Sponsored by:

Eclipse Navi Headunit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 04:49 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eclipse Navi Headunit Questions

I'm in the midst of a purchase, and I need some quick advise before I pull the trigger. The search button didnt help me ANY.

Anyways, I'm debating whether to purchase an Eclipse AVN 5500 used in the classified for $600.

Or using, www.cartronixplus.com to purchase an Eclipse AVN 6620 for around $900.00. First of all, is anyone familiar with this site or has purchased from this site before? Its just the first link that popped to me in google.

Does anyone have any experiences with both? The reviews basically are saying the the 6620 has a larger screen and allows you to run DVD's and Navi simultaneously without switching DVDs/CDs. Are those the only differences?

Moreover, can u run rearview/backup cams from different companies in the backup cam auxillery, or does the backup cam have to be Eclipse specific? They have a couple nice nightvision backup cams for like half the price of the Eclipse backup cam unit.

Is there a way to disable the security feature so that the parking brake doesnt have to be engaged in order to watch DVD's?

The AVN 5500 is updated with the 2007 edition. How do I upgrade to the 2008 edition?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I just wanna be sure about what I'm getting into before I pull the trigger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Chris
Old 03-11-08, 10:22 AM
PlatinumES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any experience with cartronix.com, but a search for them on resellerratings.com didn't turn up anything alarming. If that price is real for an AVN6620 that would be a great deal! Yes, the newer 5510/6610/6620's have the wider screen, but for me it was the comments about the better ipod integration (full ipod control) than their predecessors that made a difference in selecting which AVN to buy. The 6620 will allow you to run the nav DVD disc and play a movie disc simultaneously. If you don't need to navigate and drive simultaneously, the 5500 should be just fine. Although I'm not sure about ipod integration on the 5500, it may have some limited ipod control.
I've not yet tried it myself, but I've been told that the parking brake lock can be over-ridden by routing the PB input wire to ground.
Not sure about the backup camera...
Eclipse is notoriously slow for map updates...expect the "2008" disc to be out in November of '09...
My wife has been the primary user of the AVN5510 in our ES300, she thinks it's works very well + ipod integration is great, it was purchased from sonicelectronix.com in July'07.

Last edited by PlatinumES; 03-11-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 10:30 AM
PlatinumES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to go with the older 5500, here is a link to the latest disc (not sure how much they are directly from Eclipse, likely more than $95...), if it's already included with the one in the classifieds, that's good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MDV-07D-Eclipse-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by PlatinumES; 03-11-08 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 12:08 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Thanks alot for the input guys. Now I was wondering if I could run a different backup camera besides the Eclipse BEC106 that is used with the AVN series. Crimestopper has a nighvision/infared backup cam called the Securvision that is half the price of the BEC106. Can u run different backup cams with the AVN, or does it have to be Eclipse specific units only?

Moreover, does the BEC106 have night vision capabilities? Anyone have this coupled with a AVN unit?
Old 03-11-08, 04:06 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the AVN6620 hands down.

no need to remove navi disc, actual ipod interface, full 7" screen, updated map disc, etc, etc.
Old 03-11-08, 04:49 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Thanks alot for the input guys. Now I was wondering if I could run a different backup camera besides the Eclipse BEC106 that is used with the AVN series. Crimestopper has a nighvision/infared backup cam called the Securvision that is half the price of the BEC106. Can u run different backup cams with the AVN, or does it have to be Eclipse specific units only?

Moreover, does the BEC106 have night vision capabilities? Anyone have this coupled with a AVN unit?
my friend, i will help u out here.
i had an eclipse nav unit and successfully used an aftermarket camera with it.
search my username here in the audio section and it will come up or call me in 3hrs time and i will explain it to u over the phone. am going to class now.
i will pm u my number in case u haven't found the thread before my class is over.
olddog
Old 03-12-08, 03:19 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

thanks guys for the input. i'm siding with the AVN 6620 with BEC106 cam. i'll let you guys know my decision with pix.

olddog u have pm