whatever amp is in the car with a Nak amp,.. I believe I will come out with better quality/power and price going with an aftermarket. Agree?

Lastly -- With my proposed setup,.. running 4 speakers off the headunit and then running the IB/Free-air 8" sub -- Do you think it will sound ok? For example the 2-300 watt sub won't be drowning out my 20-25watt 4inch speakers, and so forth.

The *main* reason I am doing this is because this system and car did not come with a CD player. It has a 6disc change in the trunk which is broken , but it absolutely cannot be factory. The controls for this changer come up in a little bitty wired remote that is inside the console. Looks definitely like an almost amateur setup. I would imagine if the Changer was stock the headunit might have a 'CD' button on it, and perhaps some controls to actually drive the CD changer

If the stock headunit did come with a CD_player I doubt I would even bother with all of this right now. But just the radio isn't going to cut it unfortunately.

Again, I appreciate the kind responses of people willing to give a little help!

Be well,
Old 02-14-08, 09:59 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well whats good about the P325.1 amp is that it comes with a bass controller so you can adjust it to your liking. all levels of sounds depending on the quality of the music your listening too. i would just mess around with your deck here and there and you should be set. i think you will be fine.