Sponsored by:

Kicker with rockford fosgate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 08:28 PM
jishan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker with rockford fosgate?

hey guys currently i have a small system with a rockford fosgate P325.2 325 watts RMS amp and a performance teknique 2000 watts dual coil subwoofer. The thing is i would like to upgrade my sub with two kicker L5 12" will the amp be even be close to be able to handle it? or do i need to buy a new amp ? Right now the amp is pumping the performance teknique really well its just i want more power. And what is the difference between the kicker SQUARE design and the treditional circle ones? is there a big difference or its all the same?
Old 02-26-08, 09:23 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jishan
hey guys currently i have a small system with a rockford fosgate P325.2 325 watts RMS amp and a performance teknique 2000 watts dual coil subwoofer. The thing is i would like to upgrade my sub with two kicker L5 12" will the amp be even be close to be able to handle it? or do i need to buy a new amp ? Right now the amp is pumping the performance teknique really well its just i want more power. And what is the difference between the kicker SQUARE design and the treditional circle ones? is there a big difference or its all the same?
no it will not work its to big of a difference. you are going to end up frying the amp on 1 L5 12 rms one channel is 325 on your amp. the L5 12 rms is at 600 watt a piece. so you would need to pick up a new amp fo sure.
Old 02-26-08, 09:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If you set your gains accordingly to your headunit's measured preout voltage,your amp will not fry under any circumstance. You will only overheat the amp if you turn the gain **** all the way up while having the volume **** up there also. This will cause the amp to try to put out more power than it's comfortable with.

Subwoofer's thermal rating has nothing to do with the amplifier at all. The amp doesn't really care what the sub is rated as, as long as the subwoofer's impedance is within what the amp can handle. Besides, the RMS rating is rated differently among all car audio brands. Many brands have different methods of measuring the thermal power rating.

You can achieve maximum performance with the power you have, but the downside is that your enclosure will have to be pretty large. If you build your box so that the L5 reaches maximum mechanical excursion with 300w, then adding more power will not do anything, except possibly hurt the subwoofer.

There are lots of variables that needs to be taken into account before you start choosing amplifiers randomly. But in any case, i always go with the most power my budget can handle. You can always turn down the gain, but you cannot always turn it up
Old 02-27-08, 08:19 AM
jishan
Driver School Candidate

hey guys thanks for the advice now i am really confused should i get the less cheaper round subs instead of these squre subs and if i get round subs i can probally afford a better amp. If i get the round subs i am plannin to get 2 of them which round subs do you guys recommend i want enough bass to turn head cuz right now my performance teknique is doing really good when you hear it from inside lol but if you go outside you can't hear ne bass at all . so which ones should i get and also what kinda amp? thanks alot guys
Old 02-27-08, 03:37 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Get a better amp like an ED 9.1, Sundown SAZ-1000D and pair it with a Fi Car Audio Q or BTL 15" in the proper sized box.

As for hearing the sub outside the car, that is difficult in a Lexus. They put a lot of sound deadening material in the car to keep out the road noise. That also keeps the bass in the car. And an honest question - why do you want others to hear your stereo?

-Robert
Old 02-27-08, 10:29 PM
soaringsc3
Pole Position

bro i got a brand new never used rockford fogate p1000 pm me for more info..
Old 02-28-08, 09:21 AM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

from my personal experience i would stay away from the kicker subs. especially the square ones. they are great for making a ton of noise but arent too accurate. you will def. need a stronger amp if you want to run those. i had two sets and on both had the voice coil pop off on atleast one sub and had to solder it back. the only subs i really liked from kicker are the comp vr's which are round.