Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

please!need help with speaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08 | 06:31 PM
sigers98
Driver

Default please!need help with speaker

please can someone advise what is wrong,i changed the rear drivers side door speaker tonight with brand new one from lexus,fitted it,and it still does not work,this is the only one that does not,any idea's please? 2003 ls430,with nav if this makes a difference,mark levinson
Old 02-22-08 | 06:39 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by sigers98
please can someone advise what is wrong,i changed the rear drivers side door speaker tonight with brand new one from lexus,fitted it,and it still does not work,this is the only one that does not,any idea's please? 2003 ls430,with nav if this makes a difference,mark levinson

I am assuming you replaced the speaker because it stopped working.

So, you probably replaced a speaker that has not gone bad. Instead you narrowed down the problem. It isn't the speaker that is bad, it is the connection.

I would guess that if you fix the real problem, your original speaker will work just fine and you can take back the speaker you just bought and get your money back.

I am not familiar with the 430 -- But I have a 400.. If you are not mechanically/electronically inclined whatsoever,.. take it to a reputable audio shop (or even the dealer if you have the money) and tell them you replaced the speaker but it still doesn't work , so it has to be something between the headunit and the speaker itself.

If you are inclined to troubleshoot this stuff yourself.

Pull the headunit out -- Find the wire that feeds the rear speaker and test it. Use the new speaker you just got and run a tap into the rear speaker feed from the factory harness. It should power it. If it doesn't.. check the connection. Undo the harness and look over the wiring connection and the pin inside the unit to make sure you are getting solid contact.

Run a jumper wire from the headunit itself for that speaker eliminating the harness (keep the harness in to power the unit, but on that particular speaker have your own jump to then power the speaker. If it powers it, you know the wiring/connector is bad in that area, and you can get a new harness, or just repair the one you have. If it still doesn't power the speaker,.. you might have a dreaded problem with the actual headunit going bad on that speaker.

*Just to note.. before you do any of that, don't forget the obvious. Check your fader and balance settings. Be sure you don't have the fade all the way up front, or the balance all the way to the right. You never know if a simple setting has it off. *

Good luck
Old 02-22-08 | 07:22 PM
sigers98
Driver

thanks neofate for your imput,but i am not good with electrical,thought it would be simple,i may take to an audio shop in miami,let them look at it,i checked all the faders and balance,i just changed the sub-woofer that was dead as well,the new one worked just fine,I thought this one would be the easy one,anyway thanks again.

Last edited by sigers98; 02-22-08 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-22-08 | 07:25 PM
sigers98
Driver

just another question,you mentioned the wire to the head unit,does each speaker have its own wire ?because i think the amp is easy to get to,It could just be loose connection with any luck
Old 02-22-08 | 11:09 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Yes each speaker has its own wire coming out of the back of the Head unit (deck). That is what this sounds like,.. a bad connection somewhere.. Either at the speaker or behind the headunit itself. (Hopefully not in the wiring between the two hehe..)

I encourage you to wiggle and check anything you feel comfortable doing. Removing the headunit isn't that difficult in most Lexus's. Though if you don't feel comfortable, do find a 'competent' technician to take a look. This should be a relatively easy problem to diagnose and fix.