Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 02:05 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass

Hey everyone,

I am about to custom the trunk of my IS350. The problem is that i heard that the Fiberglass will start craking after a year or so. So i duno what to do now. I really want to make my trunk look good and fun, but i dunt want to redo it every year cuz its just not worth it. If so , that mean the fiberglass bodykit will start craking after a year as well!!.

Is there any other ways other than the fiberglass to custom your trunk,what and how?

To those how have a fiberglass custom trunk already or fiberglass bodykit, do you have an cracks on them and how long your have been having it for?

Plz i need your help her, tell me what you know

Thanks
Old 03-14-08, 07:05 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who ever told you that it cracks after a year? If done right it should last forever..
Old 03-14-08, 10:30 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

yea..ive never heard of that either. my friends have had theirs for years and still looking good
Old 03-15-08, 12:39 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

agreed with both above, fiberglass done right will not crack in a year unless you abuse it.

my new door panels are made up a lot of fiberglass and they are sold as can be.
Old 03-15-08, 10:19 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 88supramki
agreed with both above, fiberglass done right will not crack in a year unless you abuse it.

my new door panels are made up a lot of fiberglass and they are sold as can be.
Will, they said in a year or so. Even if it cracks in a 3 years i still think its not worth it.

The guy said, the bodykit wont crack, but the trunk will, and the reason is because of the vabration that is caused from the subs. Iam having 2 12" Hertz subs and they are so powerful, and im thinking to add one more.

The guy said if i dunt pain it and cover it with cloth or leather, then it wont crack, cuz what crack i think is the paint thing not the fiberglass itself,or somthing like that
Old 03-15-08, 02:16 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

LOL! @ the 2 12" Hertz being SO powerful

dude either sack up and pay the money for it or just get a box. Either way, you don't really know what you're talking about.

Unless you get in a wreck and are rear ended you won't crack the box if it's done right. The reason bodykits crack is because people get these wicked cool kits and then drive like normal. You need to be aware that you car is lower and you can't take driveways the same or park in parking spots the same.

oh yeah you might want to run spell check on your sig too.
Old 04-12-08, 11:20 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

LOL! @ the 2 12" Hertz being SO powerful

dude either sack up and pay the money for it or just get a box. Either way, you don't really know what you're talking about.

Unless you get in a wreck and are rear ended you won't crack the box if it's done right. The reason bodykits crack is because people get these wicked cool kits and then drive like normal. You need to be aware that you car is lower and you can't take driveways the same or park in parking spots the same.

oh yeah you might want to run spell check on your sig too.
loooooooool . Dude, till you get Hi performance Hertz stuff,keep your mouth shut cuz these stuff come all the way from Italy, you know, that place where the guys make the Lambos and Ferrais. So Iam sorry that you dunt have that much knowlegde of such a thing since you only know apline and JL cr**b.

So why the hating, but anyway keep playing with ur JL system cuz others system are sucks

Also, I do know what iam talking about. Doesnt mean you know something about audio you start acting like you know eveything, i am telling you what a very professinal guys said in a famous and well knowing shop with a million 1st place prizes in audio compitions, guys only do Ferraris,Lambos and porsche not some guy in a 95sc who think he knows everything and everyone else duno nothing

However, back to the subject. The guy said it will crack due to the HIGH VIBRATION from the subs and speakers in the trunk(talking from a long experance point of view) , he also said that he does not mind doing it , he just telling me so i dunt come back later and said why you didnt tell me that. I beleive most of the shops out there will do it without even mentioning anything as long as you r paying.

Regarding the bodykit, i do know that nothing will happen to it unless i hit it somewhere or as lease thats what the guy at the shop said so(maybe you know better , i duno)

Finally, if you dunt like my sig simply dunt read it

Oh by the way, just for the info, you wont find Hertz Hi-energy Subs here and there like JL,alpine and other brands that you can buy at walmart. Check there website, they dunt sell for puplic like other companies do,and there is not pricing as well , only thrugh thier own dealers

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/ check it yourself

Last edited by BlackGhost; 04-14-08 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-13-08, 12:52 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rgarjr
If done right it should last forever..
so true ..if done right it will last for a very long time thicker the fiberglass or molded to the car the better .

i had a knock off VIS kit before on my old car and lasted 4 1/2 years. befor i turned my car back too stock.

be carfull when you drive though potholes, speed bumps, etc.

its a thoughtfull decision for a car.

goodluck.
Old 04-13-08, 08:39 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joey-E
so true ..if done right it will last for a very long time thicker the fiberglass or molded to the car the better .

i had a knock off VIS kit before on my old car and lasted 4 1/2 years. befor i turned my car back too stock.

be carfull when you drive though potholes, speed bumps, etc.

its a thoughtfull decision for a car.

goodluck.
are you talking about the trunk custom or the bodykit
Old 04-13-08, 06:14 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had the bodykit the z3 fenders, nsx air ducts, fenderflares and spoiler fiberglass/molded to the trunk it all lasted...

just make sure your carefull and use thick layers but not too much fiberglass and what ever filler you like to make it more smooth out and blend with the car ...

if the body shop tells you they will redo it in a year then go else where and if you go to a good body shop then they should tell you it should last a long time and becarfull out on the road

makesure you see pics of thier work

goodluck
Old 04-13-08, 09:47 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BlackGhost
loooooooool . Dude, till you get Hi performance Hertz stuff,keep your mouth shut cuz these stuff come all the way from Italy, you know, that place where the guys make the Lambos and Ferrais. So Iam sorry that you dunt have that much knowlegde of such a thing since you only know apline and JL cr**b.

So why the hating, but anyway keep playing with ur JL system cuz others system are sucks

Also, I do know what iam talking about. Doesnt mean you know something about audio you start acting like you know eveything, i am telling you what a very professinal guys said in a famous and well knowing shop with a million 1st place prizes in audio compitions, guys only do Ferraris,Lambos and Borchs not some guy in a 95sc who think he knows everything and everyone else duno nothing

However, back to the subject. The guy said it will crack due to the HIGH VIBRATION from the subs and speakers in the trunk(talking from a long experance point of view) , he also said that he does not mind doing it , he just telling me so i dunt come back later and said why you didnt tell me that. I beleive most of the shops out there will do it without even mentioning anything as long as you r paying.

Regarding the bodykit, i do know that nothing will happen to it unless i hit it somewhere or as lease thats what the guy at the shop said so(maybe you know better , i duno)

Finally, if you dunt like my sig simply dunt read it

Oh by the way, just for the info, you wont find Hertz Hi-energy Subs here and there like JL,alpine and other brands that you can buy at walmart. Check there website, they dunt sell for puplic like other companies do,and there is not pricing as well , only thrugh thier own dealers

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/ check it yourself

LOL! Junior...take a few moments and clean the sand out of your vagina.

second don't act like you know anything about me, I didn't attack you at all so keep your piehole shut. I stated my personal opinion about your cool hertz equipment. If you don't like my opinion...tough, i'm not going to change it.

oooooooooooooo, you know a guy who works on ferraris! can i be your friend?!?!?!?!? wow, I feel so humble to actually be responding to your post. Does he really have a MILLION awards?! I would love for you to take a picture of them the next time you go waste his time at the shop he works at. Did he work on Pimp My Ride too?! cause that would be awesome and I would love for him to work on my car, if he would stoop so low as to work on a petty little 95SC

wait....hold on a sec....ferraris come from italy?! when did this happen? LOL!!! WTF is a borsch? is that some sort of secret Russian vehicle that's made after their lovely little soup dish? I guess it's too bad you dropped out of school cause you couldn't spell your way out of a paper bag.

I've worked and been into car audio probably longer than you've had your driver's license, noting from your spelling capability. I'd say that I know quite a bit about the industry. I worked for one of the biggest Focal dealers in the country...you know Focal...a company from F-R-A-N-C-E which is over in Europe along with Italy, which also make high end audio equipment.

You can hate on JL all you want, it's not going to make me cry in my cornflakes in the morning. I've seen every side of the spectrum in car audio and I went with the ones that I like and work for the applications that I have.

If you're that insecure about your product that you need to bash everything else with such fervor then by all means go ahead.

Have a nice night, hope you don't get too butt hurt by the truth that's been spoken in this thread.

Last edited by 88supramki; 04-14-08 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-14-08, 09:22 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

LOL! Junior...take a few moments and clean the sand out of your vagina.

second don't act like you know anything about me, I didn't attack you at all so keep your piehole shut. I stated my personal opinion about your cool hertz equipment. If you don't like my opinion...tough, i'm not going to change it.

oooooooooooooo, you know a guy who works on ferraris! can i be your friend?!?!?!?!? wow, I feel so humble to actually be responding to your post. Does he really have a MILLION awards?! I would love for you to take a picture of them the next time you go waste his time at the shop he works at. Did he work on Pimp My Ride too?! cause that would be awesome and I would love for him to work on my car, if he would stoop so low as to work on a petty little 95SC

wait....hold on a sec....ferraris come from italy?! when did this happen? LOL!!! WTF is a borsch? is that some sort of secret Russian vehicle that's made after their lovely little soup dish? I guess it's too bad you dropped out of school cause you couldn't spell your way out of a paper bag.

I've worked and been into car audio probably longer than you've had your driver's license, noting from your spelling capability. I'd say that I know quite a bit about the industry. I worked for one of the biggest Focal dealers in the country...you know Focal...a company from F-R-A-N-C-E which is over in Europe along with Italy, which also make high end audio equipment.

You can hate on JL all you want, it's not going to make me cry in my cornflakes in the morning. I've seen every side of the spectrum in car audio and I went with the ones that I like and work for the applications that I have.

If you're that insecure about your product that you need to bash everything else with such fervor then by all means go ahead.

Have a nice night, hope you don't get too butt hurt by the truth that's been spoken in this thread.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! JUNIOR LOOOOOOOOOOOL !! Say HI to ur mom, last night was great !!

Listen kid, Iam here to make friends not enemies. I would like to keep this thread CLEAN, so if dunt like me, please try to respect other members and the owners of this club.

Second, yes you did attack me, cuz I dunt just feel like attacking ppl back and waste my time for no reason, and sorry for making you cry. If you dunt like my equipment its cool,but no need for harassing other members just becuase its not your cup of tea. You can express your feeling in a more respectable way and i dun care if you change it or not. Its your opionion at the end of the day and it does not effect me in any possible way.

Also, The guy i told you about is a very good friend of my family and yes he only works with ferraris and Lambos otherwise he wont be wasting his time on a guy like me or you. So, if you dunt beleive it, don't. I couldn't care less.

Oh,, WTF??, ferraris come from italy???? yes they do, or at least that is up to the last time i was updated!!! You can check it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari
btw, man had landed on the moon too. I know, hard to believe LOOOOOOOL!

Yeah, btw, sorry ur Highness for being imperfect. I meant by (Borshe) Porsche and it's called TYPO or spelling mistake. I will make sure from next time to spend more time on ppl like u and run a spell check, cuz i guess some ppl have slower brains and they just cant get it right away. LOOOOOOOOOL

Maybe you have been in the car audio longer than me, but that doesnt mean u know better than everyone else, and i think i mentioned in my first post that what iam saying is not my opinion, its just what the GUY at the shop said which I belive might know a little better than a regular guy who USED to work in the 80's in a shop who USED to sell audio equipment. That what I was trying to say in my previous post. Your opionion is welcome and that is why I posted a thread in the first place,but there was no need to be rude to others.

Focal is a great equipment and I am kinda surprised that you know that they come from France and u got this right this time by urself(unlike Ferrari LOOOOOOOOL again check Wikipedia) and I have also tried them, cuz the guy i told you about is also one of the biggest dealers of them in here NOW. So guess what, i do know something,and sorry if that hurts your EGO and feelings(IF they do exist looool),cuz ur the only one who supposed to know everything and others don't.

I never said that I hate JL and I am sorry if you got that impression. All what I was tring to say is that don't degrade other systems in a rude way cuz you just don't like them or you can't afford them, seriously.

Finally, as I said earlier, I am not here to make enemies, I am here to make friends and share info with great ppl on here. So ur HIGHNESS try next time to pick your words and be nice to ppl and also respect this club and its rules.

Sorry if I hurt your feeling in any indirect way, and if you know something about the product or the questions I asked above, you're more than welcome to share your knowledge with us and Thanks in advance. Otherwise please don't,cuz I want to keep this thread clean in here.

Last edited by BlackGhost; 04-14-08 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 09:53 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joey-E
i had the bodykit the z3 fenders, nsx air ducts, fenderflares and spoiler fiberglass/molded to the trunk it all lasted...

just make sure your carefull and use thick layers but not too much fiberglass and what ever filler you like to make it more smooth out and blend with the car ...

if the body shop tells you they will redo it in a year then go else where and if you go to a good body shop then they should tell you it should last a long time and becarfull out on the road

makesure you see pics of thier work

goodluck

Thanks for the info, but as i mentioned before, I was mainly talking about the trunk custom for the audio system. Do you think it will crack due to vibration or not???
Old 04-15-08, 07:34 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I checked out what looks to the highest end model from Hertz - link. Decent specs. Xmax of 19mm and a BL of 13 Newton meters. BL is the measure of strength of the motor/voice coil structure.

I tried to find the appropriate information on the JL W7 and the BL was no where to be found. I did find some information that JL had optimized the BL for linear motion and not for pure strength. That lowers harmonic distortion at the extreme ends of the driver's stroke. But I did find the information for my favorite subs from TC Sounds/Audiopulse - the TC-3000/Axis series (link). Check out the xmax of 30mm and BL of 140 Newton meters. Motor strength alone, the Axis is 10 times as "powerful" as the Hertz listed above.

Basically, don't come in here without numbers to back up your descriptions. I'm sure that Hertz makes high quality products but they aren't quite as powerful as you descibe.

And to keep this thread on track, there are dozens of fiberglassing tutorials at sites like CA.com, Sounddomain, ICIX Sound, DIY Mobile Audio. I'm partial to DIYMA since it is a do-it-yourself site that stresses performance over name brand equipment. You will see Hertz and JL along with names like Cadence, Dayton Audio, Aurasound, Seas, etc. And if fiberglass didn't last more than a year or two, no one would buy a bass boat or a ski boat. They are nothing but glass. Use proper materials and techniques and your enclosure will last forever.

Finally, check out ICIX and search for IS-350. There's a couple of install logs there that are great.

-Robert
Old 04-15-08, 09:21 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robert_J
I checked out what looks to the highest end model from Hertz - link. Decent specs. Xmax of 19mm and a BL of 13 Newton meters. BL is the measure of strength of the motor/voice coil structure.

I tried to find the appropriate information on the JL W7 and the BL was no where to be found. I did find some information that JL had optimized the BL for linear motion and not for pure strength. That lowers harmonic distortion at the extreme ends of the driver's stroke. But I did find the information for my favorite subs from TC Sounds/Audiopulse - the TC-3000/Axis series (link). Check out the xmax of 30mm and BL of 140 Newton meters. Motor strength alone, the Axis is 10 times as "powerful" as the Hertz listed above.

Basically, don't come in here without numbers to back up your descriptions. I'm sure that Hertz makes high quality products but they aren't quite as powerful as you descibe.

And to keep this thread on track, there are dozens of fiberglassing tutorials at sites like CA.com, Sounddomain, ICIX Sound, DIY Mobile Audio. I'm partial to DIYMA since it is a do-it-yourself site that stresses performance over name brand equipment. You will see Hertz and JL along with names like Cadence, Dayton Audio, Aurasound, Seas, etc. And if fiberglass didn't last more than a year or two, no one would buy a bass boat or a ski boat. They are nothing but glass. Use proper materials and techniques and your enclosure will last forever.

Finally, check out ICIX and search for IS-350. There's a couple of install logs there that are great.

-Robert
Robert, YOU R THE MAN. I really respect ppl like you. you came here and post your opinion politily without any rudeness. Thanks again.

Back to the subject: As i said earlier, JL is a great product or not, that doesnot effect me, and as you said there is a million other product that have a better performance than Hartz. What i said was basiclly what the guy at the shop told me.

Btw, the link you sent was great, i like thier subs. Thanks

So, basiclly you are saying that if I install a fiberglass in my trunk there will be no problem whatsoever?? Cuz that is my main issue. If so, do you think I will need to bring the car to the shop so often to maintain it or the install would be find for more than 5 years?

Thanks again for your help and support, and waiting for respond

Quick Reply: Fiberglass