Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Infinite Baffle / Free Air Subwoofer - Please Post Brands and Models

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 06:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Oh yea, add all the Image Dynamics subwoofers to the list. They will all work fine (ID, IDv2, IDQ, IDMAX, etc)
Old 02-26-08, 07:42 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

aura sound as well
Old 02-26-08, 11:08 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Updated!

Originally Posted by Spyder78
aura sound as well
Which Aura Sub? or all of them?
Old 02-27-08, 03:30 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of them. I looked at the NRT series and the Qts is .4 or a little higher across the entire line. That's a little lower than I like for an IB but it will work well. In fact, if you are a bass head, then the emphasized low end will be a nice benefit.

-Robert
Old 03-04-08, 11:01 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did some research, dynaudio MW180 can be IB mounted.
Old 03-05-08, 08:20 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dashan
HI, Robert,

How do you think about Dynaudio MW180 as a free air sub mounted on an LS400 rear deck, power by a dedicated amp?
First, I don't answer technical questions over PM on any forum I frequent. You take away the ability of someone to find the answers when they search. Everyone should search the knowledge base before asking a question.

As for the Dynaudio driver, I have no idea. Post the T/S specs and I'll take a look. Better yet, model it in WinISD or Unibox. An IB is really just a large sealed box.

And I don't agree with all of the entries on the list above. The ED drivers have a qts lower than I would use in an IB install. I don't base my IB decisions on marketing labels or descriptions. I base my decisions on how well a sub models in software. Based on my experience with Unibox, it is correct most of the time.

-Robert
Old 03-05-08, 08:49 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robert_J
First, I don't answer technical questions over PM on any forum I frequent. You take away the ability of someone to find the answers when they search. Everyone should search the knowledge base before asking a question.

As for the Dynaudio driver, I have no idea. Post the T/S specs and I'll take a look. Better yet, model it in WinISD or Unibox. An IB is really just a large sealed box.

And I don't agree with all of the entries on the list above. The ED drivers have a qts lower than I would use in an IB install. I don't base my IB decisions on marketing labels or descriptions. I base my decisions on how well a sub models in software. Based on my experience with Unibox, it is correct most of the time.

-Robert
Are these what you mean for T/S? Thanks.
http://www.dynaudio.de/images/auto/m.../DYN_MW180.pdf
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/car/drivers/180.htm
Old 03-05-08, 08:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yup those are the T/S (Thiele Small) parameters. The charts you have display a function of a single variable over a range of frequencies.
Old 03-05-08, 09:08 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Please comment on MW180 as an IB sub according to its P/S.

Thanks
Old 03-05-08, 01:26 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I modeled the Dyn in a 500L sealed enclosure. That's close enough to an IB install.
Fb = 34.5 hz (good)
F3 = 49.66 hz (Doesn't look good on paper but it will be different in the car)
Qtc = .519 (perfect in my book. Good slope. Cabin gain will easily match with the slope for bass down very low.)

The bad news. This driver will only take 22w of power at 30hz before reaching maximum linear excursion of 9mm for a max output of 100db. Yes, it has 26mm of excursion but once you get past linear, distortion goes through the roof. I wouldn't use a sub with under 15mm of xmax in an IB. But that is my personal opinion.

-Robert
Old 03-05-08, 09:51 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry guys but I can no longer update the list above. I tried to reset my previous user name (Iamthor) password and never got a confirmation email. I tried three times and then emailed the admins three times and never got a response so i created a new user name and profile (Debonair).
Old 03-06-08, 03:18 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robert_J
I modeled the Dyn in a 500L sealed enclosure. That's close enough to an IB install.
Fb = 34.5 hz (good)
F3 = 49.66 hz (Doesn't look good on paper but it will be different in the car)
Qtc = .519 (perfect in my book. Good slope. Cabin gain will easily match with the slope for bass down very low.)

The bad news. This driver will only take 22w of power at 30hz before reaching maximum linear excursion of 9mm for a max output of 100db. Yes, it has 26mm of excursion but once you get past linear, distortion goes through the roof. I wouldn't use a sub with under 15mm of xmax in an IB. But that is my personal opinion.

-Robert
Thanks, Robert,

Do I need to set a low pass for this sub? If so, what is the Hz I should set at?
Old 03-06-08, 05:33 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dashan
Thanks, Robert,

Do I need to set a low pass for this sub? If so, what is the Hz I should set at?
All subs need a low pass filter of some type. If you are getting your signal from the current sub output, then that is already filtered. You would need something like Room EQ Wizard or True RTA software and the proper hardware to determine that. If you have a completely new system, I like to start at 80hz and go from there. Depending on the car I've gone as high as 100hz and as low as 60hz. Whatever blends in with the rest of the system.

-Robert
Old 03-06-08, 07:07 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Thanks Robert, very helpful.