Sponsored by:

Can This Be Done? (KEY FOB)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 11:14 PM
LEX SC4UCE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can This Be Done? (KEY FOB)

When I bought my car, the owner gave me 1 key and only 1 key. It is a worn down, ugly POS. Now, when i buy a luxury car, I expect to get luxury, and for many of you 92-95 owners out there, you know what i mean.

With all the new HOTT cars coming out, they also come with HOTT looking keys. Well I feel left out holding this piece of junk key so here's my question (sorry for the rant)

early sc4/300 owners we carry something like this...

right?

And would rather carry something more up to date and elegant like this...

right?!?

Well if the blank for the FOB looks like this..

and the chip for our one button key can possibly be used or programmed to be used with the FOB......

Can we have new keys like the 07/08's? Assuming that the laser cutting process is about the same for both keys?
Old 05-07-08, 11:46 PM
19ES250
Lead Lap

with enough money anything can be done.

But i am happy with my current Key, it is not old school, but very 007 like. Look at it for a second, the button to unlock the doors is almost hidden, you wouldn't know it was there unless you were told bout it. And they made LEXLOC for a while (don't know if they still do it) but if you unlock,lock, and unlock your car it starts.. better than push button starting cuase you won't accidentally do it. just my .02

Last edited by 19ES250; 05-07-08 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-08-08, 02:04 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

unlock lock unlock will start the car? are you kidding me? really?i have a 92 five speed will it start?
Old 05-08-08, 02:18 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool key. nice idea
Old 05-08-08, 06:17 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this one off ebay. The dealer wouldn't cut the blank it came with so I had to cut and reshape the end on my current key to make it work.
Old 05-08-08, 10:12 AM
LEX SC4UCE
Rookie

2.5tsoarer that looks sick!

i emailed sewell asking if they can do this and this is what they said...

"We do not offer an upgraded version of the key. We can cut any key you like to your VIN# , but we are unaware of retrofitting for the keys."

so im guessing ill ask them to cut this to my VIN

and send me the FOB it attatches to.

im pretty sure they can program the chip for our ecu's
Old 05-08-08, 10:23 AM
LEX SC4UCE
Rookie

Originally Posted by 19ES250
with enough money anything can be done.

But i am happy with my current Key, it is not old school, but very 007 like. Look at it for a second, the button to unlock the doors is almost hidden, you wouldn't know it was there unless you were told bout it. And they made LEXLOC for a while (don't know if they still do it) but if you unlock,lock, and unlock your car it starts.. better than push button starting cuase you won't accidentally do it. just my .02
is this for your ES or does this apply to all early Lexus vehicles?
Old 05-13-08, 01:26 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My friend just ordered something like this for his Scion tC. Here is the write up he will be following.
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...065cd09837015b
Old 05-13-08, 02:03 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

2.5t ur my hero, ive been thinking of doing something like this for a while, this is great news that this can be done

can you explain how you did the whole thing?
Old 05-13-08, 12:02 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

wouldnt it be inconvient to pull your key in an out everytime you turned your car on. not to mention reinserting it into the fob? great idea but i would find it inconvient. now what the one guy did with the switch blade would be ideal if i had your car.
Old 05-15-08, 12:39 PM
LEX SC4UCE
Rookie

Originally Posted by OneJay
My friend just ordered something like this for his Scion tC. Here is the write up he will be following.
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...065cd09837015b
i dont think it will be that easy for us 92-95 sc owners. I WISH our chip was that small, but i have a feeling its gonna take a lot more than that to retrofit our chip into the new FOB

heres what the chip looks like

im running into registration issues right now with the car, so this project will be put on hold till then, any info in the meantime will be helpful!
Old 05-18-08, 10:02 PM
Nomar1245
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEX SC4UCE
"We do not offer an upgraded version of the key. We can cut any key you like to your VIN# , but we are unaware of retrofitting for the keys."
That's mildly frightening, if you ask me. Seems like you could go to your neighbors, write down their vin number, and then order their car keys, or vice versa. Is there any other information they need besides a vin number and an address to ship to?
Old 05-18-08, 10:23 PM
phatboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300fives
unlock lock unlock will start the car? are you kidding me? really?i have a 92 five speed will it start?

oh man, i just read that and grabbed my keys and ran outside to try but it didnt work lol, but its a ls lol.... ohwell for that idea :P

as for it working for ur 5speed car the place that installs it will need to bypass your clutch and it will start up.... if u done the bypass clutch from now and on u wouldnt need to step on the clutch to start the car anymore. so just get in and turn the key
Old 05-23-08, 02:02 AM
LEX SC4UCE
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nomar1245
That's mildly frightening, if you ask me. Seems like you could go to your neighbors, write down their vin number, and then order their car keys, or vice versa. Is there any other information they need besides a vin number and an address to ship to?
yea you have to fax them proof of ownership of the car that must be in your name.
Old 05-23-08, 02:17 AM
LEX SC4UCE
Rookie

Originally Posted by fluxx
wouldnt it be inconvient to pull your key in an out everytime you turned your car on. not to mention reinserting it into the fob? great idea but i would find it inconvient. now what the one guy did with the switch blade would be ideal if i had your car.

I really must be retarded...i thought this was a flip-key. pulling it in and out of the FOB would be annoying. MANNNN i thought i was on to something

Quick Reply: Can This Be Done? (KEY FOB)