Sponsored by:

new interior. head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 04:51 PM
EpixINC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new interior. head unit

probably been done many times, but hey im in a good mood so i figured i would share what i did today. a buddy of mine came over with a JVC dvd indash player and asked me if i would install it in his car. he has had the car for like 3 weeks and has had no sounds whatsoever in the car. i looked in the trunk, but there is no amp whatsoever. also for some reason, the harness in his trunk has only one plug, whereas mine has like four or five. his is a 95 SC4 mine is a 92SC4 i dont think his had a 12 disc in the trunk like mine did , but it definitly looks like it had the factory amp because it has the subwoofer in the rear deck. so i took out his factory radio, and installed the DVD. and since i couldnt use the existing harness to run the radio i just ran wires directly to the speakers in the rear. the front, i just ran the wires from the radio into the harness that plugs in right underneath the kick panel. not really difficult, just time consuming. It looks clean as hell too, no wires hanging out or nothing. also we replaced the rear speakers with some Type S Alpine 6.5 in speakers. they sound great. so back to the info at hand. woops running out of space, gonna post a pic and continue in a reply.
Attached Thumbnails new interior. head unit-mineandjeff.jpg  
Old 03-08-08, 04:54 PM
EpixINC
Driver

okay back to the point at hand. so i installed the radio and of course since it is single din, it looks kinda crappy with the big open space underneath, and of course since i am in hawaii, it is practically impossible to find someplace that makes double din enclosures for radios. so i took some balsa wood, did my measurements, cut the wood, glued the wood, and painted it. came out looking pretty good. this is how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails new interior. head unit-jeff2.jpg  
Old 03-08-08, 04:57 PM
EpixINC
Driver

we had the whole can of spray paint left, so i told him about this guy on the forums who painted his console. and he was like "OH SHOOTS LES DO IT MANG" so i painted the console and the volume and AC *****. came out okay, but i think we should have sanded it first. we did two coats of black and two coats of clear coat.
Attached Thumbnails new interior. head unit-jeff1.jpg  
Old 03-08-08, 04:57 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a kit....its like 17 bux shipped
Old 03-08-08, 05:02 PM
EpixINC
Driver

i cant find the thread on the forum about the guy who painted his, but i could have sworn they said something about scuffing it with a green pad first. then painting it. not too shabby for the first time.... and it wasnt my car looking like that so, now i know !!! but a wierd thing happened. he told me he had issues with the AC and when we turned it on, if the AC button isnt lit, it blows fine, just not cold. when u hit the AC button, the climate control unit sits there and flashes on and off at one second intervals. also u can hear the motor surging a little. i did a visual inspection of the AC compressor, and it kicks a little, then off, then on, then off. in sequence with the surge of the motor. it is acting like there is no freon, but when i hit the valves with a small screw driver, i get freon coming out. like its over pressurized? does that happen? anyone ever had this issue before with the climate control?
Old 03-08-08, 06:55 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might be doing something similar (Black/Tan) using SEMs this summer..

This is the thread you're talking about by RedPhoenix: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=339847

Good job on the installation.
Old 03-08-08, 07:36 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evileagle
get a kit....its like 17 bux shipped
Old 03-08-08, 11:19 PM
phrozen
Lead Lap

there is not a kit made for this car... if there is then im not aware of it and im in the business. u have to make it out of wood or abs and paint match it.

this is a customer car i did a few weeks ago. its not hard.. anyone that woroks at a half decent shot can do this.

i will post pics of my car with a d3 in it tomorow
Old 03-08-08, 11:20 PM
phrozen
Lead Lap

also u should drill new holes on those factory brackets and flush moutn it with the climate control...
Old 03-09-08, 12:13 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

thats not too bad..pretty good. so you put in 6.5" in the rears? howd you do that? what mods did you have to do to put those in? im planning on upgrading my rears..but just dont know what mods i need to do to get the 6.5" to fit in there
Old 03-09-08, 05:56 AM
EpixINC
Driver

Originally Posted by phrozen
also u should drill new holes on those factory brackets and flush moutn it with the climate control...
i couldnt flush mount it with the climate, its a tilting face plate, so if i did flush mount, it would have hit the climate everytime it moved. where did u get the plastic piece? got aNY extras lying around. i might change it up...cuz we just used balsa wood, hot glue and some paint...LOL
Old 03-09-08, 05:57 AM
EpixINC
Driver

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
thats not too bad..pretty good. so you put in 6.5" in the rears? howd you do that? what mods did you have to do to put those in? im planning on upgrading my rears..but just dont know what mods i need to do to get the 6.5" to fit in there
i took the factory speakers out with the base they are attached to, put the 6.5 in, and took some one inch diameter washers in with the regular 10mm bolts. the washers gave enough overlap on the speakers to make it nice and solid... really quite easy.
Old 03-09-08, 06:01 AM
EpixINC
Driver

anyone got any ideas on the AC? did anyone notice i attempted to paint the console?
Old 03-09-08, 03:48 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

did you have to redill holes to fit those 6.5 in? and yea..the console looks a bit too shiny imo. you should do the labels and the hazard one too..that way it doesnt look so funny with the black and brown
Old 03-09-08, 09:01 PM
EpixINC
Driver

no you dont have to redrill the holes. just put some 1" diameter washers on the bolts and it holds the speakers tight.

Quick Reply: new interior. head unit