Sponsored by:

sub deal HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 07:06 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sub deal HELP

ok i'm a noob with subs and amps and don't know what oms mean so i'll leave it for the CL professional to decide if this setup is good enough.

My goal is not to rock the neighborhood, but something that can sound good

here's the deal: amp, dual 10" subs and sealed box

amp is kenwood i think
Rated Power Output [14.4V]
- 170W x 2 at 4ohms [20-200kHz 0.08% THD] - 250W x 2 at 2ohms [1kHz 0.8% THD]
- 500W x 1 at Bridged 4ohms [1kHz 0.8% THD]
General Features
- Aluminum Die Cast Heat Sink - Power MOS-FET Switching Power Supply
- Built-in Variable Low-pass Filter 50-200Hz [24dB/oct] - Built-in Variable High-pass Filter 50-200Hz [12dB/oct]
- Line Output Terminals [RCA] for Extension - Gold Plated Power & Speaker Terminal
- Cooling Fan - Blue Illumination
- Speaker Level Output - Size [mm] : 380[W] x 64[H] x 286[D]

SUBWOOFER SPECS: clarion subs
750 Watts Maximum Music Power
375 Watts RMS
Dual 4 Ohm Heat Resistant Voice Coils
Polypropylene Electronic Spun Aluminum Dust Cap
Fiber Glass / Paper Cone Design
Nitrile Butadiene Rubber High Excursion Surround
Dual Strontium Ferrite Magnets
Hyper Extended Vented Pole Piece
Spider Exhaust Technology

retails for 650, but seller willing to let go for 399 (all in CDN$ so i don't know if that is cheap by US standards)
any help is appreciated
Old 03-28-08, 09:08 PM
Kaydee

i demand an answer...please
Old 03-28-08, 11:10 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok, so the subs can be wired into a 2 ohm load each, which means your amp will supply 250watts RMS per channel. Your subs run at 375watts RMS. So you will be underpowering your subs by about 125watts, but it should still work and sound decent. As far as price, i dunno what the conversion into US dollars is, so i dunno how good of a deal it is.
Old 03-29-08, 07:16 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RTGS400
Ok, so the subs can be wired into a 2 ohm load each, which means your amp will supply 250watts RMS per channel. Your subs run at 375watts RMS. So you will be underpowering your subs by about 125watts, but it should still work and sound decent.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with "underpowering" your subs. If there were, everyone would have issues when they turned the volume down. I currently have subs that can easily handle 3,000 watts but only feed them 800. Not a single issue.

The sub's RMS rating is how much power the voice coil will take before it melts. Nothing more. There is also mechanical power handling but that can only be determined after you choose an enclosure and model the system in software.

As for your choices, Clarion and Kenwood would not be my first choice but I am not sure what internet direct companies are available in Canada. I do know that the border taxes/fees are sometimes outrageous.

You posted the features of the Clarion subs. Those do nothing to predict the performance of the sub. That's like looking at sports cars and picking one because it is red. The Theile/Small parameters are a standardized set of measurements that are used to determine how a speaker performs in a particular environment using specialized software. I would suggest an SDX 10" from CSS (they are in BC) for $100 plus shipping powered by that Kenwood (or something better) amp. The drivers from CSS are extremely high quality. Plus with the XBL^2 low distortion technology, it will sound great.

-Robert
Old 03-29-08, 10:56 AM
Kaydee

alrighty...thx a lot. Yeah clarion are not my choice either...I was planning either to go JL or DD, but this one IS cheap, and want to know how good it is without putting a hole in my bank account