Elemental Designs SQ10 install into SC300 is complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 10:25 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Elemental Designs SQ10 install into SC300 is complete

Well

The factory sub recently went out and I needed to scramble to get something temporary until I could do my custom install. I went ahead and picked up an Elemental Designs SQ10 shallow subwoofer to hold me over. I'm not a huge fan of IB sub installs, but this will be fine for now.

The SQ10 looks as though it was designed to fit perfectly into the factory location. I had to do minor manipulation to get it to set properly.

I will be doing another SQ10 install in Travis's SC shortly. I'll snap pics of the progress and write up a DIY on the steps I took for install.

Old 02-27-08, 11:06 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tell us how you like the quality of the eD IB sub :]
Old 02-28-08, 12:59 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks good -- how much modification did you have to do? Just bending of the frame for a proper fit on the deck?

Using factory amp I asssume? Happen to know what brand the amp is, and how much power it pushes? (I'm curious because I am about to do something similar in my LS 400.. that has a factory Pioneer amp pushing the 8inch factory sub with 40watts RMS).

If you used the factory amp, what is the RMS rating of that ED sub vs what the amp is actually feeding it?

Lastly (sorry for all the questions hehe) -- What is the difference in sound quality?

Looks great man.
Old 02-28-08, 07:52 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Installation was pretty straight forward. Once the factory sub was removed from the bracket, I simply had to drill and tap the holes to attach the sub to the bracket. There were tiny plastic alignment pieces that also needed to be shaved so the sub would fit flush with the bracked. I clearanced the rubber gasket to fit around the screws that held the metal bracket to the plastic filler assembly.

I had to clearance the deck just a little. I made small cutouts to clear the speaker terminals. After that, the brackets were about 2mm from attaching directly to the deck. Therefore, I clearanced the deck a little to clear the 3 front spokes of the speaker basket and it dropped in perfectly.

I am currently running off the factory amp. The Pioneer sub that came out has an impedance of 1ohm. The ED sub has an impedance of 4ohms. Depending on the linearity of power vs. impedance, this would equate to about 1/4 the power from the original OEM sub. I'm pretty sure the sub amp is not linear so i would assume more power.

If you plan on running the factory amp, get the 2ohm version of the SQ10 to better align with the factory impedance.

My Xtant 603X will be going in shortly, as well as a new source unit. I can't wait to get rid of the OEM system and amp!
Old 02-28-08, 02:29 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have any undershots of it? how thick is that whole sub?
Old 02-28-08, 02:49 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
you have any undershots of it? how thick is that whole sub?
I'll snap some tonight and report back. It is more shallow than the factory sub.
Old 02-28-08, 05:49 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

really now? wow..hows it sound? and how much was it?
Old 02-28-08, 06:09 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Check out the ED website for information. I got free shipping so it was dirt cheap. I haven't done any critical listening just yet and am not sure if I can get any with the factory head unit/amp.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=106

Old 02-28-08, 07:08 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice job on that install. So how does it sound?
Old 02-28-08, 10:08 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

yes..please inform us of how it sounds when you get it working! i need a shallow sub for my setup in the trunk. since i dont have a cd changer anymore..thats where i plan to install my sub
Old 02-29-08, 10:08 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Did a little bit of critical listening this morning.

From the initial session, I can't really make any conclusions on the sound quality of this thing. Since I'm currently using the OEM head unit and amp, the output is less than the OEM sub (1ohm vs. 4ohm) but not that much. The sub goes a little bit deeper and is a little tighter, but overall, not much difference.

I expect all of this to obviously change when I go to an aftermarket source and amplifier. The Pioneer/Nakamichi OEM system is probably one of the worst I've ever heard. The amount of equalization the system adds is aweful and truly takes away from the dynamics of the source. I currently have a set of MB Quart Q-series installed up front running off of the factory amp. The equalization really takes away from a fantastic set of components.

I will have the Xtant and head unit installed soon. I can comment on the system more then.

Therefore, my conclusion is neutral. Not much different in sound. Remember, infinite baffle installs are far from ideal. I highly recommend going with a small sealed box with this sub.

Check this review out from PAS. While I understand the PAS guys are a bunch of numb nuts, the review is pretty good:
PAS says the SQ10….
Old 02-29-08, 11:45 AM
soaringsc3
Pole Position

does the stock subwoofer cover cover the new sub with no defects?
Old 02-29-08, 12:21 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soaringsc3
does the stock subwoofer cover cover the new sub with no defects?
Absolutely. The height of the SQ10 is actually lower than the OEM sub with the spacer ring.
Old 02-29-08, 03:34 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

wow...that all sounds sooo good! i am definitely looking into getting these now! thanks for the good find! now if someone could do a find on some nice and fast easy cash so i can afford my whole project..that would be great! haha
Old 02-29-08, 04:21 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the reason for you to choose SQ10 over KV.2? Thanks