Sponsored by:

Replaced stock 10" ML sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 02:31 PM
bcorreia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replaced stock 10" ML sub

Let me start off by thanking everybody that contributes to this site.

The 10” stock ML sub in my Gs300 was blown. I did some research on this site and came to the conclusion I would replace it with a 10” sub from Elemental Designs. I read on a post that somebody just replaced the stock sub with the SD10. That sounded like a plan to me. Quick, easy replacement. After removing the stock sub I found that plan wasn’t going to work. I went back and found the thread. It was in an SC. Bummer…

I had the new sub in hand and was determined to make it work. Since it wasn’t going to mount in the existing opening I would mount it from the bottom. I went down to Home Depot and purchased a piece of ¾” MDF. I used the ML sub as a template to make the spacer. It worked great! I was able to use all the existing holes. Just used longer bolts with nuts on top. I left the existing bots on the bottom in place.

The new sub hits a lot harder and deeper. One problem. The rear deck vibrates. I used some fabric on the underside, around the seat belts to stop some of the noise. But with low bass the entire deck still makes noise.

Will putting a sound mat on top of the deck stop the rattle? Before I tear the car apart again I wanted to see if that would resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 03-17-08, 02:35 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

you can try dynamat! and how do you like the elemental design sq10. your ML amp pushs the ED sub nicely??
Old 03-17-08, 03:02 PM
bcorreia
Driver School Candidate

Yes, using the stock ML amp. You can now feel the beat. It definitely hits a lot harder than the stock sub. I was suprised that is rattles the car as much as it does.
Old 03-19-08, 03:18 PM
Tim
Pole Position

Default Pics

Wanted to see if you could post pics. Alot of people said this can fry your oem amp by just replacing the subs out? Did you do anymore research before deciding on Element sub? Thanks
Old 03-20-08, 11:06 AM
jdmisgay
Driver School Candidate

im having this problem too, the underside of the deck from the trunk is too complicated to dynamat (wires, holes, 3rd brake light parts. the rattling is from the little open holes that let air in. i have some left over leg weights from my training days laying around the house. i am going to put those on the deck to see if it stops rattling. when i put my hand on the rear deck it does solve the problem. kinda ghetto but its an easy way of stopping the rattles. my underside of the rear deck has some sound dampening from edead but all the holes arent covered up.
Old 03-20-08, 04:08 PM
bcorreia
Driver School Candidate

Tim,
I will try to take a couple of pic and post them. I just replaced the 2 ohm sub with a 2 ohm sub. My decision for going with the ED sub was they offer the 10” 2ohm IB sub. I had found a post that somebody was able to just pull the original sub and put in the SQ10. I later reread and found it was in another Lexus model.

jdmis,
Why are you putting the edead on the bottom and not on the top of the deck? Will it cause any issues if I cover all the holes with some sound dampening material?
Old 03-21-08, 09:56 AM
bcorreia
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by bcorreia; 03-21-08 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Trying to get the image working