Wanting to get some component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 05:33 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to get some component speakers

Hello,
I want to upgrade my speakers to 2 or 3 way components for my car using my factory amp/head unit. My budget is $500 for 2 sets (front/rear). I was thinking about either buying a better set for the fronts than the rears or, just buying $500 front 2 or 3-way components and just leaving the rears stock. Can you guys help me with which speakers to buy or what setup I should go with?
TIA
-ByoungWoo

P.S. I was looking at some Infinity Kappa Components model: Perfect 6.1...around $230 shipped. Anyone have any experience with Infinity speakers before?
Old 05-01-08, 07:00 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I recommend spending your entire budget on your front speakers and either leaving the rears stock or not using them at all. You want your soundstage in FRONT of you. You don't go to a concert and listen with your back to the stage. When I say this, I always get "What about the passengers?" Who cares about the passengers in the back. None of them paid for the speakers or helped me install them. I installed them for my own enjoyment.

Infinity has great components as do dozens of other manufacturers. Dynaudio, CDT, Elemental Designs are just a few. I'd check out DIY Mobile Audio (www.diymobileaudio.com) and see what people are using in your budget range. They may mention brands that you have never heard of also. Trust the long time posters over there. They are interested in sound quality first.

-Robert

Last edited by Robert_J; 05-01-08 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-01-08, 12:53 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you going to be amping the components? if so, with what amplifier?

I'm running a 3 way component setup in my front stage with no rear speakers and I'm perfectly content with that right now.
Old 05-01-08, 01:42 PM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

I'm not going to put a aftermarket amp because there is going to be hissing noises/static noises. I tried to hook up an aftermarket amp to my stock speakers but, that's what happened. We hooked up a cleansweep and the static in the background was still there...I even turned the gain all the way down on the amp and it helped but, the static wouldn't go away! So, i'm going to just get some components and hook them up with my stock amp/head unit.
Old 05-01-08, 01:54 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

That's a problem with the amp you are using or the install. It is not indicative of all aftermarket amps. I have seen a few GREAT Lexus installs that use the factory head unit. Drop by the ICIX form and look at the IS-350 install log. It used the factory head unit and was still good enough to be a show car.

-Robert
Old 05-01-08, 08:44 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ByoungWoo
I'm not going to put a aftermarket amp because there is going to be hissing noises/static noises. I tried to hook up an aftermarket amp to my stock speakers but, that's what happened. We hooked up a cleansweep and the static in the background was still there...I even turned the gain all the way down on the amp and it helped but, the static wouldn't go away! So, i'm going to just get some components and hook them up with my stock amp/head unit.
Aftermarket amp will definately NOT add whine/noise if done properly. I have a HiFonics Zeus 5 channel running MB Quart seperates front and rear and a JL Audio IB4 10". All wired to factory head unit, Factory 12 disc changer AND I am still using the factory wiring harness for the components. The noise you got was most likely due to improper install.

As for speaker choices....Premier, by Pioneer has a GREAT new set that pretty much fits your budget if you only upgrade the fronts. Here is the link to the review in Car Audio and Electronics. I did get to audition a pair at the shop I work at and the sound is spectacular!! Especially for a moderately priced set at $550 suggested retail.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...prs/index.html
Old 05-02-08, 10:18 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

I'll try to clear some of the hissing noise...if not, then i'll go with the 2 component sets front and rear w/o an aftermarket amp. Thinking about the Premier TS-C720PRS mkorsu is talking about with some simple mtx audio 2-way components in the rear just to have that surround sound feeling.

What do you guys think?

Thanks guys for your help. I'll post some pictures after i'm done! =)