Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

10" aftermarket sub in factory location...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 05:53 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 10" aftermarket sub in factory location...

I have a '00 GS400.

I've searched and know it can be done but how does everyone like this setup? I was at a local audio shop the other day and the tech mentioned that I will have a crap load of trunk rattle by going with a single 10" in the rear deck lid. He suggested I get a custom box for the 10" and put it in my trunk.

I currently have two 12" subs in a sealed box and it's a bit overpowering to say the least. The gain is all the way down and my factory deck is on -3 (bass) and it still rattles the hell out of my trunk besides I want to lose the unnecessary weight and free up space in my trunk. I do NOT want to go with another box of any kind in the trunk. I would really appreciate feedback from any1 that has done this.

I realize that the single 10" sub (in the factory location) would not hit as hard as two 12" subs in the trunk but I don't mind. I just want a little extra bass in the back to know somethings there. Please help!
Old 02-21-08, 06:04 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can put a 12 in the factory location with a baffle too. Thats what I did with mine. You just need to use some sound deadener on the rear deck to get the rattles under control.
Old 02-21-08, 06:07 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carlos and I both have replaced the stock subs with aftermarket replacements using a mdf ring as a baffle. I dynomatted both sides of my deck and there are no rattles whatsoever.
Old 02-21-08, 06:57 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Carlos and I both have replaced the stock subs with aftermarket replacements using a mdf ring as a baffle. I dynomatted both sides of my deck and there are no rattles whatsoever.
What subs are you and carlos running in the rear deck? And where did you get the mdf ring? Looking to upgrade mine and only thing I found was the ed kits.
Old 02-22-08, 07:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Hey Cliff, do you think you guys might be able to help and direct me as to where you got this mdf ring, the sound deadening material and the 10" speaker that you have or one that you would recommend? If I gathered all these items could you guys perhaps help me with the install if i rolled out by you guys one weekend?
Old 02-22-08, 07:57 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Hey Cliff, do you think you guys might be able to help and direct me as to where you got this mdf ring, the sound deadening material and the 10" speaker that you have or one that you would recommend? If I gathered all these items could you guys perhaps help me with the install if i rolled out by you guys one weekend?

We made it, buy the MDF at home depot and cut out the ring. It's pretty simple, but yeah, of course, if you come through, we'll help out. You'll need some silicone as well (I think I've for a fresh tube though).

When you find which sub you want to go with I've got a website you can check out.