Sponsored by:

IB limits in a 2g gs3

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 08:53 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IB limits in a 2g gs3

Looking to upgrade my rear sub and keep it in the stock location. I was wondering what is the most power I can run in a IB setup. I have a 1200watt (500rms) amp and was thinking it might be overkill in a IB setup. So thought I ask the max power so I can choose a sub and amp to compliment each other in a IB setup.
Old 02-21-08, 10:28 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would just put in a seal subs you have space for it lol in the back ive seem people put a jl 10w6v2
Old 02-21-08, 10:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Power rating has nothing to do with how much power can be put into an "IB" setup. The subwoofer itself dictates the amount of power it'll take. It's the mechanical power handling that is the weakpoint, not the thermal power rating (that most manufactor rate at).

Just because you hook up a 500wrms amp to a subwoofer does not mean the sub is constantly getting that much power. The power that the amplifier actually see is dependent on the frequency, input voltage, etc.

Bottom line? Hook it up and use the volume **** wisely. I'm sure anyone would be able to turn down the **** when they hear/smell/sees funny things coming from the back.
Old 02-21-08, 11:37 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
i would just put in a seal subs you have space for it lol in the back ive seem people put a jl 10w6v2
I have a son and just want to get out the most in a IB setup since I need the truck space and prefer not to add too much weight to the trunk either.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Power rating has nothing to do with how much power can be put into an "IB" setup. The subwoofer itself dictates the amount of power it'll take. It's the mechanical power handling that is the weakpoint, not the thermal power rating (that most manufactor rate at).

Just because you hook up a 500wrms amp to a subwoofer does not mean the sub is constantly getting that much power. The power that the amplifier actually see is dependent on the frequency, input voltage, etc.

Bottom line? Hook it up and use the volume **** wisely. I'm sure anyone would be able to turn down the **** when they hear/smell/sees funny things coming from the back.
I understand what your getting at but didn't want to go too low in power if I could get more out it. Right now I am looking at this sub because it is close to the amp ratings I have http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...3VW1000&tp=111 does anyone have any input on it? It is a IB sub also.
Old 02-21-08, 11:43 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you might have to worry about the weight of the sub on the rear deck. it might put to much stress on your rear deck. some people recommend building a bracket to help support the sub. i know the rear deck in my 1995 LS400 is pretty weak. but i heard the newer lexus have thicker 2 piece metal. but i cant say how strong it is.
Old 02-22-08, 07:27 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeper2jz
Right now I am looking at this sub because it is close to the amp ratings I have http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...3VW1000&tp=111 does anyone have any input on it? It is a IB sub also.
Looking at the 10mm xmax (one way linear excursion) and the low Vas, I'd say it will handle about 50 watts at 30hz before bottoming out. There's not enough info to really model it in Unibox.

Originally Posted by Sleeper2jz
I understand what your getting at but didn't want to go too low in power if I could get more out it.
Buy a big amp and set the gains with a DMM. I've posted the link the video at ED's site in about every IB thread on the first page.

-Robert