Sponsored by:

Who is Mark Levinson?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 05:50 PM
captaincru
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is Mark Levinson?

Who is Mark Levinson and why is his stereo so special?
Old 03-13-08, 08:37 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Mark Levinson Home Audio
Wiki entry

Extremely high end audio. The No.33H monoblock power amplifier weighs 200lbs each and costs $33,000 a pair. You don't connect this stuff up to your Sony speakers. You need speakers like Eggleston Ivy's that cost $50,000 each. As well as a listening room with the appropriate acoustic treatments.

Is the ML system in the Lexus this quality? Not even close. If you pull the speakers, you will see that you can purchase much better from almost any aftermarket audio company. Lexus did work with the ML/Harmon engineers to squeeze the best sound out of the price point that Lexus set for the equipment.

-Robert
Old 03-14-08, 08:48 PM
longshot
Driver School Candidate

Also, he was (is?) married to Kim Cattrall - the cougar on Sex and the City
Old 04-05-08, 01:11 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So basically we're getting cheated by Lexus =(

We'd hear the name Mark Levinson, look up his site and whoaaaa these are nice stuff in our cars (not mine but you get the point). But deep down inside it's not that good?
Old 04-05-08, 04:08 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

My ML stereo in my IS is pretty impressive.. im very happy with it. One of the best stock stereos ive ever heard...
Old 04-05-08, 04:20 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RTIS250
My ML stereo in my IS is pretty impressive.. im very happy with it. One of the best stock stereos ive ever heard...
What about hte bose system in the infinitis?
I tend to be very fond of them and think they are better than the MLs.. no?
Old 04-05-08, 06:09 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dislike Bose and all of their products. The best stock system I have heard was the Harman/Kardon in my mom's 04 Audi A6 Wagon. Partially because it was a wagon and partially because I had the settings to Perfect.

I love my stock system in my 00 RX.. bass+5 mid+2 treb+2. amazing.

I've always thought that Bose is wayyy to crisp sound to begin with. It's not something you can tune down. I like systems that are perfect the way they come, but can be tuned to either crisp or bassy.
Old 04-05-08, 07:51 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the ML systems that lexus offers are CRAP IMO. my friends ls430 UL has it and almost all the speakers are blown. my stock pioneers sound better and obviously last longer.
Old 04-05-08, 10:00 PM
LEX012006
Driver

It all boils down to the type of music you are listening to and the sound level you like to listen to it. Turned all the way up, jamming to some heavy bass line reggae or R&B. Or listening to rock or classical or heavy metal. Last time I checked, I have never heard of anyone blowing their speakers listening to Beethoven or Duke Ellington. But Iron Maiden, Run DMC, Sean Paul, Creed, Bob Marley, etc. These artist can put a hurting on almost any "factory" system if you listen to your music at such a high level, for long periods of time.
Old 04-06-08, 01:14 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by miniround
I dislike Bose and all of their products. The best stock system I have heard was the Harman/Kardon in my mom's 04 Audi A6 Wagon. Partially because it was a wagon and partially because I had the settings to Perfect.

I love my stock system in my 00 RX.. bass+5 mid+2 treb+2. amazing.

I've always thought that Bose is wayyy to crisp sound to begin with. It's not something you can tune down. I like systems that are perfect the way they come, but can be tuned to either crisp or bassy.
No way man, I used to have a Q...I was able to get that stock sub pushin good...until I popped it
Even the regular door speakers and tweeters were great too...When I got my subs I didn't replace them for a while...

Not sure which experience you have had with Bose car audio but I would defend it..and I'm pretty big on audio..
Old 04-06-08, 05:02 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BOSE in general in OEM car audio has come a long way from the early years. I myself am not a BOSE fan. I've owned cars with them and they were okay, but nothing great. However, the latest crop of BOSE systems in some cars are actually quite good IMHO. The Acura RL, and new Infiniti comes to mind. I thought they were pretty darn good and I was a die hard Car Audio guy back in my early days and have been able to sample some real good high end home audio gear at my friends Home Theater shop. Now, at least when it comes to OEM audio systems, I don't automatically dismiss the OEM BOSE systems. I at least sample it before making up my mind. There are still some crappy sounding BOSE systems in new cars today though.

IMHO, the name associated to the OEM audio system means little to nothing. It really is how the system is designed for the car itself. Generally the name brand OEM systems are better designed though, thus sound better, but that is not always the case. IMHO, many OEMs are using way too many speakers. Back in the day when I was into car audio, the goal was to achieve the desired effect or as close to it as possible with as little number of speakers as possible. Digital processing has helped with phasing a lot, but still, more is not always better.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 04-06-08 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 05:35 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought my friend's E36 M3 with Harmon Kardon system was really good. Seems I am able to push more out of my 97 SC speakers though, plus I have an aftermarket sub so I win when it comes to bass.

I think ML in the Lexus are pretty good...but I've only been in 2 cars with them. GS4 and a IS350.
Old 04-06-08, 07:43 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
BOSE in general in OEM car audio has come a long way from the early years. I myself am not a BOSE fan. I've owned cars with them and they were okay, but nothing great. However, the latest crop of BOSE systems in some cars are actually quite good IMHO. The Acura RL, and new Infiniti comes to mind. I thought they were pretty darn good and I was a die hard Car Audio guy back in my early days and have been able to sample some real good high end home audio gear at my friends Home Theater shop. Now, at least when it comes to OEM audio systems, I don't automatically dismiss the OEM BOSE systems. I at least sample it before making up my mind. There are still some crappy sounding BOSE systems in new cars today though.

IMHO, the name associated to the OEM audio system means little to nothing. It really is how the system is designed for the car itself. Generally the name brand OEM systems are better designed though, thus sound better, but that is not always the case. IMHO, many OEMs are using way too many speakers. Back in the day when I was into car audio, the goal was to achieve the desired effect or as close to it as possible with as little number of speakers as possible. Digital processing has helped with phasing a lot, but still, more is not always better.
Very well put.

Bose home audio is amazing though. I'm not that well versed in it..but from the stuff I've demo'ed...their high priced stuff is amazing.

I'm not a real fan of Harman speakers =-\. Have had some bad experiences with them.
Old 04-07-08, 06:59 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DJ TANTRA
Bose home audio is amazing though. I'm not that well versed in it..but from the stuff I've demo'ed...their high priced stuff is amazing.
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...t-bose-part-1/

There are dozens of sites like the one I linked above explaining why people pay over $1,000 for Bose speakers that cost less than $1 each to make.

-Robert
Old 04-07-08, 04:12 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robert_J
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...t-bose-part-1/

There are dozens of sites like the one I linked above explaining why people pay over $1,000 for Bose speakers that cost less than $1 each to make.

-Robert
It seems very opinion based and not at all that much factual.
I read through some of it in the begining and he bought up a point about the single box, and how if that goes everything goes....

all in all, I'm saying...my experience with bose has been a pleasurable one..and I don't say that because of the brand name..

I have Alphasonik subs in my car...2 12s rated at 3600 watts...I could have spent the same money and gotten a brand name pair as well....but again, it matters more about performance...

I'm not sure if other products that are comparable to bose give more bang for the buck...and I am sure they do because they are overpriced because of brand identity but that doesn't mean they are ****...lol

That is like me saying the Ipod is **** because it has brand identity..and that a sansa flash player is better...I think you seem to misinterpret me being favorable towards bose due to a brand identity...which is not the case..

Quick Reply: Who is Mark Levinson?