Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

[HELP] alternator whine on SC300 with 70-8112 harness!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 01:13 AM
chengxuez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [HELP] alternator whine on SC300 with 70-8112 harness!!!

Dear CL members,

Dear fellow members, I had a hard time to get rid of the alternator whine noise, I am using 70-8112 harness, but somehow I can not get rid of the noise, is it because my ground lead is not strong enough which I should attach it to the frame, or I should attach it to the metal part of the car?

Don’t give me wrong I did my research on this issue for a long while, but I didn’t want to cut any wires or anything if I don’t need to. Many threads will recommend rewiring the speakers, or an aftermarket amp or something.

I wanted to run a Carputer, but I just wanna get rid of this whining noise first so I can start my project!!

Any feedback will be great appreciated!!!

Thanks you guys
Old 05-04-08, 01:16 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't you need a noise reduction capacitor or whatever that is that you hook up on your system?
Old 05-04-08, 08:23 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you are adding a seperate head unit to the factory system you should get no alternator whine. Did you make your own ground connections or add any aftermarket amps?
Old 05-04-08, 10:09 PM
chengxuez
Rookie

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Since you are adding a seperate head unit to the factory system you should get no alternator whine. Did you make your own ground connections or add any aftermarket amps?
I removed the factory unit, and try to hook up a aftermarket unit to the factory amp. I was just try to connect the ground (Black wire) from the harness to the aftermarket unit's ground (Black one). I try two different head unit, they are all the same!!! and i tryed to ground the ground lead to the metal part where the shifting stick is (aorund center console) doesnt work!!
Old 05-04-08, 10:52 PM
Johnag
Driver School Candidate

I had horrible alternator whine trying to use a new head unit in my es300, ended up just getting a new amp and upgrading the components. No more alternator whine plus a much better sound.
Old 05-05-08, 06:31 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chengxuez
I removed the factory unit, and try to hook up a aftermarket unit to the factory amp. I was just try to connect the ground (Black wire) from the harness to the aftermarket unit's ground (Black one). I try two different head unit, they are all the same!!! and i tryed to ground the ground lead to the metal part where the shifting stick is (aorund center console) doesnt work!!
Start by trying a different ground location. Something under the dash closer to the drivers kick panel. IS the noise true alternator whine? Does the noise rise in frequency when you push the accelerator?
Old 05-07-08, 02:03 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i had the same problem.. tried many other places to ground it too.. so i ended up just selling my HU.. and using the stock one still.. haha..
Old 05-07-08, 02:44 AM
chengxuez
Rookie

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Start by trying a different ground location. Something under the dash closer to the drivers kick panel. IS the noise true alternator whine? Does the noise rise in frequency when you push the accelerator?
yea, I'll try that this weekend, I might try to hook it up to the metals around dash compoents. and Im 100% sure its alternator whine, it does go up when im accelaerating. so...

thanks for the help man!!!
Old 05-07-08, 02:48 AM
chengxuez
Rookie

Originally Posted by tuterz
i had the same problem.. tried many other places to ground it too.. so i ended up just selling my HU.. and using the stock one still.. haha..
Dude! I feel you!!
I really wanted to replace the HU since i did all my leds in Red, the a/c control and the clusters, so the HU doesn't match anymore, but due to the whining noise, which i tryed to get rid of it couple times already, still there and i am stuck with the factory HU right now.
Old 05-07-08, 02:50 AM
chengxuez
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnag
I had horrible alternator whine trying to use a new head unit in my es300, ended up just getting a new amp and upgrading the components. No more alternator whine plus a much better sound.
did you hook up the aftermarket one directly to the factory HU or you replace the whole amp and the HU?
Old 05-07-08, 11:18 PM
Johnag
Driver School Candidate

did you hook up the aftermarket one directly to the factory HU or you replace the whole amp and the HU?
I replaced the hu and amp. Now I've got 1700wrms of glorius whine free sound in the es
Old 05-08-08, 12:23 AM
Ac93sc
Driver

Dude! I feel you!!
I really wanted to replace the HU since i did all my leds in Red, the a/c control and the clusters, so the HU doesn't match anymore, but due to the whining noise, which i tryed to get rid of it couple times already, still there and i am stuck with the factory HU right now.

I have the same problem when I replace my HU with Panasonic Strada mp3/Navi. I can't stand the whine so I went back with the stock HU. Is there a way to get rid of the whining sound without changing the amp?
Old 05-09-08, 02:52 AM
chengxuez
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnag
I replaced the hu and amp. Now I've got 1700wrms of glorius whine free sound in the es
did you try the factory amp first before you replace the aftermarket amp?