Sponsored by:

Eclipse AVN 6620 Installed with Pix

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 03:53 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eclipse AVN 6620 Installed with Pix

I bought my Eclipse AVN 6620 7.1 inch touch screen DVD Navi unit with Eclipse BEC 106 backup camera from www.cartronixplus.com. Legit Site. Lowest price on the net, fast shipping, and they packed everything perfectly. GREAT communication via e-mail and on the phone. They literally answered the phone every time I called. I am VERY please with their service and pricing.

Okay. I got the AVN 6620, BEC 106, and Carson double din for less than $1200.00 shipped to my door brand new.

I installed the unit with the help of my friend. Everything is extremely straightforward except for locating the speed sensor and grounding the parking brake which was kinda annoying.

Impressions:

This unit is very clean and stealthy. Kinda like the stock navi unit on roids. Its super clean and classy. The double din dash kit is seriously identical to the factory trim. Carson Toyota is the best.

The navigation is extremely accurate and easy to use. The DSP is high quality and makes my sounds louder and cleaner. Bass response from my IDMAX D4 V.2 probably gained the most in terms of clarity and loudness.

The AVN 6620 has two dual slots. One dedicated slot for DVD navi, and another for CD/WMA/CDR/DVD/DVDR/MP3 and pretty much anything else you could think of. As long as you ground the parking brake and trick the navi unit into thinking the brake is alwas engaged, you can run DVD's with navi simultaneous with no hitch watsoever. The backup cam is great. SUPER useful especially if you have dark tint and/or parking. It engages immediately when in reverse, and I set it up so that I can also use it anytime I want when driving.

The interface is a bit plain and choppy, but the DVD looks great. My only qualm is that in MP3 mode, it doesnt have the auto scroll down, you have to keep pressing the down key in order to scroll down continuously. Moreover, when you fastforward a song, it completely cuts out the sound when in fastforwarding mode so u cant hear the song in accelerated mode (so u basically cant tell where in the song u are).

I didnt get the ipod adapter, XM mod, or bluetooth mod, so I cant comment on the performance of those.

Besides that, I have absolutely nothing to complain about this unit. Not a single problem has arisen (knock on wood) and I get compliments from everybody. Its an extremely classy unit with tons of user friendly functionality and fits exactly into the Lexus interior theme
(Fujistu Ten baby ).

Pix:

Last edited by PushinLEX; 05-09-08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 03:58 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Default More Pics...

I apologize for the dirty and crappy pictures, I was just taking ghetto snap shots w/ my digi....
Old 05-09-08, 05:57 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWESOME set up bro...Ive found my new unit and like you said that cartroniXPLUS has great customer service. i had to almost hang up on my salesperson cause he kept telling me how good the unit. Thanks again
Old 05-09-08, 09:28 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice one bro.
looks awesome.
did you wire the camera so it turns on when you switch into reverse?
its nice to do that.
hit me up if u need some info on that.

olddog
Old 05-10-08, 09:44 AM
flipish
Driver School Candidate

VERY NICE!! eclipse units are awesome. Were you able to get the illumination to work? if so, would you be able to share what wire to tap into? iv looked for a long time and get somewhat annoyed when i have a super bright screen at night lol
Old 05-10-08, 02:43 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Nice job, it looks good. With an ipod adapter, you probably won't have to deal with changing cds or dvds out as often. I wish Carson Toyota had that Double Din kit for the LS!
Old 05-13-08, 03:16 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RICHYRICH
AWESOME set up bro...Ive found my new unit and like you said that cartroniXPLUS has great customer service. i had to almost hang up on my salesperson cause he kept telling me how good the unit. Thanks again
Yup, their great. Looking forward to your review on the bluetooth and ipod adapter mod for this unit.

Originally Posted by olddog
nice one bro.
looks awesome.
did you wire the camera so it turns on when you switch into reverse?
its nice to do that.
hit me up if u need some info on that.
olddog
Yup. I relayed the reverse cam wire into the reverse light harness. So everytime I go into reverse the camera goes into operation. Its pretty cool, I can also activate the backup cam anytime while driving as shown in the above pic. I was gonna attempt the backup cam fab you were talking about but just decided to keep it all Eclipse and uniform. Thanks for all the help throughout the process.

Originally Posted by flipish
VERY NICE!! eclipse units are awesome. Were you able to get the illumination to work? if so, would you be able to share what wire to tap into? iv looked for a long time and get somewhat annoyed when i have a super bright screen at night lol
Yup, my illumination works. I have no idea wat wire was tapped. My friend did 90% of the work. I'll ask him tonite.

Originally Posted by KilaWombat
Nice job, it looks good. With an ipod adapter, you probably won't have to deal with changing cds or dvds out as often. I wish Carson Toyota had that Double Din kit for the LS!
Yea I may add the ipod function at a later time. Yea man the Carson dash kit is MONEY. For my prior single din Alpine, I bought the cheaper TM Engineering dash kit and it was no where near as flush and colored matched as the Carson dash kit. Carson's is basically stock.
Old 05-13-08, 10:13 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the illumination wire should be tapped into the cigarette lighter.
Old 05-13-08, 10:18 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice
Old 05-14-08, 10:26 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

ipod adapter for the 6620 is pretty nice, the bluetooth is a POS. It's a licensed product with Parrot, it works if you're not using amplifiers to amplify your speakers. If you are using amps, then it's just a pain.

I've had every evolution of the AVN series units in my SC and I'm still in love with them. I just wish they would get their act together on the bluetooth aspect soon. You also could have tapped the reverse lead @ the shifter.
Old 05-15-08, 11:08 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

hey.. i got the avn 6600 and i am thinking of upgrading it to 6620. do you think its worth it??

sorry to be offtopic... hehe
Old 05-15-08, 01:00 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

^^

I was quite happy with my upgrade from the AVN6600 to the AVN6610 (which is identical to the AVN6620).

The larger screen makes the navi look better, and it's a lot cleaner of a look with the buttons on the bottom. I prefer the centralized menu as well as opposed for 3 differnet menu buttons.
Old 05-16-08, 05:31 PM
olddog
Pole Position

hey bro,
what did u use in holding the backup camera up?
am not seeing any screws or bolts so am guessing 3m tape or double sided tape?
Old 05-18-08, 09:53 PM
Nomar1245
Driver School Candidate

Thats a good look man. I never had any Eclipse equipment myself, but I've been real tempted more than once.
Old 05-21-08, 02:51 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
the illumination wire should be tapped into the cigarette lighter.
Yea thats it!

Originally Posted by Seize
Nice
Thanks dude.

Originally Posted by 88supramki
ipod adapter for the 6620 is pretty nice, the bluetooth is a POS. It's a licensed product with Parrot, it works if you're not using amplifiers to amplify your speakers. If you are using amps, then it's just a pain.

I've had every evolution of the AVN series units in my SC and I'm still in love with them. I just wish they would get their act together on the bluetooth aspect soon. You also could have tapped the reverse lead @ the shifter.
Thanks for the info. I probably wont do the bluetooth but may add the ipod adapter later.

Originally Posted by davidsong
hey.. i got the avn 6600 and i am thinking of upgrading it to 6620. do you think its worth it??

sorry to be offtopic... hehe
Nah, just keep yours and add all the additional features. Or you can always sell your AVN and upgrade.

Originally Posted by 88supramki
^^

I was quite happy with my upgrade from the AVN6600 to the AVN6610 (which is identical to the AVN6620).

The larger screen makes the navi look better, and it's a lot cleaner of a look with the buttons on the bottom. I prefer the centralized menu as well as opposed for 3 differnet menu buttons.
If the 6620 is identical as the 6610, why do they have different model numbers? Is there ANY difference?

Originally Posted by olddog
hey bro,
what did u use in holding the backup camera up?
am not seeing any screws or bolts so am guessing 3m tape or double sided tape?
Mike, the BEC 106 backup cam package comes with the camera metal fitment piece. This metal bracket fits flush over the camera and lets you angle the camera how u like it, then u screw it in. It has the option of screwing it in (it has holes where u can insert screws), but also the option of double sided tape (provided). I opted for the tape cuz i'm lazy. Trust me, that think is not gonna budge when driving. And if someone is gonna steal it. I cant really do anything about that and they will just have a broken, useless backup cam. Its hidden pretty well under the trunk bar and the black color of my car hides it well.

The backup cam really is convenient and is alot safer, especially with tints. The only thing I wish they would add in the future is a proximity beep censor so you know exactly how far you are away from a car or curb. You kinda have to gauge the screen and get used to the camera. But you get the hang of it, just like parallel parking.

Originally Posted by Nomar1245
Thats a good look man. I never had any Eclipse equipment myself, but I've been real tempted more than once.
Just make the jump. Its like OEM equipment on ROIDS.

Quick Reply: Eclipse AVN 6620 Installed with Pix