Installing AfterMarket Headunit in 94 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 11:48 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installing AfterMarket Headunit in 94 LS 400

Heya,

I have switched my goals/motive from amps/new sub etc , to simply installing a nice aftermarket *doubledin* headunit and utilizing what is already in place.

IE: Aftermarket headunit, and USING the amp(s) and all 5 speakers (4speakers 1 sub).

Before you hang me, or flame me .. I have searched and read on the topic for a long time. -- I still need help. So I hope some of you can provide some advice.

First off,.. *YES* it is possible to use an aftermarket headunit AND use your factory amplifier and speakers. No, it is not that difficult. --

Now you might be asking, well why in the heck are you asking us then? -- Good question, .. I am only certain that this is possible, the exact method of doing it I am not certain on.

So with that in mind, if you can get a little detailed with how to go about doing this, please post.

Also, I have another question that I can't find using search for some reason.

On the 94 LS 400 (with the pioneer head unit .. what I have) -- Does it utilize One, or Two amps? (Basically does it have 2 amps or 1 stock)
I can't figure out if it is using the head unit to power the 4 door speakers, and an additional amp for the sub.

Or

Using an amp to power the 4 door speakers, and another amp to power the sub by itself.

Anyone know which one it is?

----------

Ok,.. Here are some search responses I got that indicate it is, indeed, possible and not *that* hard to get an aftermarket head unit to work with the factory setup in a LS 400 (and most lexus's for that matter).

---------
The sub amp needs a low level signal to work-- as well as a remote turn-on wired in -- you should actually be able to just connect the head unit's remote wire to the original remote lead in the harness to turn the amp on--

You removed it's head unit that supplied the sub amp a preamp level crossed over signal and you need to send the sub amp that signal once again--

It would be MUCHO helpful if your head unit you installed happened to have a subwoofer output with a built in xover-- if so -- man are you in luck-- you just need to run rca level from the sub output back to the sub amp wherever it is and set the xover to about 90 hz -- 80hz is fine too-
If you don't have this with your new head unit, and you still want to retain your stock sub and sub amp, you can still send your amp low level signal, but it will need to be crossed over-- so you can do one of two things-- buy a speaker level passive crossover for about $20 and run it inline with the speaker wires to the sub to cross it over, or run an electronic crossover b/t teh head unit and the sub amp--

The cheapest way is of course the passive xover if you in fact don't have the built in subwoofer output and built in xover in the head unit you installed--
I just hooked up finally with success an Alpine HU into my 2000 GS300 with the Pioneer deck. Using the Metra 1987+ Toyota 71-8113 harnesses, I took one of the wiring harnesses and extended the cable to just behind and on the right of the glove box. Do not use the harness behind the deck, you wont get sound because the factory amp requires a digital turn on lead aftermarket stereos don't have. The two bottom white plugs on the amp (standing vertically on its side) are what connects all your speakers and constant power (Yellow on the harness). The little plug containing the rear and subwoofer (you will lose the subwoofer) The larger plug has your fronts and your constant power. This requires removing and repinning the harness to correctly correspond to the factory configuration. Do this by taking a small pin to bend back the plastic locks and pulling out the pin/wire assemblies from the harness.

As for your accessory power you will need to use the smaller plug on the second wire harness package to securely connect the switched power. This too requires removing all pins and wires and using the red to repin to the exact location.
removing technical-- the factory amp needs signal to amplify-- which it will send to the sub--

you can send it signal from your new head unit -- there are a few ways to send that signal-- with or without a crossover (frequency filter) -- your sub only plays low frequencies-- so you want to send it only the right frequencies -- not full range--

this is the reason I was asking if your new head unit has a built in low pass crossover for a sub amp-- if it does it will make doing this very simple-- if not it's still simple, but will require more than one step to make it work--

Nothing complicated about it-- just routing signals where they need to go, and the proper signals at that--
Ok I bolded some parts of that , that made sense to me.. and were somewhat specific.

Anyhow -- With this in mind, and that it IS possible, and not that difficult if you just think about things for a bit.

What all specifications should I make SURE I have have in the aftermarket DoubleDin headunit I purchase to make this install A) Possible, and B) The most simple it can be??

Example answer..: Sub Pre-outs and so forth.

I will direct my choice on head units based on what is recommended I have included on the rear of this new unit -- So the install will not only work with all 5 speakers, but be somewhat easy, without having to run wires from front to back.

I have switched from replacing the stock sub and adding and amp -- To just spending a little more on the Headunit (Maybe 500$) And wiring it all into the factory Amps/Speakers.
Anything you can add, or detail , and recommend on headunit purchase will be great..

and I think it will be a good resource for future searches.

I will, in fact, make a DIY with lots of pictures and step by step instructions on how to do this in a LS 400 -- because I bet alot of people would like to do it themselves but have heard so often that you simple cannot use the factory amps/speakers even if you wanted to.

Thanks,
Old 02-18-08, 01:11 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see something quoted from me. This is all nice and easy, but what is the secret behind turning on the amp and that pesky digital signal?? It would be fun to find a wiring diagram to put together a little "turn on" box. Hopefully this is the same between the LS and the GS
Old 02-18-08, 05:02 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipicanez
Nice to see something quoted from me. This is all nice and easy, but what is the secret behind turning on the amp and that pesky digital signal?? It would be fun to find a wiring diagram to put together a little "turn on" box. Hopefully this is the same between the LS and the GS
Well.. I think I've got it figured out with minimal effort.

I've ordered the following:

Head unit:

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...it=deh-p6900ub

Harness:

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=70-8112

*Notice the difference in the 'generic unit alot of people get' -- This one has the RCA's.

The kit/faceplate:

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=99-8156

I think I have it pretty well figured out. I will be receiving the unit Tuesday/Wednesday (depends considering holiday)..

I will post pictures of the final product when I get it done, and verify that it was either Easy, or a pain in the ****