Gathering necessary components for stereo install:98 SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 03:20 PM
Nova Natty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gathering necessary components for stereo install:98 SC

Hello Club Lexus.
I'm on the verge of purchasing a JVC KW-AVX800 . Theres nothing special about it other than its price (which I feel is competitive) and it being an in dash DVD player. So I'm open to other suggestions if anyone wants to add any.

Theres a local shop I want to commission for the install. What components and/or documentation do I need to provide them to aid them in the install. Its not just about "aiding" them, they are very competent at what they do, but I want to reduce the possibility accumulated fees due to "custom" work.

I plan on keeping my stock speaker/sub/amp setup BTW.
Old 03-06-08, 01:33 PM
Nova Natty
Driver School Candidate

C'mon guys, I know I'm new and don't have a fancy sig with all my mods I installed (hell, my car is in the body shop getting fixed) but that doesn't mean you have to ignore my post entirely. Any help?
Old 03-06-08, 01:58 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

There's a lot of things you need to buy.
First of all our systems are 2.5 din and if you have a bubbel din Stereo you may need to make a half din bracket to cover the hole below the stereo.
You'll also need to Toyota Harnesses.
If your deck is single Din then you may want to make a bracket to fit in the 2.5 din slot.
And... You can't use your stock amp with your aftermarket stereo you have to buy a new amp and cd changer they don't work with the aftermarket stereo but maybe if you buy a low powered amp you can keep your stock speakers..
Old 03-06-08, 04:49 PM
Nova Natty
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so the AMP is out, will I have to replace the sub as well?
Old 03-06-08, 05:41 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You CAN use the factory amp with the correct line level. Depending on the voltage output of your headunit, you may be able to run the low-level preamp outputs into the amp. If the voltage is not sufficient, get a line level adapter (HI-LO) with the powered outputs of the head unit. However, you're better off running your own wire from the head unit to the speakers. The amp in the SC blows ***.

The front speakers are in molded enclosures. The drivers are tiny. You can get tiny 4" drivers and make them fit, but you're still stuck with 4" drivers. Personally, I created custom speaker mounts to hold 5.25" mids using the back half of the Nakamichi enclosure ( The Nak enclosures are flat at the seam between front and rear sections, the Pioneers have a crazy jagged seam). I attached 1/2" MDF and routered out all the cutouts for the door panel.

Or you can get these:
4 TO 6½ Speaker Adapter LEXUS SC300 SC400 Soarer 92-00

The rear speakers are in the deck.

The rear sub is an infinite baffle setup and it sucks ***. Infinite baffle in general sucks. If a custom enclosure is out of your reach, pick up an aftermarket IB sub. Here is my 10" ED custom fitted into the factory sub location:
Elemental Designs SQ10 install into SC300 is complete

Here is the wiring diagram for the SC:
http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf

Please search around the audio video forums. Lots of nice writeups for getting into the SC stereo.